X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jesus- the lord in heaven

Hello,

I'm a former agnostic who now accepts Jesus. He helped me believe by sending an angel to speak to me. For those confused, I think it's very helpful to pray to him. (even if you unsure about him) It doesn't hurt to try it often. He does give people faith. People can pray to him to open their hearts to the word and to give them faith. It's important to accept Christ because his sacrifice atones for all sin (evil) a person does if you believe. He mentioned everlasting life in the New Testament. Jesus is the way to salvation. After praying for him to open their hearts to the word regularly, it's helpful to read the New Testament of the Bible. It seems different to read and true when your heart is open to it. The Father, Son(Jesus), and Holy Ghost are true! Christ died for our sins, was resurrected, and is lord in heaven now. The bible is full of history. =) The New Testament shows fulfilled prophecies of the Old Testament (including the birth of Jesus) and they were written years apart. For those willing to accept his sacrifice, it's important to pray to him and tell him that you accept it. Then it's good to get baptized and to keep praying. Seek the truth!

John 14: 6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

John 6:35 Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.

John 1:10-12 "He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.He came unto his own, and his own received him not. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name."

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Would anyone like to share their views on Jesus, the Bible, heaven, etc?
    Last edited by Guest; 15 Jan 2012, 19:34.

Re: Jesus- the lord in heaven

So is there something you wanted to discuss or... ?
    There once was a man who said though,
    It seems that I know that I know,
    What I'd like to see,
    Is the I that knows me,
    When I know that I know that I know.

Comment

This should probably be either an intro or listed in Abrahamic traditions. Past that, welcome to the forum.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Welcome to the forum, first of all. It almost sounds as if you're suggesting Pascal's Wager, though...
        my etsy store
        My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
        surrounded by plush, downy things,
        ill prepared, but willing,
        to descend."

Comment

Last time I tried that, Jesus just sorta said "okay."

Last time I tried that with Bugs Bunny, he said "eh? What's up doc?" and that was the end of it.

Last time I tried that with Satan, I found pride in who I am - a wonderful, loving thing.

Then I tried that with Ganesha, he opened a few doors - not just "sending me faith," but life actually got easier for a time.

Then I tried it with Thanatos, and the nature of the world around us showed itself to me for a time.

Faith? That's good. Faith without reason or cause? I question it's merit.
          "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
          http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
          "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
          http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
          "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
          http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Comment

Congrats on finding your own path, calmreflect.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

*scratches head* Here's what I don't get- most pagans have at least a basic understanding of Christianity and many were, in fact, brought up in the religion. So...why talk to people who most likely live in a Christian-centric culture like this is some new fangled religion that we've never heard of before? If you're trying to proselytize, this is a pretty insulting way of doing it, IMO.

I have no problems with Jesus the same way that I have no problems with Prophet Muhammad or the Buddha. Fine if he's a religious figure you'd like to follow, but he's not for me. Since I doubt you'd be interested in discussing my faith (presuming you know anything about it), this is about all of the time and energy I'm going to expend discussing yours.
              "Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful," and sitting in the shade." - Rudyard Kipling

Mathbatu: A Canaanite Polytheist's Blog
              Sparrow Wings: A Personal Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Calmreflect View Post
                Would anyone like to share their views on Jesus, the Bible, heaven, etc?
                My own views on Christianity are varied, mixed, and fluid.

I exhausted the orthodox churches in my own search, though there are parts of them that I cherish greatly. I'm now exploring Gnosticism, which may or may not be Christian in focus.

I view the Bible the same way that I do any other piece of mythology. I tend to cherry-pick verses that I think have a nice turn of phrase or strike my heart as meaningful.

As for Jesus, I actually try to NOT define him, as this has been the cause of strife and has caused schism in the Church before. I consider all statements about Christ theologoumena, as I do about theology in general. It's great stuff for robust debate but when you codify it and start punishing your people because they deviate ever so slightly from The Code, then you've completely missed the point. That's actually one of the things that cemented the fact that I'll never be a mainstream orthodox Christian: when you have a bunch of Church Fathers calling each other Haters of God over the Divine Mystery (that is, something humans can only guess about), then are they really that saintly? Are the councils really inspired by the Holy Spirit? I would have to assume not.

I stick Christ in my heart of hearts the same way that Severus Alexander did in Rome. He put his statue of Christ in his sanctuary along with his statues of Abraham, Orpheus, and Apollonius of Tyana.
                There once was a man who said though,
                It seems that I know that I know,
                What I'd like to see,
                Is the I that knows me,
                When I know that I know that I know.

Comment

Welcome. My view on Christianity? I tend to agree with Gandhi. "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ". It's also fascinating, from a historical standpoint.

Beyond that, I was raised Christian but walked away when I realized that I was never going to be comfortable in a faith that preaches unconditional love, but has conditions. If Christianity speaks to you, I'm glad you've found your path.
                  Last edited by habbalah; 15 Jan 2012, 21:22. Reason: Stupid bizarre double post!
                  Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Hello there,and welcome to our forum

As others have mentioned, it's generally good manners on an Internet forum to post an introduction before going elsewhere, letting the members get a better feel of who you are. You can do that here.

As others have *also* mentioned, the majority of the members of this board were raised in various Christian upbringings, as most pagan beliefs have only had attempts made to revive them over the past 40-50 years. I, personally, grew up in a very staunch home, my father being the equivalent of a youth pastor in other denominations. Not only do I know my scriptures backwards and forwards, i spent several years studying Hebrew so that I could read the old testament.

I celebrate the message of Christ,but find that it does not match up with either the practices of the god of the old testament, or the actions of actual Christians,particularly those of a loud politically conservative bent. In fact,most people and denominations pick and choose quite liberally what they chose to practice in his name.

I am grateful to be making peace with that, and have a firm faith that if I am truly in error,then both my actions and the desires of my heart would be understood by him entirely, as he would be able to see the entire circumstances surrounding them in a way no mortal could.
                    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I sort of see Jesus as the first hippie. He had a beard and long hair, wore sandals (at least, art history depicts him as so), and he talked a lot about peace and love. I respect the guy, and see him as a decent teacher, but I believe he was just a person.

I grew up fairly openly regarding religion. We did go to church for a bit and I was baptized when I was 10 (by choice), but I went my separate way after I decided it wasn't really for me. I was more or less a pagan since I was a little kid (though I didn't have a name for my beliefs at the time) so my choice in religion isn't a backlash (as I think most aren't either), it's just how I feel

Comment

Thank you for coming here to tell us this, Calmreflect. There is a lot in Christianity which I find to be both beautiful and profound. I find the same to be true of most religions I've looked at. The problem with Christianity (IMHO) is that it promotes only itself, and rejects everything else.

That's just a bit too tight for my personal comfort.
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

You're absolutely right, there is a lot of history in the bible... the bible took a lot from other religions that are much older than it, didnt it.
                          "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

If you're going to start that discussion, Dufonce then toss up examples. Otherwise you're just baiting the newbie.
                            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Jesus dies so that sin is cleansed and so that good can happen. He is the son of God and also of the Virgin Mary; He is also God. Jesus was reborn. Christianity is just another worship for the Mother and Father. The Great Mother Goddess gives birth to the Father God. The God sacrifices himself so that the world can be renewed then is reborn from the eternal Mother. Jesus preached everlasting love and forgiveness. The Mother is a symbol of eternal love and compassion. The Mother and Father have had dozens of names sometimes with the the son of the Mother being portrayed as a different deity or as an incarnation of the Father. Not all that different eh?

I don't think your bible is the word of God or ever was. If a deity wrote the bible it was not Jesus. I doubt Jesus would've done very much from the old Testament. I can't believe in your Christianity but your Christ I simply call by a different name.
                              Circe

Comment

Working...
                              X