X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coming out of the Broom Closet

Originally posted by Roknrol View Post
    I could have SWORN that I answered this already.

The short version is this: The United States Government is bound by the United States Constitution, which states (as it's first rule) that your right to religion will not be infringed. The Military recognizes Wicca as a legitimate religion and generally is used to encompass most other Pagan religions (I think Norse faiths are considered to be their own as well, but considering the connections to White Supremacy (including in the military) I wouldn't suggest using that.

If they mistreat you because of your religion you can sue them for millions of dollars to start your own church and then you get to live tax free for the rest of your life. Not the worst thing that could happen to you.
    Yes, you HAVE answered it. Sorry, it's just a bit sensitive point of mine. Thanks again.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
      Yes, you HAVE answered it. Sorry, it's just a bit sensitive point of mine. Thanks again.
      Hehe...no problem, I thought I was losing my mind there is all

Comment

I have Israeli citizenship. But an Israeli citizen must go to army, no matter what his religion is. Actually, there is a special section there for Jewish-Orthodox soldiers.
        In order to skip army in Israel, one must be one of these:
        1. Be handicapped;
        2. Be married;
        3. Be at least... I think it's 35 or 40 years old;
        4. Die before 18.

We will see, I have one more year to think about this. Thank you.
        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Are you not in the US? My bad if that's the case...that was my assumption gone wrong...

Comment

As far as I remember, I'm not. It's ok. In some ways, the US and Israeli armies are a bit the same. I hope that what your suggestion will be true for the Israeli army as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Roknrol View Post
              Are you not in the US? My bad if that's the case...that was my assumption gone wrong...
              He lives in Israel.
              No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Doh - I'm really sorry...I know better than to assume that, especially here.

I have no idea how the Israeli military feels about it I've never had any experience in that regard.

I do know that throughout history people have hidden their religion due to fears of overreaction, and that after the fact those people were never thought ill of. I don't blame anyone for hiding what will get them killed when it's matters of opinion.

Comment

I just told everyone. Most have been pretty supportive. My daughter was a pain for a while but she has learned to deal with it after deciding to change her previous religious beliefs. Some things you just have to learn on your own.

Comment

I mostly hang out with the wife who is fully aware of my pagan interests. A pagan I used to work with knows I had an interest in these things but the rest of my family and friends have no clue. It's not important that the rest of my social network learn of my occult interests. It's unlikely they would want to know or understand what I do anyway. :-)

But it 'would' be fun to say, "I'm casting for you" on Facebook when everyone else is saying, "I'm praying for you..." but people would just think I was being a smart alec.

Comment

My two best friends and my girlfriend know, but the family is oblivious. They think I'm just really into incense ha ha. I don't think I'd tell my family. Not like they'd be angry or mean but they'd think it was stupid and pick at me all the time and I just don't wanna deal with that level of snark all the time about my beliefs. A dumb hobby, sure, but not my beliefs. My friends we're pretty cool about it, if a little confused about what it entails. At the end of the day its a little like coming out of the regular closet; tell the people you trust to stay or are prepared to lose.

Comment

The whole world knows for me, I've never had too many problems 'round here.
                        White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                        sigpic
                        In Days of yore,
                        From Britain's shore
                        Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                        And planted firm Britannia's flag
                        On Canada's fair domain.
                        Here may it wave,
                        Our boast, our pride
                        And joined in love together,
                        The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                        The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Well I've never really been in the broom closet , I simply practiced my religion and people found out in their own time , plus me being gay coming out of one closet was more then enough for me lol
                          Knowledge is the key to eternity. Not bowing before a deity not grovling at the feet of a messiah. Knowledge is power beyond mesure - satanic witch

Comment

Finally my father found out that I am pagan. And he definitely doesn't like the idea.... I don't care much about that. Partly because it's my own choice of religion.

Comment

Both my parents know, though my dad actually takes an interest in what I study, he has introduced me to a childhood friend who has helped me a lot. my mom doesn't know what I study, she tends to think anything that is not her idea (angels, for the record) is "dark", so I keep it to myself. I've been called dark a fair few times by her.
                              I told my boyfriend (fiance now) when I first took a real interest, we'd been together for about 6 months. He laughed a bit and went "yea, I already figured that out", that worked out pretty well
                              As for my friends, only a few of my closest friends know, they're ok with it. Religion isn't that big of a deal around here. I'm still careful who knows.
                              You remind me of the babe
                              What babe?
                              The babe with the power
                              What power?
                              The Power of voodoo
                              Who do?
                              You do!
                              Do what?
                              Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I never actually had to come out of the broom closet - I'm really lucky that my dad just doesn't care about those types of things. He's an atheist, so I was a little scared he was going to call me dumb or whatever, but when I asked him if I could buy a couple of books about Wicca (the religion I started with), he was just like, 'Yeah, whatever.'
                                I still get teased by my older sister who thinks I believe in the Harry Potter-type magick, but in all honesty it's not a big deal. I do get frustrated when she won't listen to my explanations, but she's cool with it and only brings it up when I do, so I just avoid the topic when she visits.
                                "Nearby is Valhalla, vast and gold-bright. And every day, Odin chooses slain men to join him. They arm themselves and fight in the courtyard. They kill one another; but every night they rise again, and ride back to the hall, and feast. The roof is made out of shields. The rafters are spears. Coats of mail litter the benches. A wolf stands at the Western door and an eagle hovers above it.
                                It has five hundred and forty doors, and when Ragnarok comes, eight hundred warriors will march out of each door, shoulder to shoulder." ~ Floki, Vikings

Pagan Blog: http://monolith-magick.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                                X