This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its cool! ...but is it art?

So...I've been checking out some of these interactive art exhibits and...I can't help but wonder...is it really "art"?

(what then is "art"?)

Either way, they are pretty cool!

source

Room of Heights

...and my personal fave (if you give kids stickers, what will they do to a white room):

from this

to this

Also I quite like this one--I probably watched the 8 minute video a half dozen times while I was at the art museum in St Louis last spring).
    Attached Files
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Its cool! ...but is it art?

It falls under conceptual art, in my opinion. While many frown upon it, I feel it qualifies as art when applied correctly. Then again, I believe art is a form of communication...
    my etsy store
    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

Comment

I think it's art.

Kinda like Theo Jansen's kinetic sculptural creatures: http://www.ted.com/talks/theo_jansen...creatures.html

The video's long, but worth it
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

It's instillation art. Which I find can be iffy, but in this case it seems really cool x
        "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

I fully admit, I don't often get concept art. But if you say it's art, then it's art.
          Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Both installation art and conceptual tend to get bad reputations because it is fairly easy to "fake" the form by a person with limited vision and/or talent, and these people tend to try to replace artistic vision with excess (if I see one more performance artist splash his/her blood around to "make a statement," I'll puke).

But done well, they are powerful art forms, making exhibition space feel like sacred space, and the actions of performers can become like rituals.

These look like they were done well.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

We have this debate in my household at nearly every big family gathering. My father-in-law is an artist (currently does rather abstract stuff but has done landscape, etc - also he was a high school art teacher for decades). My cousin actually makes a living selling his oil paintings (even Starbucks bought a line of his stuff!). My brother and sister-in-law make their livings being 'art advocates' (they are artists, but mostly these days run non-profits, galleries, etc). My brother-in-law is a graphic designer. My mom went to art college. My aunt is an art collector. Get all those people in a room and you have an instant art debate.

Typically it centers around "what is art?" There are some that believe as long as the creator calls it 'art' and intends it to be 'art', then it's art. Others believe that it must instill an emotional reaction in the viewer - and more than just disgust or questioning why the thing exists in the first place. This rules out a lot of the "shock" art I've seen in contemporary galleries lately. I'm of the opinion that I can decide FOR MYSELF what I think is art and what is not. That doesn't make a particular piece 'art' or 'crap'. It just means that if I think it's a load of bull, it is a load of bull TO ME.

There is also debate about the artists' skills and intentions. Of course, an artist does not have to be classically or formally trained, but when a 5 year old splashes paint on a canvas, is that an abstract masterpiece (to anyone except the parents of course!). I always think back to Jackson Pollock. I truly thought his art was pretty lame - hardly qualifying as art TO ME.

I then took a course on 'Art, Photography, and Culture of the American West". In it, we had a section on Pollock, which rather surprised me (how was he thrown in with the likes of Charles Russel and Frederick Remington!?!). We learned of his early work - farm landscape paintings! And of his study of Native American art, when he began to incorporate Kokopelli images into his paintings. It was a smooth transition from representational to "splashes on paper" (he started doing repetitive Kokopellis - little squiggles). And finally, to completely annihilate my vision of Pollock as a paint-flinging hack, we watched a documentary on him producing a painting. The man was INTENSE. He concentrated on every single drop of painting hitting the work. He agonized and re-figured and looked from every angle. It was clearly art he was making.

So I have changed my opinion of art somewhat. It's not just what *I* think is art (though I still do believe that is a valid definition), it's about intention. I know some people my brother deals with just throw crap together not thinking about it. Not only does it not look like art to me, but I really don't think it is art to anyone.
              The Pagan Porch - a Pagan Homesteading forum

Sand Holler Farm Blog - aren't you just dying to know what I do all day?

Comment

I always feel like abstract art (like Jackson Pollock's stuff, 'real' abstract art), and most performance art, makes me out to be a rube. I can't understand any of it, it evokes no response in me, and I can't ever make an opinion of what the artist was 'going for'. Show me three broad streaks of paint on a white canvas & to me it looks like the artist was testing the colors to see if they looked good together. That paint-drizzle thing looks to me like an old drop-sheet used by house-painters to protect the floor. Most performance art makes me uncomfortable and embarrassed.

I like abstract sculpture better than paintings, but not by much. Our local government center features art pieces by various artists, and this one called 'I Love You No Matter the Earth is Destroyed' by Yo Fukui just floored me. All I could think was, "yup, my tax dollars hard at work"... it reminded me a lot of the mom's art from Beetlejuice :P.

Click image for larger version

Name:	iq_27862153_thumb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	351393

Installation art, especially interactive installation art where the viewer is encouraged to get touchy-feely, at least fills me up with curiosity.
                The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

There is art which most people can readily grasp - it's like "pop tune" art.

There is also art which requires an education, or, at least, experience either with art itself, or with art criticism. This would be like the "classical music" form of art.

There is also art which is so involved in the process of making art that it really appeals only to other artists. This is like the "avant garde music" ( like John Cage) form of art

Unfortunately, art of the latter two types can (but doesn't necessarily) lead to all sorts of bologna being passed off as art - if the artist or his/her promotors can spin a high-sounding tale.

The best bet is in art, as in all things, to keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out. If you like it, like it, but if you don't, see what others are saying - you may have missed something - but use your own judgement in the end.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I found a good quote for this thread:

"Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know."
                    - Groucho Marx

Yup.
                    The Pagan Porch - a Pagan Homesteading forum

Sand Holler Farm Blog - aren't you just dying to know what I do all day?

Comment

Well, this page is for Groucho, then:

http://www.odditycentral.com/tag/weird-art

Warning - sensitive a stomach and good taste should prevent you from opening this link.

Comment

I enjoyed this one...

...I have better ways to spend $10,000.
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Thalassa, this is your lucky day. I'm selling paintings just like those for a mere $1000 each. You could buy one for behind the couch, and one for behind the headboard, and still have $8000 left over to buy noodles and dog toys.

I liked this one -

http://www.odditycentral.com/videos/...u-to-puke.html

As much fun to make as it is to look at.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                            Thalassa, this is your lucky day. I'm selling paintings just like those for a mere $1000 each. You could buy one for behind the couch, and one for behind the headboard, and still have $8000 left over to buy noodles and dog toys.

I liked this one -

http://www.odditycentral.com/videos/...u-to-puke.html

As much fun to make as it is to look at.
                            That reminds me...I could never get my awful paint drawing to attach in PM...

so...here's some bad art
                            Attached Files
                            sigpic

Comment

Oh, very good! I can work with that...

Comment

Working...
                              X