Begginer's Help With Meditation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Begginer's Help With Meditation

Hi there! First of all sorry yukanaoe for polluting your topic with an off-topic thread. The thing is that I would like to give a shot for the whole meditating experience,but I don't know how to start, and since I am very new to this forum I decided to ask your guidance from here, where problems are discussed.

With all the best wishes.

Will

Hi there Will! I went ahead and made this a new thread so that your question wouldn't be lost!

Welcome to the forum

Dez
    Last edited by Dez; 25 Oct 2011, 11:06.

Re: Begginer's Help With Meditation

Hey, Will, I don't want to give you any bad information of my own, but I did think I should let you know that they have a very good section on meditation-along with other very helpful resources for beginners-at www.wicca.com . www.thewhitegoddess.co.uk is another very good all around website, if you hadn't found it yet. Hope this helps!

Comment

Well...the best place to start with learning meditation is to think about what it really is.

And...well, I think one of the best explanations of what (beginning) meditation *is* is "consciously self-directed relaxation". Before you can move on to changing levels of consciousness, etc, you need to learn to relax and focus. Forget everything else that anyone has ever suggested about what you should do or how you should do it,and look inward. What puts you in a relaxed state? What gives you clarity of thought and makes you aware of your own body in place and time? Start there. Use that activity to act as a bridge--pay attention to your movement, you breath, etc. Center yourself in that activity in the here and now, and find the very core of your being in it (aka centering). Then practice recreating that feeling where ever you are. Once you are proficient at that (and there is really no good way to explain what it feels like, but it will *click* and you will know it when you get it), move on to connecting your center (yourself) to that of the earth (grounding), start with visualizion--for some people the "tree of life" meditation works for this (and is easily googled for your browsing pleasure, for a version that works for you)...but other people need different visualization symbolism, so if being a coffee pot, plugged in to the outlet or a river or whatever other idea you can come up with works better, go for it.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

I don't want to sound snarky, but in all honesty. It might do you good to go browsing some of the books available for meditation techniques (usually a single book will list a hundred or more different techniques and settings you can use). A broad variety of techniques to look at would be a better place to start-so you could find what suits you best. Better than what a few people in a forum could recommend.

Comment

Working...
        X