Black powder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black powder

Well I've been wondering if anybody else is into collecting, shooting, and making things for the black powder sport. I've been into it off and on for a long time now. I like to build kit guns as well as make my own accessory's like possible bags and bullet bags and so on. Here are some of the things I've been working on this past month. The CVA .54 cal rifle I just converted from a percussion rifle to a flintlock rifle.
    I've also made a new possible bag, bullet bag, patch knife and sheath as well as a cover for the frizzen and a small pouch to hold extra flints. Oh and a horse hair pan brush and powder funnel.

Note: The third photo from the left shows the rifle before the conversion was done.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Monk; 05 Dec 2011, 06:42.
    Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Re: Black powder

Here are some more photos of individual items.
    first photo on left is the funnel and brush with vent pick. Second photo is the patch knife in its sheath and of course the last is just the patch knife.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Monk; 05 Dec 2011, 06:51.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

I have no experience with this, but those are awesome, Monk. Great pictures!
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I wanted to get into black powder back when I worked at a foundry making parts for them. Everything from breech blocks to triggers to butt plates, we made. What a warm feeling having a piece of living history really is.

Then life got in the way.

Thank you for sharing your photos, Monk. It's great fun to see others still enjoying the art and the sport. Now if only we could hook up at a rendezvous, somewhere, it'd make it seriously awesome!

(I attended the meet in Friendship, Indiana, probably a dozen times, over the years at the foundry. I miss those, too!!)

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Thank you Dez and Chain.

I wish we could hook up too Chain. You've got me envious of your getting to go to Friendship. That has to be an amazing event to see and take part in I've done some reenacting and a couple small shoots here in Michigan. But nothing on the scale of Friendship.
          You said you use to work in a foundry Chain that's interesting, I use to be a pattern maker years ago. I should still have some of my tools around here like shrink scales and fillet balls.

Comment

The part that I did was working with wax injection molds, making the wax parts. But spending as much time as I did, there, I picked up quite a bit and even helped on some of the other activities. I got the job as a pity offering because of my legs... they only had me doing the things I could do without pain - the rest of the work they made a [long story] co-worker do, for me.

In another part of the same shop we were in, we leased space to a guy that made barrels. Now THAT was something to see!!

And down in Friendship, I spent all my time in the flea market, really. I mean, I watched a competition or two (tomahawk throwing!!!) but we were there to be selling our wares. Still, it was well worth the 13-hour drive to get there! It always went by WAY too fast!

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Even just getting to be around a small part of the event at Friendship would be exciting to me. Fun things always go by to fast unlike some other things in life.
              The making of barrels has always fascinated me both the old method as well as the new fan-dangled machining methods. I could watch this kind of thing for hours.

I built both of these rifles from kits as well as about six or more pistols including one revolver. The biggest problem I have is making myself slow down and doing it the right way.
              I find the process of browning the barrels fascinating. I would enjoy trying to make one from scratch.
              Last edited by Monk; 06 Dec 2011, 06:32.

Comment

So when do we get to play with the new toys?

I need to get a new frizzen for the Kentucky long riffle...
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  So when do we get to play with the new toys?

I need to get a new frizzen for the Kentucky long riffle...
                  I found the parts I needed on line at www.patsportinggoods.com and I did see frizzens available on their ebay site. They are located in Zeeland and didn't charge me a ton for shipping and were fast in getting it to me. I've forgotten if you rifle was from Dixie Gun Works or not but a replacement one is not that much.

As for when we can light up some targets we will have to work on that.

Comment

I made myself a crappy matchlock when I was a kid. That was heaps of fun until my mom found out about it lol. Firearms in general are pretty simple and the primitive ones are especially so. Best of all, no fracking paperwork, at least where I am. (Next they'll be taxing us for religious literature, just like China....)

Because of the relatively low power of primitive deflagrants and the general lack of legal restrictions, one can play with powder arms and come up with interesting designs. If you aren't 100% sure of what you are doing, I wouldn't try it without professional oversight though. Those who disagree, please raise your hook hands....

Comment

I've been Playing with black powder for a long time and know enough to use good judgement in these matters. And yes I've made a few "small" mistakes, but I still have all my appendages attached. So far all my toys are in good working order.

Comment

Working...
                      X