How long will pickles keep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long will pickles keep

I am asking because I have a large jar of Vlasic dills that has been in the frig for about 6 months,it has been opened.
    Just wondering if they are ok to eat.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: How long will pickles keep

I'd go to town on those bad boys!!! Then again, I hate wastage and am not shy to eat around mould ^^

Seriously though, I am quite sure the pickling process is one of the best methods of food preservation there is, so I'd be surprised if there is anything sinister living on them. Just... Don't sue me!

---------- Post added at 04:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 AM ----------

Wait... Rewind... HOW LONG? In my home, pickles are lucky to last a day! It's actually a bit of a joke between JP and I. Apparently I exaggerate the 'P' when I say pickle, so he skits me for it!

In other pickle news.. I recently opened a jar by myself for the first time ever (usually I stab the lid with a knife first). I've been shamefully feeble all my life, but started working out last August. This was a proud moment for us both and we put the lid in our memory box!
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Actually I did go to work on them,and they are still crisp and snappy..Yummmm
      P.S. If you don't see me online,then blame Jembru..I am prob pushing up daisies.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

High salt concentrations and very acidic conditions = a pretty lousy environment for bacteria. I would have done the same.
        If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

Did I mention it was a BIG jar,got it at Cosco..More like a restaurant size. So took a while to eat them...

You know the place where you buy potato chips in a bag the size of a bean bag chair.
          Last edited by anunitu; 04 Mar 2012, 23:08.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I know my folks pickle and we're still eating pickled stuff from 10 years ago. If done correctly you should be fine.

DISCLAIMER: You probably don't want to eat 10-year-old stuff like I do. I walk on the wild side like that.
            my etsy store
            My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
            surrounded by plush, downy things,
            ill prepared, but willing,
            to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post

DISCLAIMER: You probably don't want to eat 10-year-old stuff like I do. I walk on the wild side like that.
              Ah, girl after my own heart! I recently ate some canned prunes that were almost a year and a half out of date. Rather than worry about it, I considered them matured like a fine wine! Tasted like any other prunes and my digestive system seemed just fine afterwards!! 'Waste not want not', as they say!
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Anyone know if the same would hold for commercial sauerkraut in a jar? Mine's not that old yet - only about a month, but it is opened.
                The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Not sure,but it is pickled I think,though if it is Kimshee you might want to take precautions,that stuff has been known to blow up sometimes..Pretty strong stuff.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

In general, anything pickled will hold up for a long, long time. I'd say, if it still smells like vinegar you're prolly okay.
                    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

magellan kept in a pickle barrell from the phillipense to england, I think pickles are always safe as long as they stay covered in the fluid. exposed to air they can grow mold.

Comment

Working...
                      X