X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Regarding Runes

We still have those curses today! It's called "Taco Bell."

And yeah, I'll bow to your experience on the Anglo-Saxon thing. I knew that they showed up in the ~Coastal Germany~Holland~Belgium area, but I wasn't sure, so I looked it up and Wikipedia told me that they used it in Old English as well, and heavily implied that that was the main area of usage. I know I've seen Runic figures in some very old manuscripts, but Anglo-Saxons aren't my area of expertise, so what can you do.
    "Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Let a man never stir on his road a step
    without his weapons of war;
    for unsure is the knowing when the need shall arise
    of a spear on the way without.
    -

Comment

As you so rightly point out, Thjoth, the Runes cover a wide range of times and places. They are very confusing, almost impossible to date with any real degree of accuracy. What makes the Anglo-Saxon traditions so difficult to work with is the sudden appearance of the Norse traditions with the viking invasions of the late eighth century onwards. In fact these were continuing right up to the Norman invasion of 1066 - and of course the Normans got their name from ... the Norse or North Men.
      It's a real muddle, I'm the first to admit it. I have loads of questions but I'm not sure I'm going to get many answers!
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Wow...ancient fart jokes. Human beings never really change, do they? *Snort*
        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

If you want something much earlier try Aristophanes' plays from 5th century BCE Athens.... now he really was crude. Or Martial's epigrams from the 1st century CE. As you say, Dez, nothing really every changes!

Comment

I recall that the graffiti from Pompeii was well preserved due to how that city perished, and a lot of it is hilarious. Here's my personal favorite:

Floronius, privileged soldier of the 7th legion, was here. The women did not know of his presence. Only six women came to know, too few for such a stallion.

When I read that I almost died laughing.
            "Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others."
            -Thomas Jefferson

-

Comment

Originally posted by Thjoth View Post

Floronius, privileged soldier of the 7th legion, was here. The women did not know of his presence. Only six women came to know, too few for such a stallion.

When I read that I almost died laughing.
              Hilarious!

It reminds me of the "Bigus Dickus" scene from The Life of Brian...
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

If you enjoyed that I would strongly recommend Martial's epigrams, especially Book 3. A lot of them are online....

Comment

I know a few bits from Martial, but it seems like somebodies been hiding the good stuff on me...
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Lmao oh my god I love it, fart runes best trial ever though I don't think being burned at the stake is the proper verict for such a 'heinous crime. I literally just looked up what an air biscuit was and the example after the definition was hilarious, -"Fucking hell I could pluck that air biscuit outta the air and dip it in my tea!!" lol I nearly died and I can't wait to actually say that.

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

I have to say I've used both runes and tarot before and I personally like Tarot better than runes because of all the pretty pictures and the many ways a person can interpret them. HOWEVER! Runes have always worked better for me for some reason than Tarot ever did maybe it's because fewer stones so less to interpret? I don't know it's a little wierd but I really like the idea of witch runes at first I was thinking gimmick but after reading other post on it, it doesn't sound like a bad way to go personally. I mean if you're going to learn some kind of fortune telling why not do one that you know is going to work for you because you made it! But I think Witches Glyph would be the better term because glyph goes more toward the symbolism than language although witches runes does sound neater.
                    But the invention of Witches Runes kinda goes along with the New Age am I right? There's so much in New Age like books that tell you to find your own deities or make some up, to Wiccan's who pull things from Celtic and Eygptian and bundle them together in their own little religion. So much of New Age is the culmination off these different things into a giant melting pot that really anything kinda goes that only real common factor I tend to notice is that most of it is earth or nature based or that could just be Wicca. Not that there's anything wrong with any of that personally I love if I didn't I wouldn't be here on PaganForums. In fact I'm now seriously considering making my own 'Witches Runes.'

Laketear
                    A witch is a woman who knows what she wants and is not afraid to work to achieve it. She has strong beliefs and the power to go through with her wishes. She has the power to turn thought into action. She's a strong, hardworking and intelligent woman.
                    Call me a witch and I will thank you for the compliment.

Comment

I just tripped over this book on accident in my university library. It wasn't what I was looking for, as it is primarily concerned with anglo saxon runes found in the British Isles, but it may be worth a read.

Of outstanding value to both runologist and Anglo-Saxonist alike. EARLY MEDIEVAL EUROPE Discussion of the forms of the runic alphabet and interpretations of individual inscriptions, with consideration of wider matters on which runes throw light - magic, paganism and literacy. How, where and why runes were used is still often mysterious; they continue to set puzzles for those who study them, among whom few are better known than the author of this book. Here he investigates evidence from Anglo-Saxon runic coins to Manx inscribed stones, including many of the known Anglo-Saxon runic inscriptions (notably the Ruthwell cross and the Franks casket) and manuscripts, and looks in passing at some Scandinavian material, both in Great Britain and elsewhere. In addition to these detailed descriptions of inscriptions, and of the runic futhorc, or alphabet, on which they are based, Page also considers wider issues on which runes throw light: magic, paganism and literacy. Archaeologists, historians and others will find this a uniquely useful and authoritative volume on Anglo-Saxon runes. The late R.I. PAGE was a Fellow of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, and Emeritus Professor ofAnglo-Saxon, Cambridge University.

I searched Opuscula Runologica thinking it was a book title, but it was just the editor being fancy while referring to this scholar's body of work. The actual title is Runes and Runic Inscriptions: Collected Essays on Anglo-Saxon and Viking Runes by R. I. Page.
                      -Thomas Jefferson

-

Comment

Originally posted by Thjoth View Post
                        I just tripped over this book on accident in my university library. It wasn't what I was looking for, as it is primarily concerned with anglo saxon runes found in the British Isles, but it may be worth a read.

Of outstanding value to both runologist and Anglo-Saxonist alike. EARLY MEDIEVAL EUROPE Discussion of the forms of the runic alphabet and interpretations of individual inscriptions, with consideration of wider matters on which runes throw light - magic, paganism and literacy. How, where and why runes were used is still often mysterious; they continue to set puzzles for those who study them, among whom few are better known than the author of this book. Here he investigates evidence from Anglo-Saxon runic coins to Manx inscribed stones, including many of the known Anglo-Saxon runic inscriptions (notably the Ruthwell cross and the Franks casket) and manuscripts, and looks in passing at some Scandinavian material, both in Great Britain and elsewhere. In addition to these detailed descriptions of inscriptions, and of the runic futhorc, or alphabet, on which they are based, Page also considers wider issues on which runes throw light: magic, paganism and literacy. Archaeologists, historians and others will find this a uniquely useful and authoritative volume on Anglo-Saxon runes. The late R.I. PAGE was a Fellow of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, and Emeritus Professor ofAnglo-Saxon, Cambridge University.

I searched Opuscula Runologica thinking it was a book title, but it was just the editor being fancy while referring to this scholar's body of work. The actual title is Runes and Runic Inscriptions: Collected Essays on Anglo-Saxon and Viking Runes by R. I. Page.
                        It's quite a nice book... I've always enjoyed Page's work. If you go to Google Books and search for Mindy Macleod and Bernard Mees you will find the other one on runic amulets... very interesting!

Comment

Working...
                        X