X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coming out about your religion

Originally posted by Lenore View Post
    I recently came out of the "broom closet" to my parents, after 6 years of practicing. They are Christians, and are pretty serious about their religious practices. Luckily, my mom had apparently been wondering for a while if something was going on and thus was not completely caught off guard. My sister was already aware, and she helped back me up in explaining that this wasn't simply a new phase-thing. Finally I was able to set up my altar in my room and be much more open about all of it.

Unfortunately, my exceptionally conservative Christian grandparents are visiting the week after Christmas, and I have not figured out how I'm going to handle that. I would like to not have to hide a part of myself (including my altar in my room), but I don't quite know how to explain to my 70-year-old grandparents that I simply don't follow their beliefs without it causing a family problem and alot of stress. Any advice?
    RiverSong gave some good advice. On top of that, make sure you know your facts. If things get difficult they might start throwing Bible verses at you, like my grandmother does. You just have to be calm and tell that that's not what you believe. What you believe isn't hurting anyone. When I came out to my mom all I had to do was bring up my core beliefs and convince her that I wasn't getting myself into anything cultish. You should leave your alter up and if they question it be honest. I wish you the best of luck with your grandparents

Comment

Thank you both so much, RiverSong and DeadJellyfish. Definitely some good advice in all of this.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadJellyfish View Post
        That's cool! A lot of atheists give off that vibe that religion and spirituality is ridiculous. But it's nice that your boyfriend is more sympathetic c:
        Yeah. I see a lot of posts here about Christians, but for me it's more the other end of the spectrum. Most people I know are atheist. All the religious people I know are pretty liberal about it, and while most of the atheists I know are pretty open-minded, I have been told off a few times for believing in something. One friend even gave me a Richard Dawkins book, which to me is equivalent to giving someone a bible when they say they don't believe in Jesus. I'm glad my bf was cool about it.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
          Yeah. I see a lot of posts here about Christians, but for me it's more the other end of the spectrum. Most people I know are atheist. All the religious people I know are pretty liberal about it, and while most of the atheists I know are pretty open-minded, I have been told off a few times for believing in something. One friend even gave me a Richard Dawkins book, which to me is equivalent to giving someone a bible when they say they don't believe in Jesus. I'm glad my bf was cool about it.
          Yeah, I've noticed that too. Some atheist can be just as intolerant as any Christian fanatic. And I say "fanatic" to separate the true ones from the creepy ones who go overboard in their faith. I happen to be friends with a few "liberal" Christians as well. And I would classify my relatives as liberal too, at least when it comes to religion anyways. Everything else... nah! ;^_^
          I was atheist for a year once, as I didn't believe in any deity or that one even existed, though I was a jerk about it and try to convince others the same thing too. And the other atheist that I still hang out with today aren't fanatics either. But I have run into a few who are before, so I know they are around. I've stop thinking that certain religions or non-religions are prone to being overbearing long ago. I've learned that it depends on the person or persons and their personal insecurities, it really don't have anything to do with dogma at all.
          My everyday wacky blog

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
            My coming out was funny because it didn't really happen. Everyone figured I became Pagan in high school (far from the case) and it's been fun explaining I'm not Wiccan nor is it a phase. I think they finally get it...

My family was fine with it until they learned rituals are involved. It seemed to make them pissy and I couldn't tell why. My father claimed one thing or another, but really he's one of those atheists who think everyone's out to convert him (no one in my family has ever tried) so he tries to prevent anyone from practicing (seriously, he tried to ban my mom and I from church). My mother's mixed because she has New Age tendencies anyway but she was raised Southern Baptist. The dissonance gets interesting. I won't forget when she lectured me about how bad magic was but proceeded to give me candles and instructed me on how to use them. She's a bit better about my rituals since I've combined it with arts and crafts.

There's other issues with her, but it's mostly she's clearly curious about what I believe and goes about asking in funny ways. Sometimes she asks directly, but mostly she peeks in. OK, she's stopped that since I moved my shrine where she could see and I didn't have my back to her, but there's a thread somewhere about that saga.
            Your mother sounds exactly like mine! It must be a Southern baptist thing. haha I see so many into spiritual and supernatural things in one mood but freak out at it the next. I think southerners are supernatural by nature, it was only a few decades ago we believed in only making soap by the moonlight and other random rituals. It's still very much there.

As for me coming out. I've never officially came out giving myself a label. But my beliefs have always been clear to those who ask, including my mom. She's pretty much only upset that I don't recognize Jesus as my savior. Everybody else is really cool with it. I always explain it in a chill and unagrressive way. "I don't pray, I send positive energy.", "It's not about believing in Jesus or not, it's taking lessons from everybody and being a good person.", etc. Once you say it that way, only the most biased can see issue with that.

Comment

Re: Coming out of the Broom Closet

it was pretty easy for me sincet my mum had to out of the broom closet to me, i just tell everyone what i am, i dont care what people think of it, it what believe and im proud of it, if someone doesnt like it,they aint worth my time in that matter

Comment

I'm on round two of coming out (round one- friends in college). My husband's always known I have pagan tendencies, but it's getting more and more annoying to hide it. I haven't minded because it's not like it's the central fact of my life, but it sucks not being able to be fully open about it with someone I love. For example, I have a bunch of tarot decks that I love the artwork on, and I'd love to display them but he's Catholic and superstitious and would rather not have them around. So I keep them, but I don't pull them out around him. Lately I've been reading more about Asatru and have had PF open and he'll ask about it, I try to be nonchalant about it and it seems to be alright. I just really don't want to start a holy war. He's not much of the evangelizing type but still it doesn't seem like anything we need to be arguing about.

Comment

I honestly don't know if I'll ever come out to them. I know that's sad, but I know they'll mistaken Wicca for "Satan Worshiping" and basically disown me. There's also the problem of not wanting to tell certain friends, because it might get back to my mom and grandma. The only friend who knows is my best friend who is also Wiccan, so at least I'm not alone in this.

Comment

I have never had a problem with letting people know my faith, I have never gone out my way to tell anyone, but I don't deny what I am either. There is not a lot left of my family, but what I do have don't seem to mind, and I really do not see them enough to worry about it if they did.
                    When life hands you lemons make lemonade and find someone else who life handed them vodka and have a party.

Comment

ok so my friends always knew, I never really hid it from people but never really announced it either... well with the whole Faux news thing that went on I decided to do a nice long facebook note stating what I believe in and all that jazz... basically coming out of the broom closet to even my family, right out there on the web.

Nothing happened.

Not one like.

Not one comment.

Not even a private message.

-.-
                      "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

I've told my mom but haven't told my stepfather yet. I live in a group home and I had to go to a circle meeting, and when I told them I wanted to join a coven after they asked me what I wanted to do out in the community, the staff there seemed shocked xD
                        What one believes in is infinitely more important than WHO they believe in.

Comment

Originally posted by Dufonce View Post
                          ok so my friends always knew, I never really hid it from people but never really announced it either... well with the whole Faux news thing that went on I decided to do a nice long facebook note stating what I believe in and all that jazz... basically coming out of the broom closet to even my family, right out there on the web.

Nothing happened.

Not one like.

Not one comment.

-.-
                          Honestly, my guess is that nobody cares. :\

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                            Honestly, my guess is that nobody cares. :\
                            honestly I think its cause I posted it at night before bed and most likely the way it posts notes nobody probably saw it... theres generally a minimum of a certain 3 people that like just about anything I post. lol.

yes, you are probably right though.
                            "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

Originally posted by Dufonce View Post

Nothing happened.

Not one like.

Not one comment.

-.-
                              I had the same experience. I just decide last year to post what I was doing for Yule. Twelve posts over twelve days. Not a single thing said. Know how many Christian posts I read by friend and family and I even comment on some. I was glad I didn't' get flak but I was kinda bummed too.

Comment

I straight out told my family. My father was mildly interested, my sister and brother-in-law consider this a phase. My mother thinks I'm doing evil things and that my soul is endangered. None of them know anything besides the "I don't consider myself Christian anymore, I'm pagan." None of them wanted to know.
                                My husband is very supportive, my mother-in-law doesn't actually believe me. Annd, other than some random people, no one knows. I totally relate to the 'no one says anything' posts.
                                My Tumblr
                                My Webcomic
                                My Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X