Wild animals are roaming around in Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild animals are roaming around in Ohio

This is kinda scary...I live like an hour away from Zanesville. What I want to know is, why was this fruitcake allowed to continue keeping these animals?
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

Re: Wild animals are roaming around in Ohio

Oh my Gods.

It's horrible that people are allowed to keep non-native exotics as pets, especially when they can't afford to care for them anymore. I also think it's deplorable that the police are killing them instead of trying to trap, sedate, and remove them, but...

in a way this is awesome.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

The police seem to be going for extreme expediency. Given that sedatives don't always work perfectly (hit the wrong place on the target and they're useless, hit the right place but get too close and you might be dead before the drug takes effect) and there's a lot of these animals loose near a populated area, I can understand their reasoning but I'm not overly fond of the situation. If they get a chance to pull it off safely (i.e. daylight and relative isolation) then they may go for non-lethal responses.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

As much as I don't like it...I can't blame them for going to lethal responses first, for the animals that escaped.

Think about it...how many police departments---or even animal control departments for that matter---are equipped to deal with the simultaneous escape of several dozen wild animals (and not cuddly ones at that) in a populated area? Considering the issues with the owner in the past, there was no way to know if those animals were a public health risk, in addition to a public safety one (in which case, a bite from a monkey can be just as dangerous as an attack from a bear or wolf). Wild animals raised in captivity don't have the same human avoidance as most wild animals in the wild...

I don't envy them their job...but I sure as hell question a system that allows someone to have what is essentially a private zoo without some safe guards in place. I mean...my personal ethics on pet ownership are such that we don't own any pet that, should it escape, is either a danger to other people, or to the environment (snakes+everglades=bad)...which means no wild animals and no exotics...so I just can't fathom someone that would have lions and tigers and bears and wolves and... How the hell is that even LEGAL?!?!
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Yeah, but Jack Hanna and the Columbus Zoo are involved.

Are you trying to tell me that Jack Hanna isn't actually some amazing wild animal handler? That he lied to me every Saturday afternoon while I was a kid? That he and his Zoo coworkers couldn't go out and single-handedly round up every wayward beastie and catch them, Wild Kingdom-style?

/sarcasm
          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

The man who owned them apparently shot and killed himself after letting all the animals loose. They were all killed within 24 hours with the exception of three leopards.

From what I've read, the local law enforcement did the best they could, but I'm not happy to know they weren't better prepared. True, it might not be a part of their traditional training, but given the fact that they had these exotic animals in their area, they really could have better prepared for this, especially considering the sheriff stated he'd been worried something like that would happen for some time.

Aside from that, the man shouldn't have been allowed to have them in the first place, regardless of the fact he has a criminal background.

Comment

Working...
            X