Mesoamerican Pagan Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mesoamerican Pagan Thread

A thread for people interested in the belifes of the Ancient peoples of Mesoamerica. The Mesoamerican religion was practiced by the ancient peoples of Central Mexico, Guatemala, The Yucatan, Honduras, and El Salvador. While mostly destroyed by the Spanish invaders, the belifes of the Ancients survived in the form of folktales, modern practices, and even from some ancient texts that survived the destruction of the Spaniards.

I am a practitioner of the Maya religion, my family having practiced this form of reconstruction for many many years. I don't claim to be a perfect source, but I can answer most questions and outline basic practices if you so wish.

Re: Mesoamerican Pagan Thread

Interesting! Could you give me a basic run-down of the deities and the beliefs?
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Indeed I can,

Our Major Dieties are the Creator and his/her 4 sons. The Creator is Ometeotl, the lord of Duality. He can take on both a male and female form at anytime. His 4 sons are the major deities, they are Tezcatlipoca (The Dark God of Fate), Quetzalcoatl (God of Wind and Wisdom), Xipe Toltec (god of Agriculture), and Huitzilopochtli(Sun god). Other important gods include Tlaloc (Rain and Fertility God), Ix Cel (Goddess of the Moon), Tonantzin (Mother Goddess) and Xototl (Gide of the Dead). There are many other minor deities as well, the most important being the Hero Twins.

Blood Auto sacrifice (giving our own blood) is almost universal amongst us, but it is in the belief of that our blood is sacred, and therefore it's return to the Gods is a sacred rite in itself. We don't do human sacrifice anymore, but in some rural areas, Animal Sacrifice is still done. The most common rituals also involve giving incense as well.
      Last edited by Nahua; 04 Jan 2012, 06:57.

Comment

What are some of the holidays you celebrate?
        There once was a man who said though,
        It seems that I know that I know,
        What I'd like to see,
        Is the I that knows me,
        When I know that I know that I know.

Comment

So then you practice Aztec beliefs, given the gods you mention? Are there others who pay more attention to other groups--Olmec, Zapotec, Maya?

Are there particular texts you consider important? How much credibility do you give the texts and codexes written down by Catholic monks?
          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

As far as I can tell, Aztec and Maya groups tend to be the most popular. I have yet to come across any groups that practice Zapotec and Teotihuacano practices, and Olmec groups don't really exist because almost nothing is known about the Olmec beliefs except what is reconstructed.

As for texts, I consider some of the Maya codecies, like the Popol Vuh, important. The surviving pre-Columbian manuscripts of the Aztecs and Toltecs, like the Codex Boturini. I'm mixed when it comes to the texts written by monks; while they may show some of the practices, they have an expected tendency to exaggerate, demonize, and misinterpret things.

As for holidays, we all have a celebration on the summer and winter solstices, along with days to celebrate certain gods once a month.

Comment

Do you have any good books or online links to give me more info on Mesoamerican pagan beliefs? I feel like my journey is taking me down a different road, and I am trying to branch out and learn about different pagan traditions.

Also, what do you believe about the afterlife? Do you believe in reincarnation or a type of heaven?

Thank you.
              "Wealth is as swift | as a winking eye
              Of friends the falsest it is."

Havamal, 74

"The wolf that lies idle | shall win little meat,
              Or the sleeping man success."

Havamal, 58

Comment

Awesome thread! I've always been fascinated by Mesoamerican culture - and it runs in my family. My paternal grandfather explored much of Central America - even teaching in Universities there. My mother also heavily studied the cultures in college. I didn't even really know all that until I became interested in middle school. So something about both lines of my family draws me there. If I could pick anywhere else in the world to live at this very moment, it would be Guatemala. Just beautiful.

I've done lots of research into the culture/religion but it's been a few years since I actively read much about it. I think this is a great time for me to brush up. I used to do quite a bit of mayan/aztec inspired art. Might need to get back into that too!

ConnollyCelt, I'll look at my books when I get home - don't recall any titles off the top of my head. Most of my books were heavy on archaeology and history and not quite so much on the day to day life of the religious practices (which is mostly reconstruction as Nahua mentioned). But I think I have something along those lines.
                The Pagan Porch - a Pagan Homesteading forum

Sand Holler Farm Blog - aren't you just dying to know what I do all day?

Comment

Originally posted by ConnollyCelt View Post
                  Do you have any good books or online links to give me more info on Mesoamerican pagan beliefs? I feel like my journey is taking me down a different road, and I am trying to branch out and learn about different pagan traditions.

Also, what do you believe about the afterlife? Do you believe in reincarnation or a type of heaven?

Thank you.
                  Most of my knowlage was passed down to me from my family. They are natives of Guatemala, and practiced this religion in a form that has been mixed with Catholic Christianity. I personally, don't like the sycretic mix concidering that it was forced upon my ancestors and I do not believe in any of the Christian belifes, and have tried to root out the Catholic influences.

As for books and websites, these are some good sites:

http://www.famsi.org/- Possibaly the best online source of Mezoamerican History, Culture and Religon

http://www.sacred-texts.com/nam/pvuheng.htm- If you are serious about learning the belifes of the Maya, I suggest you read this.

http://www.amoxtli.org/cuezali/- This guy details Aztec Reconstructionism pretty well

http://www.amazon.com/Aztec-Maya-Myt.../dp/029278130X- Basic Run Down on Myths and Ledgends

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3585376-aztec-maya- Good book for history ,comprehensive mythical stories and information about new discoveries of the Mezoamerican Religious life.

As for the Afterlife, well that depends on how I die. If i die of natural causes, then my after life is to live in the underworld, which is a dark and dangerous place. I could equate it best with the Egyptian Afterlife. If I am killed in battle or if I would have been sacrificed, then I go on to a sort of heaven or paradise. Same if I drown or commit ritual suicide (Which, as far as I know, no one does anymore).

Originally posted by Madness View Post
                  Awesome thread! I've always been fascinated by Mesoamerican culture - and it runs in my family. My paternal grandfather explored much of Central America - even teaching in Universities there. My mother also heavily studied the cultures in college. I didn't even really know all that until I became interested in middle school. So something about both lines of my family draws me there. If I could pick anywhere else in the world to live at this very moment, it would be Guatemala. Just beautiful.

I've done lots of research into the culture/religion but it's been a few years since I actively read much about it. I think this is a great time for me to brush up. I used to do quite a bit of mayan/aztec inspired art. Might need to get back into that too!

ConnollyCelt, I'll look at my books when I get home - don't recall any titles off the top of my head. Most of my books were heavy on archaeology and history and not quite so much on the day to day life of the religious practices (which is mostly reconstruction as Nahua mentioned). But I think I have something along those lines.
                  Ah, another who was drawn to Mesoamerica by their family. I know how you feel, Mesoamerica runs though my blood as well; my mother is a native Guatemalan Maya and my Father is half Mexica (Aztec). As for living in Guatemala, take it from a native Guatemalan, I don't suggest you live there right now. Lots of trouble at the moment. Funny, I used to try and emulate the Maya style of art as well. My mother would find it funny that I had such a connection to my ancestors at such a young age.
                  Last edited by Nahua; 29 Jan 2012, 03:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Nahua View Post
                    Ah, another who was drawn to Mesoamerica by their family. I know how you feel, Mesoamerica runs though my blood as well; my mother is a native Guatemalan Maya and my Father is half Mexica (Aztec). As for living in Guatemala, take it from a native Guatemalan, I don't suggest you live there right now. Lots of trouble at the moment. Funny, I used to try and emulate the Maya style of art as well. My mother would find it funny that I had such a connection to my ancestors at such a young age.
                    I have no blood connection to the culture, just a fascination that seems to run in my family! Guatemala always seems to be in trouble! Seems like every time I've gone, some one has said that it was the worst time to be there.

I still need to dig up my history books - every time I check the forum, I'm at work so can't look at my shelf!
                    The Pagan Porch - a Pagan Homesteading forum

Sand Holler Farm Blog - aren't you just dying to know what I do all day?

Comment

Thanks so much Nahua, I picked up a copy of the Popol Vuh from my library today.

I have a few more questions though, which I hope you can answer and that is the question of morality. How do Mesoamerican pagans view things like greed and war? Do you believe war and stuff is necessary in the world, or do you believe that humans are better than that etc?

And my last question is what do Mesoamerican pagans think of other pagans. Do you believe the Roman, Norse and Greek pantheons exist too?
                      "Wealth is as swift | as a winking eye
                      Of friends the falsest it is."

Havamal, 74

"The wolf that lies idle | shall win little meat,
                      Or the sleeping man success."

Havamal, 58

Comment

On the Question of Morality, humans are nothing special. War, greed, and violence are unfortunate truths and nessecities of life, and Humans are no more above them than any animal.

As for beliefs in other deities, well that depends on the person. I personally, do believe in the other gods (in fact, I've had some experiences with the Gaulish gods and honor them as well, however, I don't consider myself Eclectic, as I don't mix the worship, I keep it separate and in their own distinct cultures and practices).

Comment

I actually don't have any questions. I'm just happy to see another one who share some of the same interests for ancient mesoamerica as I!
                          ~ flowers are our only garments
                          only songs make our pain subside ~

Comment

Working...
                          X