Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fluffy Bunny! Well... yes, I am.

Originally posted by April011293 View Post
    Wait....so people call people fluffy just they're beginners? That seems a bit harsh doesn't it? We don't know better, we're just starting out.
    Yeah, some are jerks like that. Most folks that I've come across are pretty understanding of beginners and will simply try to educate them.
    my etsy store
    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

Comment

I think for me it's more defensive to use antagonizing phrasing like that, I guess. Because of how much poop-slinging I've had to deal with when I was basically just some chick looking to dodge a few turd-slings from the outside if you know what I mean. And once in a while that's not even enough for people - because after verbal poo-slinging, then on come the vehement energy attacks for the next week or so because in their minds, I need to be "changed" to...whatever it is. I got tired of it and started actively flipping the bird instead of bothering to be nice anymore; the reaction was less "Let's change this one" and more "I can see she's not changing her mind; too bad for her!" - which is the lesser of two evils as far as I'm concerned. I've never come to a place that was actually truly open to being in the middle until now...all I could ever find was swung all the way to one side or the other, and after BOTH sides got all up in my butt, I went "Welp, screw it."

So that's really how it started for me. When people sit down and talk to me I'm actually a pretty open-minded person. I just don't like being attacked, and it's exhausting trying to defend myself, so I adopted the "haters gon' hate" mentality I guess and can get snarky at times.

I wasn't really aware so many people used this phrase all that much in the spiritual community, so I'm guessing this is only here on this forum or something like that. I've only seen it once or twice and not in a spiritual place but oddly enough something totally unrelated. *shrug*

Comment

I see fluffy bunny all the time outside this forum. That and white lighters, and to a lesser extent these days wanna blessed-be's. I think it's also because you probably hang out with folks who didn't watch Charmed and / or Buffy.

ADD: I will say Special Dark Snowflake is unique to this forum. It started here I think.
        Last edited by Caelia; 30 May 2012, 21:07.
        my etsy store
        My blog

to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
          I see fluffy bunny all the time outside this forum. That and white lighters, and to a lesser extent these days wanna blessed-be's. I think it's also because you probably hang out with folks who didn't watch Charmed and / or Buffy.
          Yeah, same here. I saw it a LOT elsewhere. Not so much here. Here it has the feel of...well, if I may say so, more like a group of long-jaded skeptics who curl the lip a lot and once in a while purr. Which is alright - it suits me, in a way. I've felt the need to tread a lot lighter here than other places as it does feel less wide-open-arms welcoming - but I figure it sort of kind of makes sense based on the neutral/grey viewpoint of the place. Other places were super duper welcoming and then turned out to be super duper spiteful, or just plain "screw off, this group is officially open but unofficially CLOSED". (I mean this in a general sense, mind you, just encounters as a whole I've had with other spiritual individuals or groups) I'd rather be glared at a little bit first and then accepted with time when I can settle in and prove I'm trustworthy, than given big huge creepy smiles and then backstabbed.

I hope that makes sense...? Don't know how to put it very well. :lookingdown:

Comment

ADD: I will say Special Dark Snowflake is unique to this forum. It started here I think.
            The title might be unique to this forum. The behavior that earns it, not so much.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

True, and that's what I get for not specifying :P
              my etsy store
              My blog

to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by RainbowDemonic View Post
                Yeah, same here. I saw it a LOT elsewhere. Not so much here. Here it has the feel of...well, if I may say so, more like a group of long-jaded skeptics who curl the lip a lot and once in a while purr. Which is alright - it suits me, in a way. I've felt the need to tread a lot lighter here than other places as it does feel less wide-open-arms welcoming - but I figure it sort of kind of makes sense based on the neutral/grey viewpoint of the place. Other places were super duper welcoming and then turned out to be super duper spiteful, or just plain "screw off, this group is officially open but unofficially CLOSED". (I mean this in a general sense, mind you, just encounters as a whole I've had with other spiritual individuals or groups) I'd rather be glared at a little bit first and then accepted with time when I can settle in and prove I'm trustworthy, than given big huge creepy smiles and then backstabbed.

I hope that makes sense...? Don't know how to put it very well. :lookingdown:
                I totally get what you're saying and have experienced everything you've mentioned in various groups. It seems you get the ones that have a special club or just let you in and you can't access the VIP room for one reason or another. Sadly I think it's a human nature thing to never find that happy medium in groups.

Also, yeah the "long-jaded skeptic" may apply to me
                my etsy store
                My blog

to descend."

Comment

True, and that's what I get for not specifying :P
                  Ask Dumuzi. Him and I have been on a few Manson forums in the past. Special dark snowflakes are all over the damn place.
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

move along..................
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Medusa, that's why I have this Natalie Dee comic for those folks: nobody-is-special.jpg
                      my etsy store
                      My blog

to descend."

Comment

Re: 'Fluffy Bunny'

I hate the term.

Comment

I don't like the term either. I know it can be a bit annoying for a crotchety old witch like me to listen to newbies banging on about how everything is bright, sunny, and harming none, but then I remind myself that it doesn't actually do any real harm (well, not most of the time anyway.) And I have certainly never liked describing people as fluffy (even if they are, there are better, less inflammatory adjectives that can be used.)

When I've heard other people use the term fluffy bunny, it's usually, as Corbin says, to make themselves sound superior and again, you have to question why they would do that. Usually it's because deep down they have an inferiority complex the size of London, but still, it's a nasty term and highly inaccurate anyway. After all, rabbits can be deeply spiritual beings....
                          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Oh looky here...

There's a Wikki article about Fluffy Bunnies...
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

...and even more amusing, Fuzzy Bunny Whips, for those of you who enjoy your fuzzy bunnies to give lashes...

(probably not work safe, unless you work in a the... ah... the adult entertainment industry)
                              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by April011293 View Post
                                Wait....so people call people fluffy just they're beginners? That seems a bit harsh doesn't it? We don't know better, we're just starting out.

"Fluffy Bunny" isn't that specific, though, April. As I said, from the get-go, in this thread, it's applied to "everything I ain't", pretty much. As has been pointed out, in this very thread even, Pagan Forum is a lot better with NOT singling people out because 'their beliefs don't fit the mainstream', of this community. We started, LONG ago, to try and create a very diverse bunch of people. When I started this thread, though, we had been seeing a little bit of 'us and them' as far as "Real Believers" versus "Who knows WTF they believe!" It exists all over the place; real world, internet, forums galore. We've been pretty decent but we've also had scrapes.

So my whole point, here, was that a person calling someone fluffy was no different than someone else calling THAT person fluffy. We ALL have oddities, of some sort, in our religious or spiritual paths. And being condescending toward someone else for their oddities is nothing short of hypocrisy, really.

That said, Caelia is right. There are some asshats that condemn newbies simply for their lack of knowledge. Fortunately, though, PF has very few of those! Or at least very few examples of that. What is so much more common, here, is that we all want to try and help get past the stereotypes, we want to share information, we want to break DOWN those barriers [the prejudice] that separates people just because they belong to a different world-view.

I just bring up the horrible shit (condescension, for example), because I'm evil, that way. Not only do I think, opine, and observe; I analyze. With a very cynical eye. Then share it, and see other people's views on the subject. Admittedly, since stepping out on the staff, I've not been doing that very much, around here, anymore.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Working...
                                X