View Poll Results: Where do you think divination answers come from?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • primarily from without (deities/the cosmos/spirits/etc)

7 9.09%
  • primarily from within (subconscious)

17 22.08%
  • half and half

51 66.23%
  • its BS all around

2 2.60%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Divination POV's

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Divination POV's

The question is fairly obvious, but feel free to elaborate on your personal ideas about how you use divination and how/why you think it works (or doesn't work). When do you use divination? Do you have any particular ritual or procedure that you follow? Do you prefer one form over another for different things?
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Re: Divination POV's

I'm a half and half. I think that for the most part, divination works because you believe it to work (ergo coming from within), but somehow, inexorably there must be some small spark of divine intervention involved (what that entails, I know not).

I use it when I feel the need, and there isn't anything particular that I do, except maybe wipe the dust off and light some incense. Also, always use Tarot.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan
    Phrase
    Ask me about my crippling shyness.

I'm also a half and half. I think divination is a powerful tool, and interpretation comes from within ourselves. I also believe that the Divine has a hand in controlling, for example, where the stones fall and which cards appear. It's up to us to interpret what They give us.

Cannibal Rights Activist Ophidia's Avatar
    Aug 2008
    Religion
    Ophidism
    Phrase
    I like Nature, just not on me.

I'm primarily a Tarot reader, although I've used other tools for divination. I've found the Tarot to be a powerful tool for self-analysis and digging through layers of surface crap to bring up the real problems and issues a person is having. I know a great deal of that is me, using the symbolism and archetypes to give myself or someone else some unlicensed therapy.

There are times, though, when I'll lay out the cards and I get this feeling like a small lightning bolt hits me, and the top of my head cracks open, and I start telling a person things that aren't even in the cards I've laid out. I don't know where it comes from, or who or what, but it's like the cards turn into a key that unlocks some vault of [shadow=red,left][glow=red,2,300]Hidden Knowledge of the Ancients[/glow][/shadow] and I am just an open channel for transmission.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Oct 2010

I didn't understand what BS means and Wikipedia page wasn't helpful either, so I answered "from within (subconsicious)".

Oct 2010

It means Bullsh*t. Anywho, I voted from within as you look for your own answer
    Joel Marriott
    Feel Free To Check Out My Blog

Oct 2010

[quote author=Joel link=topic=460.msg6285#msg6285 date=1287915836]
    It means Bullsh*t. Anywho, I voted from within as you look for your own answer
    [/quote]

Haha, okay.. That cleared a lot, thanks. And obviously it wasn't an option i would have chosen in that case anyway.

Oct 2010

Welcome. Yep, I don't think too many people will choose that option either to be quite honest with you
    Joel Marriott
    Feel Free To Check Out My Blog

Oct 2010

(I just noticed I forgot to answer to the question, but i couldn't modify the message anymore.)

About using divination: I mainly use tarot (I also have rune set, but I don't like the material (=hematite)). Usually I go for them when I just feel the need of using them. And that is usually when my mind is somehow messed up; I don't know what to do, what to think, should I worry about something or I already am worrying too much or so.. Reading tarot usually calms my mind and gives me new ideas or ways to look at things.

I also have a some kind of ritual thing going on there, but it's more about me getting into the right state of mind rather than getting acceptance of gods or something like that. Basically I just always try to light a candles or a tea lights to my "altar" before reading, and I try not to look at the cards when I'm mixing them (because mine are two-sided), I pull the cards my eyes closed and i pick the card that sort of wants to come from the deck.. It's hard to explain... I spread the cards in front of me so that I only see the edges (to avoid unconciously picking up the cards I want to), then I let my left hand move over the cards so that it touches the cards gently but not too much. Then i pick up the cards which start "moving" along my hand. And i also do the spreading thing again after every card. (I don't mix them but just pile and spread them again.)

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

[quote author=pihlaja link=topic=460.msg6284#msg6284 date=1287915638]
    I didn't understand what BS means and Wikipedia page wasn't helpful either, so I answered "from within (subconsicious)".
    [/quote]

oh! I'm sorry about that!
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible