Quote Originally Posted by Gunnarr View Post
I would like to understand your POV more, but to do that i need to understand your source related to the subject.

What I do not understand is your wording to start with Inneryard and outeryard, where do you get this terminology as it is different, i prefer Innangard and Utgard as the etymology is more connected to our ancestors and the prefix of the words shows a simplistic meaning of inside/outside.

John Lindow in 'Handbook of Norse Mythology' covers the aspect of Utgard and explains it as outer enclosure, 'Loki as Utgarda Loki' is a liminal figure as in outside of community, although to some he is still accepted.

Innangard being, as Kirsten Hastrup explains in 'A Place Apart' as those which have a social impact on an individual and on which that individual has an impact on. Close knit community/family/ those who are tied to the same plot.

This is opposite to your more exclusive Innangard, understanding that Innangard is a personal thing, so your measure is not wrong but in my opinion different to mine, our ancestors world and worldview.

Behaviour within your community as I put it your "worth", this worth is your usefulness and your contribution, it is a contributing factor to the Innangards luck and strength, from this evolved the concept of thew.

Looking forward to your response and sources.
My "source" is that there really isn't much of a source other than Hastrup. You'll also see in Lindow's book that there isn't any entry on Innangard. Hastrup writes that innangard was the farmstead (literally "inner-yard"), but then seems to use the concentric circle model. Scandinavian law books seem to use a concept of Innangard as the innersanctum as well, separated from the main (public) room. What I have to go by, since (to me) there's a lack of academic clarification- especially in the mythological/cosmological realm, is the general heathen community understanding.

Though, I do think that our two POV's are very similar in certain respects, only differing really in how far we think innangard extends ; you believe it bleeds onto the public sphere, ever changing with our obligations, while I believe it is consistently in the home and not influenced by obligation or social status. As you said yourself, even those without worth or as Other will have their own inneryard.

But, I don't think there's enough info to say that one view or the other is entirely accurate to our ancestors worldview, and I would gather that they themselves had conversations of this nature. That's what people do.