On the acquisition of mead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the acquisition of mead.

I wasn't sure whether this was hobby-oriented, cooking-oriented, or if I should've just stereotyped the poor Heathens and posted this in their forum.

Do you drink mead? If so, do you make your own or do you have a supplier that you think makes a great product?

My ancestors were Germanic and I feel like I'm missing out by not trying this noble and honorable beverage. Perhaps if I get a taste for mead later, I can try strangling a wild boar and boasting about it to my friends around a bonfire.
    There once was a man who said though,
    It seems that I know that I know,
    What I'd like to see,
    Is the I that knows me,
    When I know that I know that I know.

Re: On the acquisition of mead.

It's usually safe to stereotype us. We all have great big beards (even the women!), long hair, drink copious amounts of ale and mead and enjoy long walks on the beach as long as they end with stripping a monastery of all its valuables and torching it. The only part I'm exaggerating about that is the bearded women; they're usually mustachioed.

As far as mead goes, I personally buy mine right now. There's a lot of local wineries that make it, so it's not to hard to find here. Georgia isn't exactly wine country, though, so I don't know how good your local supply would be; you might just want to trawl all the liquor stores in town to see if they have it. Make a weekend out of it, stock your cellar with enough booze to keep you dead to the world until spring...that's what I do, anyway

Concerning the manufacture of mead, it's a rather simple process, really. this page looks like it has enough info to get you started, especially look at this video for a quick guide. I personally just don't have the time to fool around with getting the process started (which is why I haven't done it yet), but once it's started the process basically runs itself.
    "Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Let a man never stir on his road a step
    without his weapons of war;
    for unsure is the knowing when the need shall arise
    of a spear on the way without.
    -

Comment

I knew you'd have something helpful to say, Thjoth

I still need to try the darn stuff.
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I'd suggest making your own mead (or beer). Beer is usually faster to make from beginning to drinking, mead (or any wine) takes longer to ferment, and needs to age a bit longer, but it's very doable.

The reason I recommend making it is that fermentation is one of the ancient magic arts (like 'smithing) and is worth learning just for that reason, if for no others.

But in the meantime, like Thjoth says, there are a lot of smaller wineries making very nice mead. Do like Thjoth suggests and try a bunch of different varieties until you find one you like. Invite friends over, and watch 13th Warrior.

As for the boar, they don't strangle well. I suggest a boar spear. And BBQ sauce.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Thjoth View Post
          It's usually safe to stereotype us. We all have great big beards (even the women!), long hair, drink copious amounts of ale and mead and enjoy long walks on the beach as long as they end with stripping a monastery of all its valuables and torching it. The only part I'm exaggerating about that is the bearded women; they're usually mustachioed.
          LOL. My first wife is a Heathen. If you look in our wedding picture, you can see her Mjolnir hanging from a string of white ribbon around her neck. Man, that pissed her mom off to no end.

You forgot swyving wenches, too.

As far as mead goes, I personally buy mine right now. There's a lot of local wineries that make it, so it's not to hard to find here. Georgia isn't exactly wine country, though, so I don't know how good your local supply would be; you might just want to trawl all the liquor stores in town to see if they have it. Make a weekend out of it, stock your cellar with enough booze to keep you dead to the world until spring...that's what I do, anyway
          I can't believe I actually found one. It's only about 45 minutes away from the house, too.

Georgia DOES actually have a few wineries around. They just aren't as common as what you'd find in, say, Pennsylvania.

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          I'd suggest making your own mead (or beer). Beer is usually faster to make from beginning to drinking, mead (or any wine) takes longer to ferment, and needs to age a bit longer, but it's very doable.

The reason I recommend making it is that fermentation is one of the ancient magic arts (like 'smithing) and is worth learning just for that reason, if for no others.

But in the meantime, like Thjoth says, there are a lot of smaller wineries making very nice mead. Do like Thjoth suggests and try a bunch of different varieties until you find one you like. Invite friends over, and watch 13th Warrior.

As for the boar, they don't strangle well. I suggest a boar spear. And BBQ sauce.
          But if I don't strangle it, how will be welcomed into the Hall of my ancestors?

Then again, I'm married to a redhead, so maybe they'll give me a mulligan.
          There once was a man who said though,
          It seems that I know that I know,
          What I'd like to see,
          Is the I that knows me,
          When I know that I know that I know.

Comment

I'd suggest making it! I think (from what I've read) it's more or less like making beer or wine, but using honey.

Other than that, I've only ever seen mead for sale in the Czech Republic and at a small winery back home in BC...actually they don't call themselves a winery because they -only- make mead....it's a meadery lol. They sell online though: http://tugwellcreekfarm.com/. I can attest they have the best mead I've ever tasted.
            Last edited by DanieMarie; 02 Jan 2012, 09:56.

Comment

I've never tried making it, but I'd sure like to try. Mead is absolutely delicious!

I've bought some from here, back when I lived in NY - http://www.limeadery.com/ - their mead is absolutely delicious, but it looks as if they've gone out of business...

Comment

Chaucer's mead is supposed to be excellent. You can order it online www.chaucerswine.com.
                I haven't had it yet, myself, but my bf used to be a very accomplished bee-keeper and knows a great deal about honey, etc., and says this stuff is great.
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

OMG I love Chaucer's mead! You can't order it online in KS, but most liquor stores carry it.
                  my etsy store
                  My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                  surrounded by plush, downy things,
                  ill prepared, but willing,
                  to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
                    OMG I love Chaucer's mead! You can't order it online in KS, but most liquor stores carry it.
                    Yup! I've had it too, and it is good!

Right now I have a bottle of "orange spice mead" from Cascade Winery, a Michigan winery. Don't know if it's any good or not, though. We got it for New Years, and didn't get around to drinking it.
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Making mead is a recent hobby of mine. I've also tried fermenting fruit a bit. As far as mead making goes, a lot of it has to do with my own ancestry, because mead was very common among all of the Slavic peoples. In Russia, Medovukha, and in Polish, Miod Pitny- it was drunk in these countries for centuries after it had died out in western Europe. In both of these countries, it was extremely popular until after the distillation of vodka developed. For Christmas, I recently got some imported Polish mead, called Dwojniak Maliniak, which is a kind of mead that is made from a 1:1 ratio of water to honey, as well as raspberry juice. It's aged 6 years in an oak barrel. I am almost afraid to open it, because I don't want to waste it. If you don't feel like importing, there's always the renaissance fair.

There is something kind of enchanting about watching little microorganisms grow and multiply, depleting their limited food supply until their own alcoholic waste kills them. Then, when you expose it to air, it all changes. It may actually get better at first, if it needs to breathe, but eventually bacteria will turn the alcohol into acetic acid, taking over where the dead yeast left off. Eventually, it turns to vinegar. It has a life cycle of its own, and it teaches you something about the cycle of life over long periods of time.

I have three gallons of mead fermenting right now. I used about 3.33 lbs of honey per gallon of water, and made sure that the majority of it was local, unfiltered, wild flower honey- because quality of honey does matter to me. I've used two types of red star yeast so far; their Cotes Des Blancs yeast, and their champaign yeast, both of which can ably ferment a mixture of honey and water. I also usually put lemon peels in the water when it's still boiling and leave them for the whole fermentation process in order to give the yeast nutrients, and contribute to the overall flavor.

You'll also need an air-lock that will allow CO2 to escape without allowing anything into the the fermenting vessel or "carboy" you use. You may also want to rack the whole thing after about one month, or until the bubbles stop- that means you siphon the liquid up and leave all of the sediment (dead yeast) that gathers at the bottom. Other than that, you just need to remember to boil everything, or sterilize it with the strongest liquor you have. If you siphon with your mouth during racking, I advise sterilizing even your mouth by rinsing it with spirits first. Once you siphon it, stick it in bottles that you can cork or seal while leaving very little room for air, and leave it until it's a few months old. A lot of people say at least six months, although you can do it a bit sooner. As for aging, there's practically no limit- older is always better.
                      Last edited by Yazichestvo; 04 Jan 2012, 13:56.
                      If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                        Chaucer's mead is supposed to be excellent. You can order it online www.chaucerswine.com.
                        Chaucer's is very good if you have a sweet tooth (like me) If you prefer something drier or with more complex flavors I strongly recommend Magpie Mead. They've got a wide range of meads and all are fantastic!
                        Re: Living History Blog
                        Ancient Celtic Clans

Comment

I love mead. It is one of the few alcoholic drinks I like. In fact, it is rare to catch me drinking any alcohol. However, I do know how to make mead and have done it a few times. I am currently working on getting some supplies so I can continue this hobby correctly using the honey from my parent's bee farm. Until then, I make a non-alcoholic versions. Even the non-alcoholic stuff is awesome.

Great....now I want some mead.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                            I haven't had it yet, myself, but my bf used to be a very accomplished bee-keeper and knows a great deal about honey, etc., and says this stuff is great.
                            Second on Chaucer's. My boyfriend was on a mead kick for a while and he loves the stuff. Never tried it myself (cuz I don't eat honey), but we got ours at Whole Foods. Do they have those near you?
                            Please disregard typos in above post. I browse the web on a Nook and i suck at typing on touch screens.

Comment

I've actually struggled to find a good mead near me but I have found good (and REALLY bad) 'tej'. Tej is an Ethiopian wine made with honey. Since 'mead' really just means anything fermented honey, tej is really also just mead. There are a million different kinds from sweet to sour to tasting like soap. But just thought I'd throw that out there if you ever see tej to give it a try too!

By the way, I prefer a dry mead. Some of the sweet meads are cloying and syrupy.
                              The Pagan Porch - a Pagan Homesteading forum

Sand Holler Farm Blog - aren't you just dying to know what I do all day?

Comment

Working...
                              X