Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Coming out of the Broom Closet

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Left-handed Path; LHP

Re: Coming out of the Broom Closet

Hrm. I first started as Wiccan I guess you would say, with a few friends of mine and I didn't try to hide if from my mom. She never commented about it, but in the end it wasn't for me at all. It was a good way to bring my friends together, but I was an immature child back then sad to say, and I don't think our intentions were all that good.

My dads side of the family (parents are divorced) are catholic, but I hardly ever spent time over there, only summers, so nothing ever clashed. I would say I conceal my beliefs from them since they aren't catholic, at least at the moment because I'm dependent on them. It's something I learned being gay too, to just be quiet about stuff until you don't *need* them to survive. Sure, they may accept it, but they may not and what do you do if they do disown you, or kick you out. I'm waiting until I'm dependent on my own, then they can have the two blows. Though the religion blow isn't so much as what I believe, as what I DON'T believe from catholicism(spelling? I keep getting the red squiggles!)They are very pigheaded about things ._.

As an effect of the need to remain secret, I've developed my own way of doing things. I'm mentally incapable of using material symbolism now I think, the thought is just so alien and I don't understand it, and other stuff that I don't know how to explain; sort of like how we mentally set our limits based on the world around us, ya know? I do miss my old friends though; I can say it was enjoyable being religious *with* people.

My mom, dad and brother have never been Christians. I mean if they are asked what is their religion, they would probably say Christianity, however they have never believed in it. Neither have I. I was baptized, but never had it in me. I did try though, to accept it, to embrace it, went to church every Sunday and used to pray every day (nobody forced me, this was the moment I felt there has to be something out there, I think I was about 16 then), still it was only me saying some words, meaning nothing really. I haven't told my parents and brother I am a pagan, but this is I guess only because we don't discuss religion. We have never had this conversation.

My husband is not very religious either. He even refuses to go into a church, but I haven't asked him why, I don't think he would answer and besides he probably has some very personal reason not to. He knows I am not a Christian, just I haven't really told him I am a pagan. He has accepted I have interests different to his and I read a lot of occult books and everything, just we seem to have no need to discuss it. He has always accepted me for who I am which is something I have to remind myself more often Especially when I am angry at him.

Anyway, his mom is very very religious. She is a good Christian and she knows I don't go to church, I don't pray and stuff, but she has no idea I am a pagan. For her, pagan is equal to magician, witch and she doesn't approve such people. I guess like most of the Christians she is scared, she is afraid of hexes and curses and witch=curse in her mind. I don't think I should tell her what I believe in, she is a very good person, I don't want to trouble her with such things. We are in good relations, so why hassle?

I never actually went out of the closet, as i never were in it for real. Most of my friends know I am a pagan, still we seem to avoid the subject.
    When everybody is thinking the same, nobody is thinking enough!

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Pagan/totalist?

yeah stella my step-mom is like your mother in law. tho mine would disown me and prolly get the police involved on some way or another to get my child taken away from us.... i find that some pople jsut dont need to know... like they say Ignorance is bliss and (from our church) we had an entire sermen on "the devils symbols" which included the Penticle and the Goat head and whatnot. telling us that its evil and of the devil and all that shit so thats where some people get it cause some churches actually preach it and strengthen the steriotype that wicca/pagan's are evil...
    "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

[quote author=Rowanwood link=topic=49.msg364#msg364 date=1286653289]
    I know I've told my story previously. I'm one of the rare few that was never in any sort of closet. My family is pretty open.

However, I never went out and blurted out at a family gathering "I'm a WITCH" because I didn't feel it was necessary. I don't hide who I am and what I believe, but outside of a discussion about religion, I usually don't go blathering on about it either. I never have.

I think maybe I understand the desire to get it out there; to tell people, but I really never thought my spirituality was up for debate, so I saw no point in discussing it with people who might not be appreciative.
    [/quote]

Basically this.

I neither hide it, nor flaunt it. It just is, and it's always been that way. Over the years, friends and family have kinda figured it out.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Banned!
    Oct 2010

Where I am from, only the true Catholics and illiterate people laugh at us Pagans, like Jehovah witnesses (not meant talking against them, but that's what they do).

Sunday Heathen Catholics like my parents do not care, as long as I do not paint the whole room black and draw an inverted pentacle.

So they know I am Pagan, and they do not care about it.

[quote author=yukanaoe link=topic=49.msg1405#msg1405 date=1286853556]
    yeah stella my step-mom is like your mother in law. tho mine would disown me and prolly get the police involved on some way or another to get my child taken away from us.... i find that some pople jsut dont need to know... like they say Ignorance is bliss and (from our church) we had an entire sermen on "the devils symbols" which included the Penticle and the Goat head and whatnot. telling us that its evil and of the devil and all that shit so thats where some people get it cause some churches actually preach it and strengthen the steriotype that wicca/pagan's are evil...
    [/quote]
    I guess if my mother in law knew about my beliefs, she would be more worried about me, than anything else. She just wants everybody to be good and well, and she would probably give me some books and brochures to make me a good christian. Still, as I said, i wouldn't trouble her with my beliefs. I let her bring my child to the church, still she is not trying to make her believe anything and my kid enjoys the Sunday mass (mostly because the priest is quite a good singer )

Anyway, if you love somebody, you would try to make their life easier, therefore I wouldn't want to discuss anything that's going to break the peace.
    When everybody is thinking the same, nobody is thinking enough!

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Universalist?

I don't really know if I'm in a so called "Broom Closet". I've always been kind of "meh" about this sort of thing (hence my status on the left).

I've always found that people will find something to be offended about when they are in the mood. At that point, it really doesn't matter what it is. They will nit-pick no matter what. "Religion" is just an easy target for most because no two people have exactly the same outlook.

I don't really have any true advice on those who are looking to come out of the broom closet. I guess the only thing I can really say on the subject is...Be sure you know what you want to do and stick to your guns. Remember that no one can take away your beliefs. Ever. Not family. Not friends. Not anyone. If they try, then you don't want to be around them, anyway. It's your life. Live it the way you want.
    In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time. ~~ Edward P. Tryon

Oct 2010

Well, I don't know if I'm in any type of broom closet. Basically if someone asks, I tell that I'm not Christian and I'm more like a "nature-believer" or pagan. And 'coz I don't have any exact terms or paths to explain things easily, usually that's the end of the conversation. I have several pagan friends who of course know what I am, my other friends know something but probably don't understand and with my boyfriend I talk quite much about religions but usually not about for example crystals, runes and such (he thinks it's rubbish and nonsense. ). With tarot he's okay as I don't use them to divination but rather to understand myself and come up with new ideas and ways to understand things. Only with my family I don't talk about these things. I've always thought my mom's quite religious (Christian), but lately she's been showing growing interest to astrology and such so I'm not compeletely sure anymore. With dad or my brother we don't really discuss about anything "deep", so there's no time or place to "come out from the closet" anyway.

Lately I've been curious with the fact that my bf's family is deeply Christian (Born again christians or something like that). Quite fundamental, conservative etc. so I think we'll confront some interesting times sooner or later. Luckily my bf is something between atheist and agnostic with tendencies of believing in to some greater power which he just can't define. (And he even was interested in satanism, but moved away from that before we met.)

Lass

I've had mixed experience with this.

I was brought up a Catholic, but always found there were parts of the teaching I didn't agree with - for one I'm gay which is not allowed. However, before I fully realised that Wicca was the spiritual path for me, I went on pilgrimage to Lourdes with my college. I still go every year that I can, for the people and the truly spiritual experience I get out of it. I feel that I can never be truly open about my beliefs with some of the people I have met through my time in Lourdes - they feel very open-minded, but there is a limit and I suppose I'm not ready to deal with other people's prejudices.

I remember the day I told my mother that I was Wicca. She wanted me to come to Church with her and I had to "come clean" and say why I didn't want to go. She most definitely thought it was a "phase" and couldn't understand that I still wanted to go to Lourdes that year - but then again she's never been so she wouldn't know the social/spiritual side as well as the devout Catholic stuff that goes on.

I always wear a triple moon pendant and if anyone asks me what the symbol means I am completely open about it - most find it interesting when I tell them. I suppose the real test will be when someone I've met through Lourdes asks!

Coming out of the broom closet is a matter of judging the person/people you are speaking to - you have to be comfortable in yourself as well as with whatever reaction they may give. I suppose it's similar to coming out as gay; it's not something that needs to be done to every stranger, it's a case of telling people when the circumstances are right for you.

Apologisies for walltext, I got a little chatty as I was typing

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Theistic Luciferian
    Phrase
    Badaboom!

Mine was... quite easy. Me and my mom were having a conversation on religion, and I told her my beliefs and my religion (which was Wicca at the time) and what it was about... and she came home the next day with tons of books on Wicca and Paganism and gave them to me. She was completely cool with it; she grew up as a Christian (Pentecostal) so I was rather surprised at first. I never told my dad... however, I have got him to help me cut out a pentagram... so he might have an idea. Most of my friends know, or have an idea.

The only thing that annoys me today is that my mom still assumes I'm Wiccan.... which I'm not. :|