Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone feel like Thor is with you?

Can you tell me about it?
    I don't know but for a long while yet I've had this weird feeling that Thor was watching over me. The amount of "thor" related coincidences over the last few years is weird once I took note of it.

Re: Anyone feel like Thor is with you?

Not Thor, no. But I can say that I have other Norse deities that "look out" for me. Although, since they are both a little tricksy it is often a lesson in humility and sometimes just downright funny.

Loki entered my life around 2000 (maybe earilier) and I always saw him as a young boy who wanted me to come out and play. It wasn't until later that he showed me his "adult" face. And he's a shape-shifter, so he's also appeared to me as a spider, or something else that might cause a bit of a scare.

Odin is the one I call Dad, though. And yes, I say Dad, not Allfather. He's patient with me, but isn't above playing a trick or two himself. And he does have a stern side, but I haven't needed to see it very often, thank goodness. He's the one I go to for most of my answers when I'm questing.

What type of coincidences have you noticed? Synchronicity is never something to be ignored. Have you tried doing something to honor Thor? How did that feel to you? Did it feel right?

Comment

I never noticed anything until my sister told me to keep an eye out for synchrony. After she told me that i began to review things over the past few years that I seemed to have "heard " or "experienced " alot of. It began simply with me naming one of my red puppies "Thor" several years ago because he was big and strong, Thor had been my favorite character on Stargate a tv series. Then I was told by my mother that she traced her fathers family roots back to Norway. As the years past I keep encountering more and more Thor things. I thought absolutely nothing of it. I used the name often in conversation as a Verb to describe things i respected and honored. still i thought nothing of it. years honestly have past since I started doing thing. it wasnt until I had a massive mental breakdown and lost my faith in my old religion that I started to research pagan religions, and sure enough Thor's name kept popping up and up. Then it dawned on me day, "I sure seem to have alot of Thor things in my life". And all of them were related to good things. so I thought to myself with much uncertainty" could it be that Thor is watching over me?" sure enough when ever I would take a few moments and just "talk" to Thor it seemed like I felt comfort and like something was trying to say "yeah I'm here, I see you, its ok". not so much like a father figure, more like a big brother type of feeling. I've felt it so strongly at times over the last year I've wondered if I was crazy!
      I've lived a hard life with some seriously bad choices and events. Lots of humility and lessons to be learned in my life...still more to come I'm sure. But I've somehow pulled through when I thought for sure I would die. but after the breakdown i became more aware of things around me and I just cant help but feel that the guardian presence that has answered me the most has been the one that has called himself Thor.
      my sister told me that spirit guides should be subtle and never direct and for sure that is how is been. and over the course of several years.
      Things is I dont even know a whole lot about the norse myths either. Just Thor...sticks out over and over for me.
      Do you have any ideas for honoring him? or thanking him for what I believe he has done for me so far?

Comment

I'd say that for me, all of that would be proof enough that Thor had been watching out for me. Pretty cool, huh?

As far as thanking Him, all you have to do is just that. Say, "Thank you, Thor." You can make an elaborate ritual out of it if you want to, but I've never felt that kind of thing to be necessary, really. Thank Him now for all he's done in the past, and remember to thank Him again whenever you notice His presence.

If you want to honor Him on a regular basis, perhaps building a little shrine with things that you associate with Him. Mostly what this will do is serve to remind you to be grateful and mindful of His presence. And if you don't have the room for that, perhaps you can write a heartfelt little verse that you could say daily. Daily practice is important, just say something while you're getting ready for bed, or getting in the shower. Pause for a few moments each day and reflect and be thankful to Him for His blessings.

Thank goodness most gods don't require goats any more.

Comment

Thor is the first God to unequivocally come out and make himself known to me. I switched to Perun when I chose Slavic paganism, but I don't feel like I ever really left Thor. My first storm from Thor took place after offering a libation, and asking for guidance in developing willpower and inner strength. Some people see him as a God of muscle, but for me there's always been a lot more to "strength" than muscle.
          If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

I have to agree with you on this Yaz. I think "strength" covers alot more then just muscle and this is how I view Thor too. I've needed alot of emotional strength to get through the last 10 years. I also feel that the spirits are not "solid" in one pantheon, I think that's just another way mankind has chosen to translate perhaps their own set of gods. So I believe Thor is still with you as well . I think the spirits we ourselves need are the ones that help us no matter what ancient "origins" they might become known to us.

Comment

Here is a time when I know the gods are looking out for me. Yesterday was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. The worst in a while. I did a cleansing meditation and felt a bit better. Then I decided to play with my phone. (I never turn my phone on at work, so this was strange) I have an application on there (iPhone) called Daily Asatru. I checked the Havamal and got this:

"Have you got a friend that you trust well, from whom you crave good? Share your mind with him, gifts exchange with him, fare to find him often."

Which was precisely the message I needed just then. Then I was thinking about a particular situation and a book that I'd almost forgotten I own popped into my mind. I KNEW that book would help (it did, I spent some of this morning reading through it).

So, I was grateful. I am grateful. I made an offering and said a little prayer of thanksgiving this morning. I love being magic.

Comment

I think it is wonderful that you are feeling this connection. and I agree with the others in what they have said. I would add that ot me, Taking time to sit in revrence to your god is a powerful thanksgiving in itself. and i dont mean elaborate long rituals. It is more important to do something every day, even if it's just "hey Thor! what's up? thanks for being there, just saying hi ! " kind of thing. if you strengthen the connection by focusing on it, you will find the right actions for your path.

Comment

Why not honor Thor in a more traditional way? Give him something he's used to. Ale and mead, for starters.

Also, we have a Heathenry section that's awful dusty, just to drop a shameless plug
                  "Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others."
                  -Thomas Jefferson

Let a man never stir on his road a step
                  without his weapons of war;
                  for unsure is the knowing when the need shall arise
                  of a spear on the way without.
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by Thjoth View Post
                    Why not honor Thor in a more traditional way? Give him something he's used to. Ale and mead, for starters.

Also, we have a Heathenry section that's awful dusty, just to drop a shameless plug
                    This.

With a horn full ale, I raise a toast! For it's when I've almost got a tornado by the tail that I feel Thor the most. And me yelling, "Let's PLAY!"

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                      This.

With a horn full ale, I raise a toast! For it's when I've almost got a tornado by the tail that I feel Thor the most. And me yelling, "Let's PLAY!"

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
                      Not that far from the truth, really. When all those tornadoes were touching down last week, I was outside for most of that storm. I just stopped at the door, touched my chest to make sure Mjolnir was still there, and went about my business. I'll worry about avoiding it when the Thunderer proves that he wants me dead. Incidentally, a tornado did touch down about three miles north of where I was at the time.

I suppose that's just how my faith manifests. From the outside it looks like a flagrant disregard for my own safety. Hell, it IS a flagrant disregard for my own safety. That same storm literally wiped a small town from the face of the earth that day, a mere 25 miles or so from the spot where I was wandering around outside in the open.

This brings me to the OP's question, which I really wasn't going to directly answer due to the risk of breaching my normal character of the absolutely logical one, but now I'm in a funny mood. Here's my UPG. Have I ever felt like Thor (or Tyr, as is more likely in my case, or any of the other Aesir, Vanir, or anyone else) is with me? No. No I haven't. I've never directly felt the presence of a deity. I've had no visions or dreams, seen no apparitions, heard no voices, hell, I've never even had a crazy drunken "either that was the alcohol or I just saw something freaky" experience, and I've been rural Kentucky levels of drunk. Their power is a different matter entirely.

Sometimes it just happens entirely at random, for days or even weeks at a time. Much of the time, it happens when I'm in a physically dangerous situation. It's like I exist in a bubble of nothingness separated from the world, or like I'm behind an enormous shield that nothing can penetrate. Utterly safe and protected, utterly in control, and utterly calm; it's like standing in the eye of a hurricane that's moving in slow motion. Like the entire universe has my back, regardless of what happens next. It's a power so vast that it can sunder mountains and crack the sky, but the power and the one to whom it belongs can be called "friend."

I would make this analogy: it works like an artillery crew. You feel the raw power and destructive force of the shells' impact without ever seeing the gun and the crew that fired it. That crew knows you're there, and you know the same about them, but your paths don't cross except for that extension of power. It's like that.

Also, that took me over two hours to put into words. New record for the lowest words-per-minute ever.
                      "Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others."
                      -Thomas Jefferson

Let a man never stir on his road a step
                      without his weapons of war;
                      for unsure is the knowing when the need shall arise
                      of a spear on the way without.
                      -

Comment

Thjoth...that was wonderful.

Something to think about, and I don't know if this holds true for everyone. For me, personally, though, and for those I've met who "see" or "hear" things from time to time, instead of just feeling...I've noticed that everyone I've met or talked to with those sorts of experiences had a really rough childhood. I personally wonder whether something got "kicked loose". Not that people who have those sorts of experiences are unstable(usually not the case, even if some are more unorthodox), but if certain experiences, such as experience with dissociative states due to trauma, make it easier for someone to have that style of experience. While good in some ways, also much more exhausting, overwhelming, and potentially disruptive of normal life, combined with a constant worry that you might have just gone over the edge into nuts.

Just my two cents, though.
                        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I had some delicious hard cider last night that is the best I ever had, so I am planning this weekend to buy some of my own and share some with Thor as a Thank You, (since its so delicious).
                          Funny story, today, I was helping dismantle a steel gondola and my manager handed me the rubber mallet to bang apart the connections, first time a nice perfect and strong seperation. I said 'Thank you Thor!" and a friend of mine said "did you just say Thank you Thor?", and another replied, "Of course she did!" To which I replied "Thor is my man!" It was funny, and my friend who knows I am a pagan, loved it!

Comment

Dez, that is a very interesting theory. I'll have to talk to some of my closer pagan friends who I know "see" and find out about any trauma. It certainly holds true for me, so feel free to add me to that statistical group. lol

And PT, awesome! And I think Thor would appreciate the cider. Odin seems to prefer darker beers, but will accept any alcohol we happen to have on hand. Lately that has been vodka. While I'd love to always be able to have the preferred drink of my Gods on hand, I think they understand and appreciate the effort no matter what libations we offer. And hooray for hammers!

Comment

Originally posted by Thjoth View Post

Absolutly you could and should learn the traditions. to me, the connection to the spirit is most important. If you Cultivate that connection, you will be drawn to many things. some of it is tradtion (which is important, don't get me wrong) But how would we know that Frey desires honey if not for dedicants striving for a deeper connection with that energy?

Comment

Working...
                              X