My favorite piece of heresy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My favorite piece of heresy

...With the Sign of the Cross, the old monk Abba Joseph trapped in his cell a dark and miserable demon who had come to tempt him.

"Release me, Father, and let me go," pleaded the demon, "I will not come to tempt you again."

"I will gladly do that, but on one condition," replied the monk. "You must sing for me the song that you sang before God's Throne on high, before your fall."

The demon responded, "You know I cannot do that; it will cause me cruel torture and suffering. And besides, Father, no human ear can hear its ineffable sweetness and live, for you will surely die."

"Then you will have to remain here in my cell," said the monk, "and bear with me the full struggle of repentance."

"Let me go, do not force me to suffer," pleaded the demon.

"Ah, but then you must sing to me the song you sang on high before your fall with Satan."

So the dark and miserable demon, seeing that there was no way out, began to sing, haltingly, barely audible at first, groping for words long forgotten. As he sang, the darkness which penetrated and surrounded him began slowly to dissipate. The song grew ever louder and increasingly stronger, and soon the demon was caught up in its sweetness, his voice fully lifted up in worship and praise. Boldly he sang of the power and the honour and the glory of the Triune God on High, Creator of the Universe, Master of Heaven and Earth, of all things visible and invisible. As the song sung on high before all ages resounded in the fullness of its might, a wondrous and glorious light penetrated the venerable Abba's humble cell, and the walls which had enclosed it were no more.

Ineffable love and joy surged into the very depths of the being of the radiant and glorious angel, as he ever so gently stooped down and covered with his wings the lifeless body of the old hermit who had liberated him from the abyss of Hell.
    Me loves it. <3
    There once was a man who said though,
    It seems that I know that I know,
    What I'd like to see,
    Is the I that knows me,
    When I know that I know that I know.

Re: My favorite piece of heresy

That just gave me chills...
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

what is that from? it is pretty awesome!
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        what is that from? it is pretty awesome!
        That is a quote from an Orthodox Christian priest from either Catholic Answers Forums or OrthodoxChristianity.net whose name escapes me today. He said that it was completely heretical but it warmed his old Irish heart.
        What I'd like to see,
        Is the I that knows me,

Comment

It makes sense, sorta. It's wonderful (if not sorta creepy).

^Btw both of those sites are rather fun
          Circe

Comment

It is very well written
            my etsy store
            My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
            surrounded by plush, downy things,
            ill prepared, but willing,
            to descend."

Comment

This is so intriguing, I'm adding it to my belief journal.
              We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
              It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
              Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
              -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

The only reason why I would consider this heretical is not as much because of the plot or the intention. But because it is a demon who makes the change. Which, according to the christian signification of demons, is impossible. By consequence, the meaning of this fragment certainly is not heretical, only the character which it portrays.

Comment

Originally posted by AquilaMXP View Post
                  The only reason why I would consider this heretical is not as much because of the plot or the intention. But because it is a demon who makes the change. Which, according to the christian signification of demons, is impossible. By consequence, the meaning of this fragment certainly is not heretical, only the character which it portrays.
                  It also denies that Hell is eternal, or even empty. Apocatastasis was repudiated in the 5th century, if I remember correctly.
                  What I'd like to see,
                  Is the I that knows me,

Comment

Thanks for that passage, definately worthwhile the time you took to share it.

Comment

Christianity itself is heretical in my opinion, a cult founded by Saul and co-opted by the Romans all the while pretending to be a religion of saved Jews. The Scientology of the Medieval age.

That's not to say there is no truth to the religion but I take a grain of salt with claims of heresy coming from Christians.
                      Potius mori quam foedari!

Comment

Originally posted by GabrielWithoutWings View Post
                        Me loves it. <3
                        Me too but its a twist on a common folk story about Saint Colm Cille/columba its not heresy... unless its a heresy against irish trads to change the end like that.

The folk story is a cautionary tale that also emphasises the sacredness or magic in the spoken word in irish trad and the great emphasis in the culture on being sharp witted and able to chat. 'The gift of the gab'. The devil comes in disguise to colm cille and wants to talk, colm cille has a chat with him using tricky language and figures out who he is and when the devil looks for a blessing colm cille refuses knowing that if he does it will mean trouble for the world. He does all the stuff to injure and drive off the devil then and doesnt die.

If anyones interested in that type of story Eddie Lenihan collected them in The Devil is an Irish man

Comment

Working...
                        X