Looking for Goverment Advise in the form of Child support / Medical support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Goverment Advise in the form of Child support / Medical support

Hi all, I don't know if we have any support savy people, or even lawyers or such, but I'm looking for some advise on how to approach this and what questions to ask and so on.

Quick background because backgrounds are always important.

My son's mom and I split about 2 years ago. For a solid year or so I paid her 500$ per month out of my pocket in the form of 250 twice a month. No problems on either end. Then all of a sudden she decided she wanted to buy a car, and so on, and we got in a spat and she wound up taking me to child support court and we had a voluntary agreement put in place where I started paying her 680$ per month. No big deal.

However I got a new job! And we've made the agreement that were not going back to child support court or anything she's fine where she's at, she's not be greedy or anything so were content at this point in where things are.

Then all of a sudden I get a letter from the goverment stating I have to start providing my son's child support. OooooK. For the last 4 years he's been on Chip, and she qualified for the free version or whatever, and so things have been happy dandy, however now the goverment has decided to rear its ugly head.

So I started investigating, well my oldest (12) my wife's kid, is on Chip and we pay 35 bucks a month for it. Why can't I put him on that. Well since he doesn't live with me I can't choose his health care provider only his mother can.

ok....

So I call child support and they say the only thing I can do is convince her to drop the support order, and then fight with the people in charge of the medical because they will be reluctant to release me from it.

ok....

So now in stead of paying 25 bucks a month from my company for shitty health insurance, and my wife paying 25 bucks per month from her company for shitty health insurance, I have to pay 350 bucks per month from my company (because her's is 425) for a family plan of 3.

That sucks.

It's been almost a year now that I've been paying this because now i'm stuck in a plan, however open enrollment is coming up, and in the next few months will be my chance to change this plan and hopefully put 200-300 bucks a month back into my pocket.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or know strings I can pull or methods I can do to make it so that I'm not required to put him on my insurance? I'm pretty much tired of this shit, and I can't get her to drop the child support order because she just had a major surgery and will not be up and walking for at least 6 months, so...

any thoughts anyone?

Re: Looking for Goverment Advise in the form of Child support / Medical support

You have a child. It took two of you to make that child. I don't know what your circumstances are exactly, but you should be paying your share (scaled to your means) to pay for that child. Also, the health of that child is important, and if your insurance is the better and/or cheaper option, why is it a problem for you to do it? Isn't the health of your child more important than money?

Sorry if I'm sounding harsh here.

Comment

I wish I had some good advice, but it sounds as though you two need to get a formal solution worked out, with lawyers.
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Danie, he is not saying he doesn't want to pay? The problem is not with paying the money, it's with the government getting involved in what has already been privately arranged between him and his son's mother. At least that's how I read it. I wouldn't think you were harsh if he was saying he didn't want to pay but that is not the point of Asatru's post.

Asatru, I am not from the US and don't have kids so I'm afraid I can't offer any help there.
        http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Good point, shadow...I think there's some confusion about what exactly happened in the OP.
          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Ok I'm sorry if I misinterpreted it! I had somehow got the idea that he had an arrangement but then she decided to take him to court and they reached a new decision.

Comment

Working...
            X