Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: hobbies

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    If you are making dust at all, or worried about particulates, you can use an N-95. Also, you could consider hooking up a vac or shop-vac to the area where you are working to draw and capture particulates away from you--some sanders and things (for the woodworking peeps) have an attachment for this sort of thing already.
    Those are pretty easy to come by -- probably have some in the garage. Thanks for checking that out!

Comment

Soaking bone in vinegar for several days will make it soft (like, rubbery soft). You can then slice long bones and open them up flat. To return to 'bone' hardness, place on a cookie sheet in the oven on lowest setting for a couple hours.

I love carving in bone and antler, no grain to fight like wood. I prefer a Dremel (you really need the variable speed type, not the two speed, for better control), but I'm just arthritic enough that I can't hold one steady for long anymore.
      I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
      Clan of my Clan
      Kin of my Kin
      Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
      And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Didn't know about vinegar - so thanks for the tip

bone comb making comes to mind for the summer

and I agree bone and antler are lovely to work and nicer than wood...although Beech is quite nice to work because it is so close grained

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
          Soaking bone in vinegar for several days will make it soft (like, rubbery soft). You can then slice long bones and open them up flat. To return to 'bone' hardness, place on a cookie sheet in the oven on lowest setting for a couple hours.

I love carving in bone and antler, no grain to fight like wood. I prefer a Dremel (you really need the variable speed type, not the two speed, for better control), but I'm just arthritic enough that I can't hold one steady for long anymore.
          I was wondering about that, since vinegar will actually eat calcium and lime (I use it to clean hard water). I'd think the bone would be more fragile afterwards, which shouldn't really matter for art much.

I just love touching bone and being around it. I've painted it before, but its not really the same.....

The spiderwebs add a nice touch, don't you think?

Comment

I remember when I had hobbies ... that was before the children LOL

So here's some of mine: Martial arts (20 years, 4th degree black belt Master), Brewing Beer, Riding Motorcycles (don't have one right now), Reading Fantasy, Watching Fantasy, D&D (don't have time now days), and going to the Renaissance Festival

BTW, I still maintain that the Renaissance Festival should be a state-wide holiday!

Comment

Snowboarding, Trail-running, COD, Gem hunting, Studying and Cooking.

Comment

Working...
              X