This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Divination POV's

The question is fairly obvious, but feel free to elaborate on your personal ideas about how you use divination and how/why you think it works (or doesn't work). When do you use divination? Do you have any particular ritual or procedure that you follow? Do you prefer one form over another for different things?
    primarily from without (deities/the cosmos/spirits/etc)
    0%
    primarily from within (subconscious)
    0%
    half and half
    0%
    its BS all around
    0%
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Divination POV's

I'm a half and half. I think that for the most part, divination works because you believe it to work (ergo coming from within), but somehow, inexorably there must be some small spark of divine intervention involved (what that entails, I know not).

I use it when I feel the need, and there isn't anything particular that I do, except maybe wipe the dust off and light some incense. Also, always use Tarot.

Mostly art.

Comment

I'm also a half and half. I think divination is a powerful tool, and interpretation comes from within ourselves. I also believe that the Divine has a hand in controlling, for example, where the stones fall and which cards appear. It's up to us to interpret what They give us.

Comment

I'm primarily a Tarot reader, although I've used other tools for divination. I've found the Tarot to be a powerful tool for self-analysis and digging through layers of surface crap to bring up the real problems and issues a person is having. I know a great deal of that is me, using the symbolism and archetypes to give myself or someone else some unlicensed therapy.

There are times, though, when I'll lay out the cards and I get this feeling like a small lightning bolt hits me, and the top of my head cracks open, and I start telling a person things that aren't even in the cards I've laid out. I don't know where it comes from, or who or what, but it's like the cards turn into a key that unlocks some vault of [shadow=red,left][glow=red,2,300]Hidden Knowledge of the Ancients[/glow][/shadow] and I am just an open channel for transmission.
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I didn't understand what BS means and Wikipedia page wasn't helpful either, so I answered "from within (subconsicious)".

Comment

It means Bullsh*t. Anywho, I voted from within as you look for your own answer
            Joel Marriott
            Feel Free To Check Out My Blog

Comment

[quote author=Joel link=topic=460.msg6285#msg6285 date=1287915836]
              It means Bullsh*t. Anywho, I voted from within as you look for your own answer
              [/quote]

Haha, okay.. That cleared a lot, thanks. And obviously it wasn't an option i would have chosen in that case anyway.

Comment

Welcome. Yep, I don't think too many people will choose that option either to be quite honest with you
                Joel Marriott
                Feel Free To Check Out My Blog

Comment

(I just noticed I forgot to answer to the question, but i couldn't modify the message anymore.)

About using divination: I mainly use tarot (I also have rune set, but I don't like the material (=hematite)). Usually I go for them when I just feel the need of using them. And that is usually when my mind is somehow messed up; I don't know what to do, what to think, should I worry about something or I already am worrying too much or so.. Reading tarot usually calms my mind and gives me new ideas or ways to look at things.

I also have a some kind of ritual thing going on there, but it's more about me getting into the right state of mind rather than getting acceptance of gods or something like that. Basically I just always try to light a candles or a tea lights to my "altar" before reading, and I try not to look at the cards when I'm mixing them (because mine are two-sided), I pull the cards my eyes closed and i pick the card that sort of wants to come from the deck.. It's hard to explain... I spread the cards in front of me so that I only see the edges (to avoid unconciously picking up the cards I want to), then I let my left hand move over the cards so that it touches the cards gently but not too much. Then i pick up the cards which start "moving" along my hand. And i also do the spreading thing again after every card. (I don't mix them but just pile and spread them again.)

Comment

[quote author=pihlaja link=topic=460.msg6284#msg6284 date=1287915638]
                    I didn't understand what BS means and Wikipedia page wasn't helpful either, so I answered "from within (subconsicious)".
                    [/quote]

oh! I'm sorry about that!
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=460.msg6308#msg6308 date=1287922555]
                      oh! I'm sorry about that!
                      [/quote]

It's okay, I should have gotten that without an explanation. I was just making it too complicating in my mind ("is this some sort of Jung-type of shared subconscious or what.." ).

Comment

I mainly use runes; I never fully explored Tarot enough to be comfortable with it. Runes came far more naturally to me.

Comment

I think I've *tried* just about everything. But, considering that I think that divination comes almost exclusively from within, with some room for cosmic synchronicity, I've found quite a few forms of divination to be superfluous...or that they don't speak to me enough to be worth the time and effort to be fluent in their use.

While I have used runes, I've never been overly interested in them enough to do more than a cursory study...I painfully waded my way thru a couple of books by Edred Thorsson (one our roomies was Heathen...we had community bookshelves), and then put them down as not useful enough FOR ME (before someone gets mad) to devote that kind of time and effort to. I prefer tarot cards...but not the Rider Waite style deck. I have a couple of different random decks that appeal to me for different reasons, though I only *use* one of them (and not all that often).

sigpic

Comment

I picked "subconscious" - IMHO, whatever technique one uses acts as a sort of hook for your mind to hang things on. That's why I think some people have a distinct preference for one method over another.

I like the I Ching. Using it involves a little ritual that puts me in the right frame of mind, and it pretty much always provides me with something I can use. I like tarot cards, and have a couple of decks, but I don't use them for their intended purpose. I just like to look at the pictures.
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I picked half and half, because sometimes we need a little guidance to get the the right solution
                              "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
                              - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Working...
                              X