This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Penn State Scandal

Ok by now (hopefully) you have all been watching and or reading about the Penn State scandal. We can agree that Jerry Sandusky is the alleged perpetrator. This post really isn't about that man. It's about a few of the other staff members. Specifically Paterno and his conduct in handling the situation. I was debating on fb (yeah I know) with a friend there. And thankfully we are both passionate but level headed about this in our disagreement. He stated pretty much Paterno got a raw deal and he was only doing what he was supposed to do. According to who, I have no idea. He told his supervisor etc etc. And well alot of people seemed to have seen things over the years. Alot of people seemed to have told maybe someone they knew or trusted. Great.

How come not one.single.person. went to the damn Police? THAT is the RIGHT thing to do. Alot of staff members dropped the ball. Because you know..I am not sure everyone is very familiar with what to do when there is sexual child abuse charges. But I know a group of poeple who know exactly what to do. That would be the Police. Alot of people are bummed about Patreno being the 'scapegoat' and having him fired is over reaching.

Imagine if just one person. Just one. Who SAW. And I mean these staff members saw naked showers, oral sex and anal sex going on between Sundusky and CHILDREN. Imagine if just one told the cops.

No one wants to speak for the children who were victims. I will step in and ask:
    How come one of you couldn't tell the police what was being done to me?

I'd like to see how they would answer that.

Time Line of events
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: Penn State Scandal

There's a saying in the military...

Never be the lowest rank holding the bag.

But even then...there are just some things you call yourself on the off chance that someone else doesn't. Molesting kids is one of them.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post

Imagine if just one person. Just one. Who SAW. And I mean these staff members saw naked showers, oral sex and anal sex going on between Sundusky and CHILDREN. Imagine if just one told the cops.
      Uh. I knew the gist of what this bit of news was about but I didn't know there were witnesses to these things. I mean, I was thinking these staff members were talking about rumors of someone else's suspicions - something a reasonable person might hesitate to actually go to authorities about, something not at all concrete, something they have no evidence of. But if there are people that actually saw with their own eyes this happening, that's a whole new level of crazy. I can't imagine seeing such a thing and not STOPPING it, much less ignoring it and not calling the police immediately.

Comment

Yeah, if you read the time line you can see different staff members catching peeks of the naked showers and the anal sex going on.

What bothers me is Penn State peeps all up in arms and protesting over the removal of Paterno for the last game. THIS is what they are upset about?

Comment

From everything I have seen, Joe Paterno gets a report about sexual abuse. Like the man who reported it to him, he takes his (then second-hand) account to his superiors. They tell the man, who is in his 70's, that they will look into it.

Now, at what point has the man done anything morally or legally wrong? If someone tells me that they saw an under-aged boy being raped (and did nothing to intervene), how am I legally responsible? Is it my duty to take someone else's account of events to the police? I think not. I if reported every crime that I heard about, but did not witness first hand, how long would it be before the police arrest me for supplying false information leading to errant and erroneous investigations?

The legal onus falls to the man who witnessed the event. It was his duty as a citizen to report the crime, not Joe Paterno's.
          "The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are in the wrong. Nearly anybody will side with you when you are in the right."--Mark Twain

"There are only two types of people in this world who walk around beardless; boys and women. I am neither one." --Ancient Greek saying

Comment

I do believe it's the law that any person who works with children has to report alleged child abuse to the police. So yes. It is your duty to report it.

Why you even have to ask if I should report it or not is sorta...icky. Seriously. Who has to weigh their options when it comes to something like this?

Quite a few people SAW with their own eyes actual abuse. Not a single one went to the police. They should all be f'ing shot.

Comment

I do not know the exact extent of Joe Paterno's involvement with the Second Mile (but from what I can gather, it is essentially nil), so I cannot say with absolute certainty that he does not work with children. That said, I will agree that there are several other people who should have been fired in his place. Say, for instance, those people that actually witnessed the abuse first hand. Personally, had I been there, I would have beat the scumbag near to death right there and then. Those are the people who should have taken their information to the police.

Was Paterno aware of the investigation on Sandusky in '98? Possibly; the man was his assistant after all. Then again, he was 72 at that time, so who knows. When McQueary came to him (instead of the police) in '02 and told him what he had seen, he told his superiors. After that, the ball is out of his hands. I don't see any evidence of a cover-up on his part. Could he have been more vigorous in making sure that his bosses actually took care of things? Certainly, but again, by that time he was 76. I still cannot see how what he did (or did not do) merits his dismissal except that it is a lame attempt by Penn State to save face by removing anyone who could possibly be included in the scandal.
              "The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are in the wrong. Nearly anybody will side with you when you are in the right."--Mark Twain

"There are only two types of people in this world who walk around beardless; boys and women. I am neither one." --Ancient Greek saying

Comment

There are alleged rumors that Sandusky was pimping out the young boys to rich donors. I'm half believing but half open to said rumors.

I still strongly believe everyone who was told this was going on and did not call the police should be dealt with. There is no hemming and hawing when it comes to children.

Comment

But there is. Legally it's hearsay and worthless as testimony. The Assistant that did witness it and did NOTHING to stop the assault, guess what? He's now protected by whistle blower's law. He can't be fired.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyGarnetRose View Post
                    But there is. Legally it's hearsay and worthless as testimony.
                    Not admissible in a court of law doesn't mean it wouldn't have been investigated...nor that the person that originally saw it wouldn't have been questioned about what they saw.

I've been a mandated reporter in every job I've had since I've been 15 and taught my first swimming lessons for the YMCA...and I've been a supervisor in several capacities as a mandated reporter. If an employee came to me with concerns of physical or sexual abuse of a minor that they saw/thought they saw/overheard/can't believe that they saw (since the natural reaction for a good number of people, in my observation, is shock and disbelief), the FIRST thing I would do is call the police and let them handle it from there--as it is their JOB to do (the first thing they do is question the person that saw something). And yes, I've already done that and made that call, several times.
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                      Not admissible in a court of law doesn't mean it wouldn't have been investigated...nor that the person that originally saw it wouldn't have been questioned about what they saw.
                      True, I'm also wondering just what was seen and what was questioned.

I've been a mandated reporter in every job I've had since I've been 15 and taught my first swimming lessons for the YMCA...and I've been a supervisor in several capacities as a mandated reporter. If an employee came to me with concerns of physical or sexual abuse of a minor that they saw/thought they saw/overheard/can't believe that they saw (since the natural reaction for a good number of people, in my observation, is shock and disbelief), the FIRST thing I would do is call the police and let them handle it from there--as it is their JOB to do (the first thing they do is question the person that saw something). And yes, I've already done that and made that call, several times.
                      It seems, that Second Mile was informed, and did nothing about it. Jack Raykovitz received a call about the showering, never called the police and the assaults happened during Second Mile activities not Penn State. Sandusky wasn't even a coach for Penn State in 2002, he retired in 1999.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyGarnetRose View Post
                        True, I'm also wondering just what was seen and what was questioned.
                        I think *that* is probably the million dollar question...
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm completely amazed that anyone would excuse Paterno. Paterno is a coward and his self-servicing actions after finding out opened up even more young children to the rape and abuse of Sandusky. It would never have gone on as long as it had without the complicity of people in positions of authority, like Paterno, who had a responsibility to stop it as soon as they found out. The lack of an IMMEDIATE report to the police, by Paterno, clearly depicts a cover up....plain and simple. The fact is, these people were more worried about the reputation of the school than they were about the safety of the children in their care.

Shame on them, Shame on Paterno, and shame on anyone who exuses him.
                          Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cesara View Post
                            I'm completely amazed that anyone would excuse Paterno. Paterno is a coward and his self-servicing actions after finding out opened up even more young children to the rape and abuse of Sandusky. It would never have gone on as long as it had without the complicity of people in positions of authority, like Paterno, who had a responsibility to stop it as soon as they found out. The lack of an IMMEDIATE report to the police, by Paterno, clearly depicts a cover up....plain and simple. The fact is, these people were more worried about the reputation of the school than they were about the safety of the children in their care.

Shame on them, Shame on Paterno, and shame on anyone who exuses him.
                            Shame on you. Sandusky wasn't even faculty member at the school when Paterno was told by an assistant that also worked with Sandusky at Second Mile.

Paterno didn't see the abuse. He reported a rumor to his superior, who then reported it to the board of Second Mile where Sandusky was working with children.

So to say Paterno was at fault is really not putting the blame where it lies.

With Sandusky and the assistant that did nothing to stop it.

The assistant by the way who is protected now by whistle blower laws, he can't be fired, and the press can't release his name. So the one who ACTUALLY WITNESSED THE ABUSE has gotten off free of any punishment.

Comment

LGR, I was under the impression there was more than just one person who saw the abuse. Since there are (so far) aprox 9 victims. Imagine if just one. Just one had said something to the cops. How many kids do you think would have been saved.....

Comment

Working...
                              X