Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all Celtic witches, Druids, Recons or generally well-informed individuals.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all Celtic witches, Druids, Recons or generally well-informed individuals.

I should have posted this sooner. There isn't really much here on Celtic paths, but I am really struggling to research these things for myself. My local library is closed, which isn't helping, and the internet is so hit and miss.

Basically, I just want to know if there is anyone here who could maybe advise me and help answer questions about Brythonic deities, religion, magic. In fact, even knowledge of Celtic beliefs from elsewhere would help.

I am not looking to recreate a Celtic path. I just want more inspiration that just what I glean from contacting these deities directly.

This is a very vague post, I realise that, but I'll get more precise once there are people willing to share their wisdom.

Oh my Patrons are Brigantia and Bregans, if you wish to share you own understanding of these first? Good luck with Bregans though!!

Thanks in advance
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Re: Calling all Celtic witches, Druids, Recons or generally well-informed individuals

I'm noticing that there isn't much. Wish I could be of more help, but being one newly walking a Celtic path, I'd be interested in what those more knowledgeable would have to say. I'm certainly willing to share what I've come up with and share the sources, but I hesitate to speak authoritatively, or even particularly confidently at this point.

I am also in a similar position; the local library is closed for refurbishment, though I do have access to other county public libraries.

Comment

Re: Calling all Celtic witches, Druids, Recons or generally well-informed individuals

The biggest problems with 'Celtic' paths is defining them. So I would suggest - before I post anything else - that we get to grips with what is Celtic.

The Celts occupied a massive area in Europe over a long period of time. From northern Greece across the Gaul, up into Britain etc you would have Celts at some period. So you could find many different influences on Celtic beliefs and practices. Jembru - I notice you mention Brythonic deities and I might be able to find some info on them, but would you just clarify exactly what it is you're seeking? Then I'll do my best to help.
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

You're going to run into a lot of problems. Most of the Celts didn't exactly write things down, so not a lot exists in their own words. The writings that are around were penned by Romans who had a horrible tendency to embellish, exaggerate, undersell, ignore, and frankly make things up. I'll help where I can, and I'll poke around a bit for some information on Brigantia and Bregans when I get time.
        "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." - Khalil Gibran

Comment

You might have more luck finding inspiration if you look at archeological info, rather then historic. Whatever the case, good luck!
          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

If you're interested in Brythonic deities and mythology, look into early Mediaeval British literature and myth. Despite the obvious lens of Mediaeval Christianity over it, there is a clear strand of Celtic mythology, gods, and legend throughout. Arthurian legend, the Welsh myths, and other things like that. It's a good start that, with proper reading in the history and folklore of the region, can help develop a clearer understanding of the Insular Celts. And in the process, an insight into their culture, their religion, their mythology, and their gods.

Comment

Hi Jembru.

Even though my focus is more Gaelic than Brythonic, there is some stuff I can suggest. As Louisvillian said, looking at Arthurian Legends is a good idea, specifically 'Le Morte D'Arthur' by Sir Thomas Malory as this is the, if you like, 'classic' version of the stories and does have quite a few Pagan elements from Welsh mythology, albeit as presented with Christian angle.
              Also, 'The Mabinogian' is the absolute cornerstone of Welsh medieval myth and, from my experience of Neo-Druidism, many of the figures in there are regarded as Gods. On top of this, many books of Celtic Mythology will feature myths and folktales from Wales, Cornwall and Brittany which may also help get a feel for Brythonic beliefs in general.
              If your focusing in Romano-British deities however, this is a bit harder. As previously stated, there is little information on them beyond archaeological evidence and the works of Greeks and Romans such as Caeser, most of which focus on Druids rather than beliefs. I can suggest 'Old Gods, New Druids' by Robin Herne which does refer to Romano-British Gods alongside more pan-Celtic deities.
              As a closing point, you may like to go to the forums of websites of groups which are specifically Celtic in their focus and ask there. For example, the forums of the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids are good and I don't think you have to actually be a member of the OBOD to register.
              Anyway, hope some of this is useful. Best of luck!

Blessed Be

Comment

This is my only reply? What? Maybe I forgot, but I've a sneaky suspicion this is my phone up to it's tricks again. It's my word against it's though and I don't remember, so going to have to give it the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Anyway, thanks so far for the advice. I've noticed that Brythonic and Gaulic are sometimes coupled together. I looked a little closer and this is because there is a clea prgression from Gaul - to mainland England - to Brittany. I've been so far making up for the lack of info on the religions of Celtic England, by reading about Welsh, Irish and particularly, due to my ancestory (I'm a 'Bruce') and location, Scotland, to look for common themes that can be reasonably assumed to exist here too.

My question is, would focusing on the Gaulish Celts, offer a faith closer to that of the Brythons? If so, will I hit the same brick walls? Or is more information available?

I'm currently considering Brigid to be the same deity, but something nigggles at me now and then saying, 'but how can you be sure?'.
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Jem, one of the things I havepicked up is that alot of the Gaulic scources are writings of caesar, or are put down many many years after the conversion of the Gallic peoples. So as far as information goes you're likely to have similar problems, if something does'nt feel correct, then that's totally up to you. but I don't see you having better luck focusing on Gaulish deities. That said, alot of really similar ideas and archetypes permeate the whole of the celtic regions, so it never hurts to learn different perspectives from different places, who knows maybe something will ring a bell for you as being really too similar to ignore?

Being sure is also hard to do sometimes... go with your gut!
                  http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                  ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                    My question is, would focusing on the Gaulish Celts, offer a faith closer to that of the Brythons? If so, will I hit the same brick walls? Or is more information available?

I'm currently considering Brigid to be the same deity, but something nigggles at me now and then saying, 'but how can you be sure?'.
                    One thing that I have noticed with Irish deities with definite Welsh correspondences is that their' stories differ greatly. There is a Welsh and Irish Lu/Lugh, for example, but their stories are not what I would call consonant. I suspect that there were probably cases where a deity was absorbed or adopted by a tribal group and simply worked into the mythos with a back story to make his/her origins fit within the continuity of the existing gods. The Greeks and Romans did this all the time. It also is fairly evident that Lugh was an addition to the Irish Tuatha de Danan. His origin story indicates that he wanted to join and was admitted because of his skill in everything, not due to him being born into the Tuatha.

So I suspect that there will always be niggles, even if it is the same figure; look at the differences between Greek and Roman deities, where we know which ones correspond with which.

Comment

Thats valid another way of viewing things like similar names in similar languages is that they dont indicate the same thing but a similar ting. Welsh parricularly and a lot of irish lit. Is late. The bulk are contemporary with shakespeare. While they aren't likely to portray iron age culture directly the usage of the language in the names of the charactors might indicate similar cults existed at some point. In that view where it applies llew and lugh might not have the same stories but show a similar concept m might have been in use

For example lugh is popularly called / used to represent a sun god in neopaganism
                      If that concept of lugh existed in the past the same deity might not be there but the cultures may bith have had sun god cults.

It wouldn't apply universally though, welsh lit is later then irish lit and it heavily influenced by it so charactors can be transplanted and they wouldnt imply a common cult. Manannan for example is a late adition to irish lit and his welsh counter part is has no similarities and is probably just manannan transposed from irish to welsh.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats valid another way of viewing things like similar names in similar languages is that they dont indicate the same thing but a similar ting. Welsh parricularly and a lot of irish lit. Is late. The bulk are contemporary with shakespeare. While they aren't likely to portray iron age culture directly the usage of the language in the names of the charactors might indicate similar cults existed at some point. In that view where it applies llew and lugh might not have the same stories but show a similar concept m might have been in use

For example lugh is popularly called / used to represent a sun god in neopaganism
                      If that concept of lugh existed in the past the same deity might not be there but the cultures may bith have had sun god cults.

It wouldn't apply universally though, welsh lit is later then irish lit and it heavily influenced by it so charactors can be transplanted and they wouldnt imply a common cult. Manannan for example is a late adition to irish lit and his welsh counter part is has no similarities and is probably just manannan transposed from irish to welsh.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry about the double post, phone internets.
                      In the case of the imagined sun cults in ireland and wales the m names don't mean its the same cult but that similar concepts existed and so similar cults. Since we dont know the details of practices back then difference in practice doesn't matter. The key point of the theory is the cultures are different because of different social and geographical stresses shaping them so cognate deity names wouldn't mean a common belief. A welsh llew may be different to an irish lugh tho they may have occupied a similar spot in tje peles worldviews. Our sun gods would both be sun gods but their names sre discriptive instead of a personal name

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry about the double post, phone internets.
                      In the case of the imagined sun cults in ireland and wales the m names don't mean its the same cult but that similar concepts existed and so similar cults. Since we dont know the details of practices back then difference in practice doesn't matter. The key point of the theory is the cultures are different because of different social and geographical stresses shaping them so cognate deity names wouldn't mean a common belief. A welsh llew may be different to an irish lugh tho they may have occupied a similar spot in tje peles worldviews. Our sun gods would both be sun gods but their names sre discriptive instead of a personal name

Comment

Comment

Off topic, but when and why did James get banned? What did I miss?

Mostly art.

Comment

Something that occurred between him, myself and other staff members which warranted the action beyond the shadow of a doubt. That's all I'm willing to say about the matter.
                            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                            Sneak Attack
                            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I cannot help you, but this is somewhat fascinating and I hope you will keep it updated with what you discover. I have not done any particular research regarding Celtic traditions, but I have attempted to understand the lineages of some others and it can be quite confusing and complicated, with cultural permeability and deities being consolidated or divided. I suppose it also depends on the motivation of the researcher, whether to more fully understand meaning and significance in a tradition or whether a true reconstruction is being attempted. Anyway, I can see why you would be intrigued (and therefore probably a little frustrated) by it.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Working...
                              X