NaNoWriMo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NaNoWriMo

Is anyone else taking part in this this year? This is my very first attempt at this, after hearing about it on this forum last year.

It's 1:50am on the 1st Nov here and I have written my first 1000 words!!! Yay me
    http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Re: NaNoWriMo

NEVER heard of this but am DEFINITELY participating!!! Thank you SO much for mentioning this Good luck my friend! I have 3 hours yet to begin

Comment

NO!!!!

I don't have time this year...

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Interesting, I'm going to tell my youngest daughter about this. It's write up her ally.

Lame I know. But I couldn't resist.
        Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

Holy crap, it's already NaNoWriMo time? I might do it this year.
          �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
          ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
          Sneak Attack
          Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper Raven View Post
            Holy crap, it's already NaNoWriMo time? I might do it this year.
            Wow, I forget about it every year. If I have time ill do it
            Circe

Comment

Yes, my daughter is taking part as are some of her friends. I set them up with an e-list (I have several domains that I host so it was easy) for them to communicate and share amongst themselves. They seem to really enjoy it.

That said, I actually side with the critics of NaNoWriMo. I don't care how many words you've written, if it's not good writing it's not worth reading, if it's not worth reading don't write it. Additionally, what we really need is a NaNoREMo (National Novel READING Month). There's plenty of books out there and not enough READERS.

Why National Novel Writing Month is a waste of time and energy
              Re: Living History Blog
              Ancient Celtic Clans

Comment

Originally posted by Gobae View Post
                That said, I actually side with the critics of NaNoWriMo. I don't care how many words you've written, if it's not good writing it's not worth reading, if it's not worth reading don't write it.
                http://www.salon.com/2010/11/02/nanowrimo/
                Whilst I totally get this side of the argument doesn't it really depend on why someone is doing it in the first place? I am not writing something that I expect anyone to read. I am doing this to establish a habit of writing without editing to the point where I never actually end up with anything. I disagree that writing is ever a waste of time or 'not worth doing'. It's a skill and, as with any skill, the only way you are going to get better is to practice. It also confuses me as to why people are so concerned by NaNoWriMo. I don't want you [generic] to read what I've written so why do you care how I choose to spend my time during the month of November?

Comment

I don't necessarily care that you personally are doing NaNoWriMo, I just think the article is an interesting counter point.

I guess I'm also confused why people who like to write would be participating. Wouldn't/shouldn't they be writing all the time anyway? I'm also perplexed why those who are writing for only for themselves or for practice seem to announce their participation and word count. Now, please don't take those statements personally, my daughter and her friends are doing the exact same thing; I just don't understand it. Personally, I find the 10/10/10 challenge more interesting, but I wouldn't feel compelled to announce my participation or progress. Maybe it's just a introvert/extrovert difference? Dunno.
                  Re: Living History Blog
                  Ancient Celtic Clans

Comment

Not taken personally at all :-)

I can only speak for myself but announcing my participation and word count gives me more incentive to stick to it, and they do say it takes 30 days to develop a habit. And I like to write but am by no means a writer, I need all the practice I can get.

Comment

Please remember that this isn't the debate forum. NaNo isn't about producing a ready-for-the-editor manuscript in the first place. It's about the goal, and putting yourself to the task of writing a little bit every day. That said, I will also be participating this year. It'll be my first year participating in quite a few years.

I've got about 4.5k right now, so I'm a little behind...

Are we sharing profile links here as well?
                      It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
                      -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

Originally posted by kijani View Post
                        Please remember that this isn't the debate forum.
                        Sorry, my bad.

Are we sharing profile links here as well?
                        I'm happy to share profile links, and add people as writing buddies if they are interested.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/shadow1982

Hope I have done that correctly??

I have hit just over 17k so far, which I am really happy about. I wasn't so bothered about hitting 50k when I first started, it was just a good way for me to get writing, but I've discovered I am so competitive. I'm determined to do it now, if I can
                        Last edited by shadow1982; 09 Nov 2011, 06:18. Reason: Fixing typo

Comment

I really need to actually type it. So far half a notebook filled with writing
                          Circe

Comment

Working...
                          X