Fun with Japanese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fun with Japanese

Right, so we have the study thread, how about we have a second thread for having a bit of fun with Japanese? My idea is to play simple language games. I'll get us started, but anyone can jump in and suggest something. We can do harder things to challenge ourselves from time to time, but lets revert back to easier games, so that everyone can join in. We can offer feedback to one another of course, but the main emphasis should be on gaining confidence with the language and just enjoying ourselves.

So first game...

For the first game I have chosen something easy so everyone can take part. This game is popular in Japan but I don't know the name. Please enlighten me if you happen to know it. Basically, we will pick a topic, for example 'animals', and then post a word related to animals. The next person then has to write a word that begins with the last syllable of the previous word.

Example; First person posts 'Neko' (ne-ko)
    Next person will have to write an animal name or body part starting with 'ko' such as 'konchuu' (ko-n-chu-u)
    Then maybe 'usagi (u-sa-gi) and so on.

You get the idea?

The game ends when someone either can't think of a word that hasn't previously been used, or uses a word that ends with 'n', because no word begins with syllabic 'n'. I would suggest we deliberately end the game when it is getting too long, because online, we have too much time to think and look things up, which isn't usually an option.

When a game ends, the person who ended it chooses the next topic, or can suggest a new game.

So for the first subject, I suggest erm... 'food and drink'

First word;

kudamono

EDIT: I forgot to give the translations. Very sorry.

Neko = Cat
    Konchuu = insect
    Usagi = Rabbit
    Kudamono = yummy, yummy fruit (erm, okay, I admit the 'yummy' was my addition).
    Last edited by Jembru; 13 Jan 2012, 09:34.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Re: Fun with Japanese

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
    Right, so we have the study thread, how about we have a second thread for having a bit of fun with Japanese? My idea is to play simple language games. I'll get us started, but anyone can jump in and suggest something. We can do harder things to challenge ourselves from time to time, but lets revert back to easier games, so that everyone can join in. We can offer feedback to one another of course, but the main emphasis should be on gaining confidence with the language and just enjoying ourselves.

So first game...

For the first game I have chosen something easy so everyone can take part. This game is popular in Japan but I don't know the name. Please enlighten me if you happen to know it. Basically, we will pick a topic, for example 'animals', and then post a word related to animals. The next person then has to write a word that begins with the last syllable of the previous word.

Example; First person posts 'Neko' (ne-ko)
    Next person will have to write an animal name or body part starting with 'ko' such as 'konchuu' (ko-n-chu-u)
    Then maybe 'usagi (u-sa-gi) and so on.

You get the idea?

The game ends when someone either can't think of a word that hasn't previously been used, or uses a word that ends with 'n', because no word begins with syllabic 'n'. I would suggest we deliberately end the game when it is getting too long, because online, we have too much time to think and look things up, which isn't usually an option.

When a game ends, the person who ended it chooses the next topic, or can suggest a new game.

So for the first subject, I suggest erm... 'food and drink'

First word;

kudamono
    Ooh, this sounds cool! Hmm... nomimasu (verb for "I drink".) Does that count??

Comment

Originally posted by turningtides View Post
      Ooh, this sounds cool! Hmm... nomimasu (verb for "I drink".) Does that count??
      Totally! I was meant to say that any related vocab goes. So we can have tastes, cooking methods, utensils etc. The only thing I'd suggest is that a verb can be used in any conjugated form, but can't be used again in another form. So for example, no one could use 'nonda' because you've already used 'nomu' in the masu form. Well, thanks for a good easy one..

SUSHI!! ^^
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

It's called 尻取り, shiritori, literally "take the tail (or backside)".
        この言葉が読めれば、グーグルを見つけておめでとう御座います。

Now go read a book or something...

Comment

Originally posted by Zazaru View Post
          It's called 尻取り, shiritori, literally "take the tail (or backside)".
          Thanks for that! I'm lazy when it comes to googling things and it would take a while to find it. Pretty memorable name too. Gotta love how 'to the point' the Japanese language is. Won't you join in though? Shiritori starts with the right syllable, but is sadly inedible.

If not, well, I'll rewrite it for the benefit of those who do want to play.

My word was sushi, 'su-shi' So we're looking for a food or drink word starting with 'shi'.

Comment

Shiso -- It's a sort of herb used for cooking (internet says it's "Perilla leaf")
            Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
              Shiso -- It's a sort of herb used for cooking (internet says it's "Perilla leaf")
              Bloody well done Habbalah! I thought 'shi' was a hard one. Unfortunately, the only thing I can think of for 'so' is 'soba'. Ba could be another tricky one. Sorry!

Comment

バーベーキュー
                baabeekyuu

Comment

急速 => kyuusoku => rapid
                  It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
                  -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

Kyuuri = Cucumber!

(ETA: Ack, I totally blanked out on the fact that kijani answered for Kyuu! Sorry!)
                    Last edited by habbalah; 13 Jan 2012, 18:23.
                    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Aaah, I wasn't sure if the elongated sound at the end counted as a 'u' or not. So not then?

I'm going to follow from kyuuri, just because it was above.

so erm.. trying to think of an ending we haven't had.

Ringo -apple

(btw, I'll start writing the Japanese as soon as I have Japanese input on my netbook. Used to have it on my laptop but I can't remember how I did it!)

Comment

胡麻 goma

sesame

Comment

Mamehen

Okay, that's kinda cheating. It is the 'bean' radical on the left of a kanji. Kind of a food, but really, I just wanted something to end in 'n' so I could end and thus change the game.

After speaking to Habbalah, I thought it were time I woke this thread up and got us practicing. I have thought of a very simple game that should allow everyone to join in. All you have to do is answer the question above (ie. That the last person posted), then ask a new one for the next person to answer. Lets not worry too much about mistakes (unless people request feedback), and just have fun. Lets also at least to start with, keep it simple. So first question (script is optional but please include romaji for those of us who don't know many kanji).

Erm... Ah got one..

きのう,何をしましたか。*
                          Kinou nani wo shimashita ka?

*I'm only going to use kanji I actually know. I know I could let autotype suggest the kanji and check the meaning, but I feel that would just give an exaggerated impression of my ability level and that never ends well for me. So yeah, I could have written 昨日, but honestly, I haven't learnt '昨' yet. Hope that doesn't irritate anyone. Wait.. now I DO know it? Should I rewrite? ^^
                          Last edited by Jembru; 26 Apr 2012, 13:59.

Comment

As my first post on this forum, I guess I'll resurrect this thread.

私は昨日仕事をしました。
                            Watashi wa kinou shigoto wo shimashita.

どのぐらい日本語を勉強していますか?
                            Dono gurai nihongo wo benkyou shite imasu ka?

Comment

How on chikyuu did I miss this? I'm so pleased to finally get a little practise. Please forgive my enthusiasm. I've just been waiting ages for an excuse to practise written Japanese (I'm new to writing it) so I'm very excited.

自己紹介お願いします!
                              Jikoshoukai onegaishimasu!

Short answer:

十二年ぐらいです。
                              Juuninen gurai desu.

Long answer:

十二年前に始めて勉強をしたけどずっと学んでいないんです。 高校の時自分で勉強を始めました。でも, 大学に入ってから日本語の勉強ひまがなくて辞めました。

大学をそつぎょうしてから日本に引っ越しました。 日本には仕事で忙しいのであまり勉強しませんでした。 英国に帰ってから日本人の女に習って日本語をつづけたんです。

しかし2年後にドイツに引っ越す予定なのでもう一度日本語を辞めてドイツ語の勉強を始めました 。

今年の新年誓いは日本語がペラペラ上手になる事でいっしょうけんめい勉強していますよ!

Juuni nen mae ni hajimete benkyou wo shita kedo zutto manande inai'n desu. Koukou no toki, jibun de benkyou wo hajimemashita. Demo, daigaku ni haittekara nihongo no benkyou hima ga nakute yamemashita.

Daigaku wo sotsugyou shite kara nihon ni hikkoshimashita. Nihon ni wa shigoto de isogashii no de amari benkyou shimasen deshita. Eigoku ni kaette kara, nihonjin no onna ni narate nihongo wo tsuzuketa'n desu.

Shikashi, ninengoni doitsu ni hikkosu yotei na no de, mouichido nihongo wo yamete doitsugo no benkyou wo hajimemashita.

Kotoshi no shinnen chikai wa nihongo ga perapera jouzu ni naru koto de, isshoukenmei benkyou shite imasu!

引っ越す hikkosu: to move (house)
                              新年誓い shinnen chikai: New Year's resolution (there's another word for this but my brain refuses to recall it and I refuse to use a dictionary other than for checking I'm using the right kanji).

EDIT: looks like you're not planning to return to PF. Pitty, I'd have enjoyed someone else to practise with/learn from. If you do come back, please introduce yourself so we can get to know you and welcome you to the community. Or maybe you were just one of my friends trying to cheer me up because I was really depressed about my lack of Japanese ability the day you posted (suspicious much!).

日本に行った事がありますか。
                              Nihon ni itta koto ga arimasu ka?
                              Last edited by Jembru; 22 Jun 2012, 09:49. Reason: Found a mistake.

Comment

Working...
                              X