Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police fire on Occupy Oakland protesters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Police fire on Occupy Oakland protesters.

The gauntlet's down, now. We'll see how this goes, especially since so many of the local groups are working so hard to self-police, in order to prevent something like this from happening.

With so many people taking video and pictures, though, I really can't believe that the Oakland PD is trying to claim they didn't use gas.

I really hope people can keep this peaceful, and in the right spirit. Given the way emotions are running in some cities, though, we'll see...

Police used tear gas on protesters at the Occupy Oakland movement on Tuesday, after clearing protesters from an area near city hall earlier in the day.
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Re: Police fire on Occupy Oakland protesters.

I find this particularly interesting, when you look at the difference between how Albany is handling it vs. the rest of NY and particularly here in Oakland (particularly when you compare it to LA, where the city council actually passed an ordinance in support of them)...to turn what *was* largely a peaceful and self-policed protest to an effing police-led riot.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

It's not the first time something like that has happened in Oakland...it's one of the highest crime areas in that part of CA, and thus very dangerous for the police who work there. Because of that, you get hair-trigger reactions, like the unarmed man who was shot and killed on BART back in 2009.

Comment

Scott Olsen, 24, in hospital with fractured skull and brain swelling after allegedly being hit by a police projectile in Oakland
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Oh no. Was really hoping for better news....I hope he regains full mental capacity soon. This is going to get very ugly....
          Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

Actually, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHlHiNEZ1wA might be something to look at. Everything is not always as it seems.

The right to assemble ended when they started throwing bottles and rocks at the police, The response by the police were riot control measures.

Comment

The police had also already been trying to remove that right to peaceably assemble. I can't blame the crowd for being pissed--and, even if they hadn't, the manner in which they deployed the flash bangs and tear gas canisters--by (obviously, if you watched any of the footage) targeting individuals and small groups (particularly when they were there to help people that were injured and on the ground) *is* incorrect and against policy, specifically because when shot directly at a person, they can be lethal.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                The police had also already been trying to remove that right to peaceably assemble. I can't blame the crowd for being pissed--and, even if they hadn't, the manner in which they deployed the flash bangs and tear gas canisters--by (obviously, if you watched any of the footage) targeting individuals and small groups (particularly when they were there to help people that were injured and on the ground) *is* incorrect and against policy, specifically because when shot directly at a person, they can be lethal.
                From what I understand the park there closes at night. Peacefully assemble does not include breaking curfews.

The crowd is pissed because it isn't getting what it wants.

I watched the films and saw the flash bangs and tear gas landing in open spaces, which then somebody would walk over and pick it up.

Comment

I have mixed feelings as well...

Watched what was going on in Chicago last night, the live stream, and you had the police come in and use pepper spray when they shouldn't have. At the same time, though, you have idiots who try to bate the police.

They really, really need to get some calm level-headed people up at the front line when that starts happening. There are protests going on all over, but if you get one altercation between some joker and the police, that's what people are going to see and remember, not the hundreds who were polite, respectful, and simply wanted their voices heard.

Comment

I disagree with the people who can't control their anger and thus act in such a foolish manner, like hitting the police and instigating police force.

HOWEVER, I have seen an incredible amount of unnecessary police force. I really believe that if the police don't interfere it will always remain a peaceful protest. Police intimidate people, it is a given... and it will be a peaceful protest so long as the police don't intimidate the entire crowd. Which is exactly what they do every time they arrive in their riot gear!

Comment

IMO, as presented in this blog
                      Whatever our values, beliefs, and principles may be, whether as individuals, small groups or as a people, whether religious, political or societal … we need to be able to express our feelings peacefully without any expectation of violence from our government. We have a guarantee for that that has worked just fine for the 30,000 pickets, in all 50 states, in over 500 cities and towns for the Westboro Baptist Church, even though as a society we’re overwhelmingly aligned against their expression.

But we’re so stubbornly partisan over the yet to be defined objectives of recent protestors, that protecting our constitution is being dangerously set aside in favor of petty name calling. If you have surmised the demands of the Occupy protesters and are against them, so be it. But think for a minute about what else you wouldn’t support, or better still, consider something you find completely unacceptable that your great-grandchildren could face. That’s my point … we can’t know right now how the American people will be affected by the seemingly systematic violence used to deny our right to protest what is perceived as corruption or faulty governmental policy.

Enforcing local curfew ordinances? If that’s what you think this is about, step back and take a look at the big picture. Military style attacks on unarmed citizens are taking place across America. For what? It shouldn’t matter.
                      sigpic

Comment

Beautifully put!! And it is exactly how I feel!!

Comment

What I find odd is blaming the police.

Tea party protests no problems.

Westboro protests no problems.

G20 protests huge problems.

WTO protests huge problems.

Vancouver loses huge problems...

There's a trend here.

And it's not the cops.

Comment

You don't have major corporations and banks donating large amounts of money to the NYPD during tea party protests. http://www.phuketword.com/changingwo...wn-on-protests

Comment

Originally posted by Dez View Post
                              You don't have major corporations and banks donating large amounts of money to the NYPD during tea party protests. http://www.phuketword.com/changingwo...wn-on-protests
                              Tea Party protests last a few hours.

These people have turned into squatters.

The ones arrested should have been arrested. If there was room they might have arrested more.

You don't get to break the law and then scream that you were arrested unjustly.

Comment

Working...
                              X