Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luciferianism - would you consider it pagan?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luciferianism - would you consider it pagan?

I've recently been finding myself quite interested in Luciferianism, specifically Michael Ford's books on the subject.

I've noticed that his rituals/theology draws a lot from pre-Christian pagan beliefs and was wondering, could Luciferianism be considered pagan? Or could a Luciferian consider him/self a pagan?

The same question could apply for certain types of Satanism also.

For those of you who are unfamilar with Luciferianism, here are some helpful links:

Luciferian Witchcraft is a complete grimoire of Left Hand Path initiation. Many books have been written of the so-called left hand path, very few actually were written by initiates. Beginning with a lengthy exploration of the forms of the Adversary throughout history, a foundation of ideology is given by identification with the Adversary. The reader is then led through dark and twisting corridors with Four Chapters, a complete system of the History of the Adversary and the Witchcraft associated with the Left Hand Path. What is found within Luciferian Witchcraft is a Talismanic text which presents the medieval concepts of the Black Book being a conjuration itself of the Devil, a complete initiatory system detailing High Ceremonial Magick, The lore of the Adversary and ritualistic and forbidden sex magick. Approach with caution, you may open the gates of hell within...

Luciferianism, like Satanism itself, has a multitude of forms; primarily being of a Traditionalist slant, and Modernist slant.

Re: Luciferianism - would you consider it pagan?

While Luciferianism seems to have many possible definitions (like Paganism itself!), I do believe it fits. While it might stem from a Christian origin, the center of their belief doesn't exactly fall under the Abrahamic group. Some of my path takes (or borrows or steals) from Abrahamic lore (canonical and otherwise), but I still consider myself a Pagan.
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Yeah, as a LaVeyan Satanist, we pretty much consider Luciferians as Pagans simply because they believe in Satan as an actual Deity. Which then follows under Pagan parameters.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Thanks for your reply! I've been noticing a greater number of Luciferians and even Satanists defining themselves as pagan recently.

Luciferianism seems to draw strongly from pre-Christian concepts, such as the worship of ancient Egyptian deities (Michael Ford's books equate Shaitan with Set) and incorporating Babylonian mythology etc. So I would agree in saying that it doesn't quite fall under the Abrahamic umbrella.

Comment

I keep meaning to read Michael Ford and I never get around to it.

Is he the one that promotes Ahriman worship or is that a different person I'm thinking of?

As for the question, I suppose that depends. Are we talking about Lucifer the Roman light god or as Satan or as a combined Prometheus-like figure? Labels aren't so easy sometimes.
          There once was a man who said though,
          It seems that I know that I know,
          What I'd like to see,
          Is the I that knows me,
          When I know that I know that I know.

Comment

Originally posted by GabrielWithoutWings View Post
            I keep meaning to read Michael Ford and I never get around to it.

Is he the one that promotes Ahriman worship or is that a different person I'm thinking of?

As for the question, I suppose that depends. Are we talking about Lucifer the Roman light god or as Satan or as a combined Prometheus-like figure? Labels aren't so easy sometimes.
            Technically it wouldn't matter. Under the basic very broad view of Paganism, it's pretty much worshiping any sort of thing, deity,idea (ish) that isn't Jesus Christ the Lord and Savior! I mean at least according to Atheistic Satanists. Doesn't matter what view you have of Satan. If you worship it as a sentient being, you are a Theistic Satanist. Thus having a Theist view. Thus having it fall under Pagan. That's just my experience and don't quote my non existent authoritive book entitled 'I know everything and even wrote a book about it'

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
              Technically it wouldn't matter. Under the basic very broad view of Paganism, it's pretty much worshiping any sort of thing, deity,idea (ish) that isn't Jesus Christ the Lord and Savior! I mean at least according to Atheistic Satanists. Doesn't matter what view you have of Satan. If you worship it as a sentient being, you are a Theistic Satanist. Thus having a Theist view. Thus having it fall under Pagan. That's just my experience and don't quote my non existent authoritive book entitled 'I know everything and even wrote a book about it'
              I thought you LaVeyans were Suitheists? Wouldn't that make each of you his or her own Satan?

If so, does that make you Pagan? If you're worshiping yourself as Satan because you don't believe in Satan, does that make you a Pagan?

Oh, look... I've gone cross-eyed...
              There once was a man who said though,
              It seems that I know that I know,
              What I'd like to see,
              Is the I that knows me,
              When I know that I know that I know.

Comment

Technically, yes. It is not a part of the three Abrahamic and therefore -could- be deemed "pagan." Personal belief; call yourself whatever you wish, but before you go waving flags you'd better know what you stand for.
                "A situation with no return; I yield to the bright lights."- The Interbeing

Comment

Originally posted by GabrielWithoutWings View Post
                  I thought you LaVeyans were Suitheists? Wouldn't that make each of you his or her own Satan?

If so, does that make you Pagan? If you're worshiping yourself as Satan because you don't believe in Satan, does that make you a Pagan?

Oh, look... I've gone cross-eyed...
                  LaVeyans pretty much are Atheistic. While we like to use the phrase of 'making ourselves our own gods'. We are keenly aware that it's all in word only. Satan is a symbol for us. Even in our 'worship' of ourselves. We aint foolin anyone.

Comment

Working...
                  X