Offerings For An Unfamiliar Entity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offerings For An Unfamiliar Entity

A few days ago, my younger brother was in a mixed martial arts tournament. I prayed to Michael for help protecting him, and he did really well. However, it was a close fight and at the end, they announced that it was a split decision.

Without thinking about it, I prayed, "please, Nike, help tip the scales for him". Not even a minute later, they announced my brother as the winner.

Possibly a coincidence, of course, but I feel like I owe her more than just the verbal "thank you" I gave. I don't know if I'm necessarily obligated to offer something to her, but I really feel like I should.

I've never worked with any entities other than angels, so I'm at a loss. I don't really know much about Nike except that she's the goddess of victory. I thought about laurel, since wreaths of laurel were traditionally given to victors (I wouldn't feel comfortable giving it to my brother, though, since he's an atheist and would just look at me like I am crazy). What would be an appropriate offer of thanks for her, and where should I leave it? The place where he had the fight was just the back room of a restaurant, so it no longer feels like it's "hers" anymore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Re: Offerings For An Unfamiliar Entity

Habbalah, here's what I think -

All honest offerings are made in the same place, and that's the heart.

And also, all honest offerings are made of the same thing, and that's the desire the show thanks.

Make your offering anywhere. Place is just somewhere to put your feet. And do it anyway you want. The physical stuff is just there to give your hands something to do. It's the desire that arises in your heart that matters.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
      Habbalah, here's what I think -

All honest offerings are made in the same place, and that's the heart.

And also, all honest offerings are made of the same thing, and that's the desire the show thanks.

Make your offering anywhere. Place is just somewhere to put your feet. And do it anyway you want. The physical stuff is just there to give your hands something to do. It's the desire that arises in your heart that matters.
      Thank you. I think my biggest fear is honestly in offending her, since I don't know her at all. What if, say I buy her roses and she is a mortal enemy of rosebushes? I just want to do the best I can for her.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

There's no harm in waiting, reading up on her a bit, and then thanking her...especially if you feel strongly about "doing it right". My two cents, at least
        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by Dez View Post
          There's no harm in waiting, reading up on her a bit, and then thanking her...especially if you feel strongly about "doing it right". My two cents, at least
          You're absolutely right. I have a massive fear of "doing it wrong"; this applies to more than just Nike.

Oddly, I'm having a hard time finding stuff about her. I've found out about her history, but not about what one should give to thank her. I'm leaning more and more strongly towards Laurel (if I can find it), though.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Easy! You can buy laurel at the grocery store...just look for a packet of whole bay leaves. They're particularly affordable at Latin markets.

Comment

Easy! You can buy laurel at the grocery store...just look for a packet of whole bay leaves. They're particularly affordable at Latin markets.
              Amusingly, I just came back to the forum from doing a search for "dried laurel"; until ten minutes ago, I didn't know that bay leaves were a species of laurel! I didn't know you could buy them whole, so that's a wonderful suggestion. Thank you so much for your help.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

You're very welcome

I'm just glad I added to what you were figuring out. They're just expensive enough that I haven't considered making small wreaths to sell...if we still lived in CA, though, I'd offer to send you some leaves. The ornamental type is very common as topiary and shrubbery there.

Comment

You're very welcome

I'm just glad I added to what you were figuring out. They're just expensive enough that I haven't considered making small wreaths to sell...if we still lived in CA, though, I'd offer to send you some leaves. The ornamental type is very common as topiary and shrubbery there.
                  I appreciate the thought; unforunately, I live in Michigan, so they would be long, long crispy by the time I got them. If nothing else, I guess I can just buy the ground up bay leaves and put a little dish of those on my altar.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Haha...true!

At the very least, the powde should work fine. Anywhere that sells those little plastic packets of chilies, cinnamon, etc, should have whole ones, too, though... Hope you find somethig that works!

Comment

Working...
                    X