Ask an Aztec Reconstructionist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ask an Aztec Reconstructionist

Saw similar threads, figured I know enough and this is my chosen path, got any questions, ask.

Re: Ask an Aztec Reconstructionist

What made you decide to practice the Aztec Religion?

Comment

As a reconstructionist, the big question for me is always this:

what about the tradition you are reconstructing is relevant to you in today's world?
      If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Yazichestvo View Post
        As a reconstructionist, the big question for me is always this:

what about the tradition you are reconstructing is relevant to you in today's world?
        I would say the entirety of it, the pre-occupation with balance, the general worldview which I feel matches up quite well with modern science, the nature and relationship to Deity, morality, etc. More or less, every aspect of the ancient religion. I feel it's a religion that makes sense.

Originally posted by Nahua View Post
        What made you decide to practice the Aztec Religion?
        It was probably the general worldview before anything else, as well as the imagery, the connection towards various deities, the empire, the culture, etc.

Comment

You know, a few years ago when I had first heard about reconstructionism I had wondered if there was a form of it that focused on the Aztecs. I searched around on the internet but couldn't find much. I was very interested when I saw your posts. I've always felt a strange pulling toward Quetzalcoatl and Huitzilopochtli myself. I don't think I'd be able to commit to Aztec recon though. I guess I just settle for having a keen fascination with them.

Comment

Originally posted by jhooper12 View Post
            You know, a few years ago when I had first heard about reconstructionism I had wondered if there was a form of it that focused on the Aztecs.
            There is actually a handful of us out there that do, you'd be surprised, I certainly was.

I searched around on the internet but couldn't find much. I was very interested when I saw your posts. I've always felt a strange pulling toward Quetzalcoatl and Huitzilopochtli myself. I don't think I'd be able to commit to Aztec recon though. I guess I just settle for having a keen fascination with them.
            Unless you did your research, properly and tried it on, I don't see how you could come to that conclusion. I love Huitzilopochtli.

Comment

I have no questions but just wanted to say thank you for starting this, Ramses II!! And to say it's now stickied, as well!

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

One thing I always love to hear from recons is how they reinterpret or deal with sacrifice. I've met many Celtic, Hellenic and Norse recons who obviously don't engage in blood sacrifice of animals. How do you view the Aztec practice of sacrifice, particularly human sacrifice, and modernize or deal with the idea of it in your practice?

Also: Thanks for starting this thread!

Comment

did you have a hard time figuring out that this beliefs was the right for you??
                  ~ flowers are our only garments
                  only songs make our pain subside ~

Comment

Do you have Aztec heritage? If not, how did you come to this path?

Not to be mean, but I feel the need to put the disclaimer here that there are still Aztec people alive today practicing their traditional culture in families that never gave up their culture to colonial rule. I've encountered way too many people who think the culture was completely decimated.

Comment

Whats the oddest reaction you got when you let others know?

Comment

What role if any does blood play in your faith?

Do you practice trance dancing or use entheogens during rituals?

Is there a good deal of firsthand non-European information that you are able to study?

Comment

I know the ancient Aztecs practiced human sacrifice and the idea of sacrifice in a philosophical sense was very important to them. However just about all reconstructionist religions tend to forgo sacrifice outside of offerings of objects and materials. How does the idea of sacrifice play into Aztec reconstructionism in it's present state?

Comment

The OP hasn't been around for awhile....not sure if/when your questions might be answered guys!
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X