This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curious

I did a little course while at uni about Egyptian religion, and, in an aside, that was the first time I had heard of Kemetic reconstructionism.

What puzzles me is that I seem to remember from my class that the figure of the Pharaoh and the physical space of the two lands were quite important? How do you follow the religion without a Pharaoh? Or is one elected?

Re: Curious

I *think* it comes down to whether you are able to 'practice' on your own, or whether you need a 'higher command' to guide you, I'm no expert at all, but maybe, be being solitary in this belief/religion/whatever you want to refer to it as could be you, being your own Pharaoh.

But I could be absolutely completely wrong, so continue the research and good luck

~Also sorry about the bad grammar~
    "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
    - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Interesting question...I hadn't ever thought of that before.

I'm interested in seeing what Caelia has to say, since she's one of our most active Kemeticists.
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

*flies into the room*

It's actually a big debate in the Kemetic communities. The House of Netjer solved it for their organization by Rev. Tamara Siuda becoming the "pharaoh" of that faith. Some have decided to look at the leader of their respective country for solving that niche. People like me just kinda shrug it off.
        my etsy store
        My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
        surrounded by plush, downy things,
        ill prepared, but willing,
        to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by Christophilos View Post
          What puzzles me is that I seem to remember from my class that the figure of the Pharaoh and the physical space of the two lands were quite important? How do you follow the religion without a Pharaoh? Or is one elected?
          When I was with the House of Netjer, having a person acting as Pharaoh brought up more problems (for me, not necessarily for everyone) than it resolved. When I was a solitary reconstructionist I took the view that while the Pharaoh was important in the past, and perhaps even necessary - it was more something for those times, and not so much for our current time. Reconstructionists know that times have changed, and they're not going to be able to (or need to) reconstruct every aspect... there's a lot that can be brought into current practice, but some things might be best if left in the past, and understood from the perspective of that past society. For me, the issue of Pharaoh was one of those aspects.
          Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Interesting replies, thanks!

Comment

No problem. I did have something of an afterthought, though. One worthy note is the pharaoh was also the high priest of every temple. Even for that time period there was an interim high priest, if you will, due to the evident impossibility to lead each and every ritual. So in that respect the pharaoh is obsolete because each temple still has their own high priest/ess.
              my etsy store
              My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
              surrounded by plush, downy things,
              ill prepared, but willing,
              to descend."

Comment

Working...
              X