Proper materials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper materials?

Hi, I want to start making runes out of clay, but all I have is polymer clay and this self-drying clay. Do you think those would be effective? I don't want to make runes that won't work because they're made out of unnatural materials.

Re: Proper materials?

I've never had a problem using them for divination.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

I have a personal aesthetic preference for matural materials, but it probably doesn't really matter what you use to make them - our ancient ancestors used natural materials because that is what was available to them then. Would they have used polymer clay if they had had it?

Really, no way of knowing.

If you believe that the "power" comes from the things themselves, then it might matter what they are made off. If the "power" comes out of you, it may be that you only need something to focus your attention on.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I have my own rune set that I designed myself. They are made from a similar material that you're describing and they work just fine for me. I agree with Corbin that it really depends on what you believe. If you believe they should be of natural materials, then whether this is true are not, they're just not going to feel right and probably won't be affective.

Come to think of it, I am sure I said I'd take a photo of my runes in a different thread. I'd better get onto that...
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Cool. Thank you all very much for your help.

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

One more question: should I or should I not include a "blank" rune? Cuz I know it was introduced more recently.

Comment

My opinion on materials: Wood. Tree wights.

My opinion on the blank Rune: No historical basis. The Runes exist because they are supposed to "mean" something. Nothing means nothing. Include a blank Rune if you're afraid you might lose one. Other than that, no.

-Valhalla

Comment

I've owned runes made from wood and stone. Both worked as good as a friend's set which was made from polymer clay. To me it isn't about the what it is made from, but the energy you put into them. This also might be due to my belief that everything we have started out as a natural item. Polymer clay didn't just appear from thin air. It is made out of materials that were altered from natural materials. Everything around us can somehow be traced to a natural material in one way or another.

Comment

No preference on materials, here. It felt "off" for me to buy my own set, and I was recently gifted one made out of wood.

I want to second leaving out the blank rune, though, unless there's some reason it's personally meaningful for you. It was made up fairly recently.
                Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Working...
                X