This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Penn State Scandal

This is horrible on so many levels. Years ago I dated a divorced Dad with 2 kids - the son, age 7 when I met him, always wanted to go to Penn State. I've kept in touch with him and he is a freshman there now. This is just blowing him and his friends away. They are seriously considering transferring to other schools. He wasn't on the team this year but was probably going to be on it as he was an excellent player in HS and wants (or wanted) a career as a coach or something similar. Now even that thought is being reconsidered.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Judge who ordered Sandusky free on bail was a volunteer at his charity.

Seriously?
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by LadyGarnetRose View Post
        Shame on you. Sandusky wasn't even faculty member at the school when Paterno was told by an assistant that also worked with Sandusky at Second Mile.
        Look, I don't give a rats ass what his position was at Penn State.....that has NOTHING to do with the fact that an adult human being was told that a child was being molested.....period. (but, for the record, Sandusky still held an honorary position (emeritus status) at Penn State.....in other words, he WAS still associated with Penn State, and Paterno et al, knew it)

Paterno didn't see the abuse. He reported a rumor to his superior, who then reported it to the board of Second Mile where Sandusky was working with children.
        That's how ALL reports start out -- rumor. That's why letting the police deal with it is the RIGHT thing to do.

The assistant by the way who is protected now by whistle blower laws, he can't be fired, and the press can't release his name. So the one who ACTUALLY WITNESSED THE ABUSE has gotten off free of any punishment.
        Yup.
        Last edited by cesara; 14 Nov 2011, 19:13.
        Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
          LGR, I was under the impression there was more than just one person who saw the abuse. Since there are (so far) aprox 9 victims. Imagine if just one. Just one had said something to the cops. How many kids do you think would have been saved.....
          Joe Paterno didn't see anything my problem with this is that the person that actual witnessed the wrong doing is being treated as a "hero".

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

Originally posted by cesara View Post
          Look, I don't give a rats ass what his position was at Penn State.....that has NOTHING to do with the fact that an adult human being was told that a child was being molested.....period. (but, for the record, Sandusky still held an honorary position (emeritus status) at Penn State.....in other words, he WAS still associated with Penn State, and Paterno et al, knew it)
          And the person that witnessed it, didn't go to the cops. He went to Paterno, who in turn when to his superior, who in turn went to the guy in charge of Second Mile.

So it seems, the guy who WITNESSED THE ABUSE should be the one in trouble here.

Comment

Let's ask a direct question here.

If you found out neighbor A heard that from neighbor B that your kid was anally raped in a shower by a coach...and neighbor A said, well I'll just tell the head of the neighborhood watch guy...because that's a supervisor...and of course you know he will do the right thing (riiiight) what words would you have for neighbor A and B? Would any of those words be 'why didn't you go to the P.O.L.I.C.E.?

Mine would be
            Neighbor B: You WITNESSED this with your own damn eyes. Why didn't you STOP it and why didn't you go to the police?

Neighbor A: You were TOLD by neighbor B that they WITNESSED this with their own damn eyes. Why didn't you go to the police.

Two people are aware of your kid getting it in the A.

Two people aren't going to be sleeping very comfy at night..any more.

Along with the coach I mean.

Comment

If you found out neighbor A heard that from neighbor B that your kid was anally raped in a shower by a coach...and neighbor A said, well I'll just tell the head of the neighborhood watch guy...because that's a supervisor...and of course you know he will do the right thing (riiiight) what words would you have for neighbor A and B? Would any of those words be 'why didn't you go to the P.O.L.I.C.E.?
              No, not really. If anything, I would ask why they did not come to me (since they are my neighbours and all that). That said, I would likely give neighbour A a pass. Honestly, if he didn't see it with his own eyes, the onus is not on him. Now, neighbour B, who (if we are sticking with the *actual* facts) is a strong, fit adult in his twenties, witnessed the thing and did nothing to stop it... well, let's just say that the police would find him dead in the dumpster, right next to the rapist.
              "The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are in the wrong. Nearly anybody will side with you when you are in the right."--Mark Twain

"There are only two types of people in this world who walk around beardless; boys and women. I am neither one." --Ancient Greek saying

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson Horizons View Post
                No, not really. If anything, I would ask why they did not come to me (since they are my neighbours and all that). That said, I would likely give neighbour A a pass. Honestly, if he didn't see it with his own eyes, the onus is not on him. Now, neighbour B, who (if we are sticking with the *actual* facts) is a strong, fit adult in his twenties, witnessed the thing and did nothing to stop it... well, let's just say that the police would find him dead in the dumpster, right next to the rapist.
                I can sorta agree with that. That's practical action most people would probably take. But I've been neighbor A and B. And both times I've picked up that phone no questions asked. It's just the right thing to do.

Comment

I guess I just don't see it that way. I have been both A and B as well (although admittedly to much lesser crimes than rape). Had I been man A in this case, I would have strongly counciled man B to take his story to the police (after I berated him for his initial inaction), but I would not have reported the crime myself to the police. I would have told the neighbour in question about what B told me he saw happen to his child, but I would avoid going to the authorities with potentially life-shattering hearsay.

Without knowing exactly how much Paterno knew and exactly how much involvement he had with Sandusky as the facts came to light, I am unwilling to condemn the man. Without all the facts, I have no way of knowing how I would have reacted in his shoes.
                  "The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are in the wrong. Nearly anybody will side with you when you are in the right."--Mark Twain

"There are only two types of people in this world who walk around beardless; boys and women. I am neither one." --Ancient Greek saying

Comment

I think I view it so strongly because I was actually a victim of such thing as a child. And I question why no one who saw it ever said anything. I ask what any child victim would ask. Why didn't anyone help me when I saw them see me? Let me tell you. Your view of people changes permanently after that. And trust is never the same.

Comment

Something else to consider.

Pennsylvania has no mandatory reporting by teachers, or coaches.

Information included at this site has been derived directly from the Pennsylvania Code, the Commonwealth's official publication of rules and regulations and from the Pennsylvania Bulletin, the Commonwealth's official gazette for information and rulemaking

Virginia is one of six states, including Pennsylvania, which does not require teachers or coaches to report abuse to directly police.

Comment

Joe Paterno didn't see anything my problem with this is that the person that actual witnessed the wrong doing is being treated as a "hero".

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

And the person that witnessed it, didn't go to the cops. He went to Paterno, who in turn when to his superior, who in turn went to the guy in charge of Second Mile.

So it seems, the guy who WITNESSED THE ABUSE should be the one in trouble here.
                        All of them....Paterno included.....at least until today's 'new information'.... (I guess we should have known it was coming)

McQueray says he did go to the police.....

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

Mine would be
                        Neighbor B: You WITNESSED this with your own damn eyes. Why didn't you STOP it and why didn't you go to the police?

Neighbor A: You were TOLD by neighbor B that they WITNESSED this with their own damn eyes. Why didn't you go to the police.

Two people are aware of your kid getting it in the A.

Two people aren't going to be sleeping very comfy at night..any more.

Along with the coach I mean.
                        My thoughts exactly....

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

Information included at this site has been derived directly from the Pennsylvania Code, the Commonwealth's official publication of rules and regulations and from the Pennsylvania Bulletin, the Commonwealth's official gazette for information and rulemaking

Virginia is one of six states, including Pennsylvania, which does not require teachers or coaches to report abuse to directly police.
                        Honestly, this is not about protocol -- this is about being human.
                        Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

snickers uncontrollably.

Comment

Its from The Onion...but its awesome.

Sad that the Onion could even write this piece...but in terms of what *should* be obvious to everyone...awesome.
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

Well said 10 year old little boys. Will do!

Comment

Working...
                              X