Genealogy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genealogy

Long story short, last year I found my birth parents and, on my bmother's side, was given a genealogy that goes back some 14 generations...almost complete through all lines....I was completely amazed.

Hence, when I found my bfather I decided to try and create a genealogy for his side, as well. To date, I have over 500 names on that side some lines going back 17 generations, into the 1300s.

I am finding genealogy soooo very interesting -- it's becoming an addiction, really...lol.

Any other genealogy buffs out there? What tools have you used? What types of records do you find easily accessible? If you are in North America, how are you finding information from other continents? I have a few lines I'd love to follow in to England, Ireland...and on my husbands side, Italy....

Also, accuracy can be an issue. I have found instances where other people have errors in their lines and then more people copy those errors so you have several sources saying 'yes, that is right', and, well, it's not...lol. Is there a way to avoid this sort of thing a little easier?

DNA testing -- has anyone done it?
    Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Re: Genealogy

Cool!

LDS Culture is BIG on genealogy, but it's usually something all the little old retired ladies do. I always loved it growing up, but have been trying to collect pictures and stories, not just names!

Haven't done DNA testing. It would be interesting to get done, though.

My dad's family is at a squicky spot where even after lots of trying, they can't figure out where their original Scottish ancestor came from. He left Aberdeen, but the family name is from the other side of the island (Skye/North Ireland), so no one knows how he ended up there.
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I love genealogy, researched my family history and found some really amazing things, I was born with six fingers and six toes, both hands, one foot, called hexadactyly or Sexadactyly, my mom, her mom, my great great grandmother, and so on had these. So I was told by my Aunt that we were kin to the giants, and started checking around, and there are alot of giant tribes back then, so what tribe we come from havent found out yet.

Comment

One of my aunts on my mother's side has out bloodline traced back to the early 1700s. I'd really like to know more about my father's, but I don't think anyone has worked on it.
        Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I have done some research, too.

And found that all my ancestors were "sons of citizens and winegrowers".

Here the original comment in Latin for nearly all my ancestors: "filius civis et vinitoris".

Comment

I found a couple of highwaymen in my grandmother's ancestors... all sorts of things really. The thing that amazes me most of all is that any of my and mr Penry's ancestors survived. At a time when life was 'nasty, brutish and short' there we were with all the muck shovellers...

My ancestors, I salute you.
            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I've done a bit on the ancestry website and have managed to get back to the early 1800s. Mostly they seem to be agricultural labourers. I haven't done any work on it in aaaaaaages and I'd like to get back to it. Following the women is the hardest, several of my lines stop when I don't have a maiden name for a female ancestor. So far the internet is the only tool I've used and I suspect getting back much further will need some real research.
              You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

Mine is some what simple. Welsh on my mothers side(and i would think a mix of both scot and irish) on my fathers side is Nores.

I have great pride in my familys roots.

Comment

Working...
                X