Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Right or Left handed,it really does mean something.

Jun 2007
    Religion
    Norse Something-or-Other
    Phrase
    Nice is not the same as good.

Re: Right or Left handed,it really does mean something.

I am somewhat ambidextrous, mostly continued due to being a musician. There are some things I'm more-so with then others, like gardening.

My parents said that "I couldn't decide" so they insured I was right handed. I'm not sure, though, whether that was a predisposition towards using my left, or mild dyslexia, as I still struggle with fast right/left choices, and will say the wrong one...it was brutally difficult up until I was 9 or so, and I got teased about it.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

I'm a leftie - back in the day it was called 'cack handed' meaning shitty-handed.

Lots of lefties in my family apart from Mr Penry....
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

I am right handed

Cannibal Rights Activist Ophidia's Avatar
    Aug 2008
    Religion
    Ophidism
    Phrase
    I like Nature, just not on me.

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    Same thing happened to my dad - they "fixed" his wrong handedness in school. The nuns didn't want him to be sinister.
    I was ambidextrous until the same thing happened to me. It annoyed my first-grade teacher to see me coloring different sides of the picture with different hands at the same time. She told me I could only color with one hand, and when I chose the left, she made me sit on it so the Devil would leave me alone. I wasn't even in a Christian school - just a regular ol' public school. My parents didn't interfere because 'everything in the world is oriented for right-handers'. I still have a hard time remembering my left from my right, can't follow directions when people use 'left' or 'right', and if someone says 'you've got something on your face' and points to it on themself, I always do something that makes them say, "no, the other side!"

Now my left hand is functionally retarded when it comes to fine motor skills - but I prefer it when shooting, throwing, holding stuff... and I gravitate towards things that are to the left of me.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Feb 2012
    Religion
    UU Kitchen Witch

Quote Originally Posted by anunitu View Post
    I was just wondering if ambidextrous happens without someone forcing it.
    My spouse wasn't forced. She generally does use a specific hand for certain activities - left for righting, right for eating, etc. I don't know why that is; I'm going to have to ask her. She's perfectly fine eating with her left and writing with her right, though.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by anunitu View Post
    I was just wondering if ambidextrous happens without someone forcing it. It is I think a left brain,right brain thing BUT the funny part if I remember it right is if you are right brained you are left handed,and a left brained person would be right handed.
    Anyone have better data about this??
    The brain is cross wired so that the left side of the body feeds into the right hemisphere of the brain, and the right side of the body feeds into the left hemisphere of the brain. I can't really recall, but I don't believe that it has a lot to do with handedness.

There was some speculation back in the 80's that left handed people are more creative because the right side of the brain is the one associated with creativity, and there is a bit of statistical data to support this, but it really shouldn't make a whole lot of difference because the two brain hemispheres communicate very well, unless you're had your corpus callosum cut as a fashion statement, or you came down with a nasty case of Agenesis.

But, just like hands, one hemisphere tends to be dominant - but you can't attribute too much to that because there are very few activities which are really exclusive to either hemisphere.

You are also either right eyed or left eyed too...
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.