Weird entity in a dream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird entity in a dream

I've dreamed of this twice now, really far apart, and I want to know if it has a name because it scare the bejeezes out of me.

It has a head like a dog, wolf or jackal (but is not Anubis, I'm positive) and drains me of my energy in the dream. In both dreams, I was asleep and it came through my window and basically sucked the life out of me. Scary dreams! Both times I've woken up feeling drained, but that's probably not connected as I'm a terrible sleeper and never really feel all that rested anyway.

Re: Weird entity in a dream

It wasn't a form of sleep paralysis, DanieMarie, was it?

If you are nervous or tense, over tired, and prone to it, you're likely to have an attack (I know because I get them ).
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I don't think so? I didn't feel like I was 'awake' and one of the times I was outside my body looking in at it.

Comment

Wow...I'd say write them both down (at least, what you remember of the first time).

Take a good look at the similarities and differences, and do some work on figuring out your personal set of dream symbolism--the way I like to do that is by taking a particular thing or concept from the dream and writing it in the middle of a page. I can then draw bubbles out from there, linking them up and free-associating. A more lineal person might prefer a list.

Sometimes, though, that can help you start to think about the bigger picture, what might be tied to ideas like sleeping, the color black, dogs, a creature with an animal head, etc, etc, and start to figure out what is behind the symbolism your brain decided to use.
        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Sounds like a plan.

One dream I was in my bed and it came through the window, and it wasn't sleep paralysis then because it was way too long. I HAVE had sleep paralysis before and I snap out of it super fast, and if I don't it's a 'chain of dreams' (it happens frequently and so I know the process) where I wake up and my body feels super heavy and can't move, then 'wake up' again and can move a bit, then 'wake up' again and drag myself across the floor, then 'wake up' and can't move, then finally wake up. I'm also pretty good at getting out of sleep paralysis now. I tend to lucid dream a lot and I think it helps..I just realize that something's not adding up and then fix it, sort of like when I lucid dream (which isn't always but it's enough that I'm familiar with the process) and I don't like where it's going but somehow lose control, I just wake up.

the other one I was outside my body and watching it, then later in the dream I was awake and I came across a book with the figure in it. But I can't remember much about the book except that it was clearly a 'dream' book because it was partly a really old book and partly an ebook...it was an old book that had digital pages...so, nothing real lol.

Comment

I thought of the sleep paralysis because when it happens to me, it generally comes in the incubus/succubus form where I feel that I am being held down, and I hallucinate some horrendous entity holding me down (once it was a foot long fly crawling across my face & chest). It seemed similar to your visitor.

Dez' suggestion looks very solid. Since you saw a dream book in the dream, you might also want to try drawing the entity. I'm not sure what that might do, but it looks like the dream was suggesting it. If it were me, I'd try it just to see what happens.
            Last edited by B. de Corbin; 20 Jan 2012, 11:49. Reason: Funky Internet connection
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Yeah I heard it happens to some people that way, but I wake up very quickly normally and my sleep paralysis tends to be in the form of an inability to wake up, but I keep trying. One time I couldn't move for a few seconds after I woke up and felt like there was something in the next room, but I never feel anything is -in- the room (except what's actually there, like the cat).

I don't know if this plays a role, but I also apparently sleep with one of my eyes open (not all the way but open enough to see) and I'll sometimes react to things around me, even though I'm not awake. It could be that maybe my cat is in my face at that point and I'm sort of seeing him, but not?

I was just curious if the figure itself was something out of mythology. Sometimes if I know what something is in a dream and how to deal with it, I can make it go away if I don't like it.

Comment

Could you describe the wolf/ jackal/ dog-like creature? If you think it may stem from mythology a more detailed description may help.
                my etsy store
                My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                surrounded by plush, downy things,
                ill prepared, but willing,
                to descend."

Comment

It just had the body of a person, but the head of a wolf, dog, or jackal (something in the canine family at any rate)...but it wasn't really Egyptian and the characteristics of its behaviour don't seem much like anything out of Egyptian mythology.

Comment

Apart from a furry of sorts my mind did go to Set, but not for the reason you think. Set was represented by what was considered a composite of many animals. Is it possible that it could be a composite of various dog-like animals?
                    my etsy store
                    My blog

to descend."

Comment

Possibly? It's hard to tell in a dream sometimes...

The thing I found most odd about it was the behaviour of it as well. The behaviour was a key aspect of it.

Also, it was silent. No talking, no interaction, just life-sucking.

Comment

Werewolf? Shape shifter of some sort?

Comment

what about color of fur / eyes?
                          "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

I don't remember, sorry

Comment

Well, while looking up another god I found this. Don't know if it's helpful, but it may be a place to start.
                              my etsy store
                              My blog

to descend."

Comment

Working...
                              X