Thread: Druidry

Jan 2012
    Religion
    Pagan

Druidry

Hi all

I have had an interest in Druidry for quite some time although have only recently begun to pursue this interest. I'm specifically interested in reconstructionist Druidry (rather than the countless denominations of Wiccanised Druidry that seem to be around) and was wondering whether anyone has any good links or suggested resources/books for this subject?

Also, any advice on how one might go about studying and following Druidry as a spiritual path would be muchly appreciated!

Feb 2011
    Religion
    Druid

Re: Druidry

This may be a good place to start? http://paganachd.com/

Jun 2007
    Religion
    Norse Something-or-Other
    Phrase
    Nice is not the same as good.

Like any reconstructionist path, you're probably going to find your best sources to be history, archeology, and anthropology texts, not something someone else has written. This goes double for Celtic beliefs, since the only things that were written were by the Romans, and thus heavily biased.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

I recently gave out a few links in another thread in this section, about Celtic information online. You might want to check them out. The IMBAS site in particular, http://www.imbas.org/imbas/index.html contains some interesting articles. It is not directly about druidry, but there is plenty there that can help to recreate your own Druid path. With reconstruction, you have to remember that there is VERY little genuine evidence and a lot of it comes down to what feels right. Later pagan religions might be easier to reconstruct with a degree of accuracy, but with the ancient Celtic religions, you just have to read, read, read and try to reconstruct something workable for yourself.

Good luck!

Feb 2011
    Religion
    Druid

Quote Originally Posted by Jembru View Post
    With reconstruction, you have to remember that there is VERY little genuine evidence and a lot of it comes down to what feels right.
    Kind of; as long as "what feels right" can be supported by some decent level of historical documentation. I've found that many reconstructionists tend to be very wary of "what feels right" and eschew UPG outright.

Jan 2012
    Religion
    Pagan

Thank you all for your replies!

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

Quote Originally Posted by Gobae View Post
    Kind of; as long as "what feels right" can be supported by some decent level of historical documentation. I've found that many reconstructionists tend to be very wary of "what feels right" and eschew UPG outright.
    I meant 'what feels logical', but I understand what you were getting at ^^

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

There is really very little about Druidry to be reconstructed...at least that would make it Druidry, rather than Celtic Recon.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible