Yule/Solstice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yule/Solstice

I gotta admit, I'm excited about the holiday season for the first time in a long time this year.

The way we decided to handle it has been to still have stockings on Christmas(no more big expensive gifts from Santa) do things with L's family, etc., but have a nice family dinner and open family presents on the Solstice. Since I do pretty well with a turkey, we're giving a small goose a shot this year, too. New different meal for a new holiday.

Since Miss A is big enough to remember past seasons, we're hoping that will strike a nice balance.

What are you guys planning?
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Re: Yule/Solstice

About the same as you, but minus the goose. I have a turkey stashed away in the freezer. I think I'll cut it up and smoke it - one last smoking before the hard winter sets in.

Presents will be mostly symbolic and home made. It's kind of funnier that way, anyway.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I've noticed that, too!

We've always purchased presents before, and it's a completely different perspective to be putting the time and effort into making treats, etc. I still have a lot I need to do, though--I managed to get some cute fleece on sale, and am sewing hats and mittens for my kids and the little nieces and nephews...I need to get over the darn cold so that I can ship one of the pairs to New York in time!

Comment

I'm alone but I might invite a few friends over. I'm looking forward to it because I've had a hard winter and after the Solstice, the days will get longer and we're halfway to Spring! I'll be a bit sad though cuz the boy is coming to visit next weekend and he leaves a couple of days before.

I still celebrate Christmas as well, because except for a brief church phase my mom went through when I was 8-10, I was raised on a very secular Christmas that had a lot more to do with Santa, trees, food and gifts than Jesus. So it doesn't really hold a lot of significance with me as a particularly religious holiday, especially since most of my friends are atheists and they all celebrate it too!

Comment

The night before Solstice, we watch A Christmas Story - I don't know why that's a tradition, but I love watching it every year and it kind of fell into the routine!

We wake up before dawn on Solstice morning to greet the sun with a short ritual, some songs and hot cocoa before we open presents. And then we have a big meal that night.

We kind of celebrate Christmas in that we exchange gifts with the rest of our family on the 25th, but it's not religious for anyone. It's just an annual gift exchange really.

In past years, we've done the Yule log, but the tree has been the thing that sticks with us. I'm generally always really into the holidays so we do a lot of decorations if we can

Comment

We'll go to ritual next Friday, and do family ritual and gifts on the 17th I think...then we're having a Festivus party on the 23rd and going to church for the 25th--I think they are doing a Christmas Day potluck in the afternoon.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

I've already started celebrating... a bit here, a bit there and yes, the 25th too. Basically I like to spread my celebrations around a bit because I don't like investing too much into a single day. For me that's when things can go pear shaped because I've invested too much expectation into it. Be wary with a small goose - there's not a high meat ratio on a goose in my experience... have a few sausages ready too in order to pad things out if necessary. But it IS delicious! And use the fat (there will be loads) to make the most amazing roast potatoes!
              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                I've already started celebrating... a bit here, a bit there and yes, the 25th too. Basically I like to spread my celebrations around a bit because I don't like investing too much into a single day. For me that's when things can go pear shaped because I've invested too much expectation into it. Be wary with a small goose - there's not a high meat ratio on a goose in my experience... have a few sausages ready too in order to pad things out if necessary. But it IS delicious! And use the fat (there will be loads) to make the most amazing roast potatoes!
                Thank you for the hints, Tylluan!

It probably won't be a "small" small goose, but remember that here in America we're used to all our birds being legally pumped with steroids. The butcher's here sells turkeys that go all the way up to 23-25 pounds.

*finger crossed it comes from the merchant in time*

Does anyone one here do anything for St. Lucy's day, by any chance?

Comment

This is the hardest time of year for me. My mother usually has her yearly break down. And some of you know she's doing it all big break down this year. My father's birthday passed Dec 6. And that. That is still hard as hell on me. But I am throwing myself into holiday spirit as much as I can (within poor ass folk budget boundries). I started the Holiday card exchange here and with my fb friends. And I love coming home every night to new cards waiting for me! My holiday card display wall is growing! I started the Secret Santa gift exchange for work. I actually work both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. But you know. I'm just going to make sure everyone I come in contact with, will be cheery. Of course holiday movies are a must. As well as tamales!

The best part is that other than cards, I haven't spent a dime. And it's the BEST feeling in the world. I get to enjoy the actual holidays without the mall or money woes.

*which means I'm probably one of the few people I know actually celebrating the true spirit of the holidays..no matter the religion. Woo!
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I still observe Christmas for some of my good friends that are Christian, but I would really like to do something for the Solstice this year. I do give out gifts that I guess are Christmas gifts, because everyone else does, but this year i did manage to find some Yule and Winter Solstice greeting cards! I plan on purchasing some candles and finally getting to decorating a nice altar that I've wanted to have for a while now... I'd like to decorate it symbolically, celebrating the longest night of the year and the return of light.

Anyone find any nice looking Yule/Solstice greeting cards? I've found some online and a set on ebay, they were kind of an extra thing because I really got into it this year. I hoped to go holiday shopping but school work got in the way, hopefully soon I'll have some time.

Comment

I'm going to post this as my "Merry Christmas" FB status on Christmas:

the lyrics:
                      All the streets are filled with laughter and light
                      And the music of the season
                      And the merchants' windows are all bright
                      With the faces of the children
                      And the families hurrying to their homes
                      As the sky darkens and freezes
                      They'll be gathering around the hearths and tales
                      Giving thanks for all god's graces
                      And the birth of the rebel jesus
                      [ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/j/jackson..._20068653.html ]
                      Well they call him by the prince of peace
                      And they call him by the savior
                      And they pray to him upon the seas
                      And in every bold endeavor
                      As they fill his churches with their pride and gold
                      And their faith in him increases
                      But they've turned the nature that I worshipped in
                      From a temple to a robber's den
                      In the words of the rebel jesus

We guard our world with locks and guns
                      And we guard our fine possessions
                      And once a year when christmas comes
                      We give to our relations
                      And perhaps we give a little to the poor
                      If the generosity should seize us
                      But if any one of us should interfere
                      In the business of why they are poor
                      They get the same as the rebel jesus

But please forgive me if I seem
                      To take the tone of judgement
                      For I've no wish to come between
                      This day and your enjoyment
                      In this life of hardship and of earthly toil
                      We have need for anything that frees us
                      So I bid you pleasure
                      And I bid you cheer
                      From a heathen and a pagan
                      On the side of the rebel jesus.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

I just might have to steal that one Thal, wow.

Comment

The local moot in the town where I live has rented a room from the Quakers who are happy for us to hold a Yule ritual there so I am debating whether to go to that. My family is not religious so Christmas has always been about just spending time together and exchanging small gifts, I will be doing the same this year. I got to my sisters xmas eve, to my mums for dinner xmas day and then we have a big family get together on Boxing Day (do they have that in the US?) with all my aunts, uncles and cousins attending.
                          http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I observe Christmas as more an American pastime than the religious aspect of it and will be giving gifts and etc with my family. Other than that, I'm sure I'll be working on Christmas eve and day.
                            Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I'm quite excited this year. When I first got with my new boyfriend, he was quite negative about paganism, but as the seasons unfolded, he joined in with me on the sabbats and actually quite enjoyed the appreciation of nature it brought. This will be his first experience of Yule, so I hope he enjoys it.

As my closest family members are pagan too, we tend to do present sharing on Yule. My sister celebrates on Christmas day for the benefit of her husband and daughter, so we leave a few things under her tree for the 25th.

I'm sadly working on Yule itself this year, so I will go to my mum's for a yule dinner before work (I work nights), share a few presents and then leave the yule log ritual for my first free night, which is the 24th. The yule log ritual is a throw-back from my coven years that is such a massive part of the season that winter just wouldn't be the same without it. Rather than the boring old real log that can be a bit of a pain to make, we use the cake version, decorate it with holly and acorns etc, stick a candle in it and destroy it via the stomach, rather than throwing it in the fire. Now that I am not in a coven, I like to cut it up and share a slice with the important people in my life.

My mum does have a real yule log, but she doesn't burn it. She just places a candle in it and lets that represent the burning yule log. Can't say I blame her, it is very pretty.

Oh and of course, I HAVE to dance around to Emrald Rose's 'Santa Claus is Pagan too'. In fact, I have already started doing that on an almost daily basis!

Enjoy the season everyone!!
                              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Working...
                              X