Smashbooking/Journaling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smashbooking/Journaling

This is something I've just now seen done as it's own thing instead of just calling it scrapbooking or collaging - is collaging a word? Anyway, here is an example of what I'm talking about - basically taking a book (it could be a blank journal, an existing book, or something you've bound together yourself) and creatively placing STUFF ON IT.

I'm thinking about getting started on one soon and calling it my Crisis Notebook - someplace to put quotes, images, stories, etc. that are comforting, inspiring and remind me what I'm working for. I want something to reinforce my determination when I really just want to throw in the towel - something I can go to when I'm attempting my home birth!

It would also make a nice outlet for spiritual thoughts and expression and I thought about doing one to go with my grimoire, too.

Has anyone made anything like this? There are lots of different ways they're done and I'm curious if anyone has any tips or tricks!

Re: Smashbooking/Journaling

...as someone that scrapbooks, I'd just consider it scrapbooking, lol!

if you used a real book, I'd maybe call it making an art book.

(looked it up when you talked about it before)

...either way, its really fun!
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

I've always just seen scrapbooking as more... kind of organized, with more space and consistency throughout the pages. I've never known much about scrapbooking, though. Where I've seen the term smash book used, it's very random and messy. It makes me think of that awesome experience I had with "Wreck This Journal", too

Comment

This idea is amazing. I'd love to try something like that. ...I've attempted Wreck this Journal, by the way. I couldn't do it. I couldn't wreck it.

Mostly art.

Comment

I did and it was amazingly cathartic. My favorite was dropping it from the top level of a parking structure (with a friend below to watch out for innocent heads - we did it very early in the morning so I didn't accidentally drop it on anyone). I still have it and treasure it!

This method seems like a lot of work and I can't decide if it might be worth it or not.
          Can you believe that this….. …..was once this: It took a lot of work but now the journal below is FULL of memories, notes, lists, drawings, etc. It is a simple process and you will get so much enjoyment out of it. It would be a fulfilling activity for older children as well. My 2-year-old […]

Now, to me, THIS seems more like scrapbooking than a smashbook, but I think it's because there's visible white space, which tells my brain it's a scrapbook.
          Hi everyone! I'm excited to report that my red Smashbook is all done! Yesterday was my monthly girls crop, and I played happily with it al...

Comment

I'd say it's just scrapbooking, but I get what you mean about the neatnss and the order.

My mom used to collage all the time when I was little. I only vaguely remember a man in a suit with the head of a crying baby-ha!

Either way I've done this, only I made a rain book. It's for when I feel stressed or I'm missing the rain. I've got poems and pictures and cool relaxing colors and such. There's a cd in the back of rain sounds too. When I tak a picture I'll show it. You should give us some pictures of yours!
            Please disregard typos in above post. I browse the web on a Nook and i suck at typing on touch screens.

Comment

Some of what I'm seeing would fall under bookbinding in my mind.
              my etsy store
              My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
              surrounded by plush, downy things,
              ill prepared, but willing,
              to descend."

Comment

Semi-related, I actually make cloth covered notebooks. They're composition books. Here's an example of one (held in my chubby little hand). The white paper you can see sticking out is because this particular book was still drying when I took the picture:
                0906112151.jpg
                Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I'm digging on the idea of a less organized looking scrapbook. I did my BoS as a scrapbook and that was fun, but I've sort of outgrown it now. I've been thinking of re-doing it for a while, and this inspired me, so thanks for that.

Comment

Working...
                  X