View Poll Results: Where do you think divination answers come from?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • primarily from without (deities/the cosmos/spirits/etc)

7 9.09%
  • primarily from within (subconscious)

17 22.08%
  • half and half

51 66.23%
  • its BS all around

2 2.60%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Divination POV's

Nov 2010
    Religion
    Heathen with a reconstructionist approach
    Phrase
    To be without silver is better than to be without honor

Re: Divination POV's

I voted BS it is my opinion related to rune work, as i do not know where folk come by the knowledge to work them.
    Last edited by Gunnarr; 24 Feb 2011 at 09:15.
    Gunnarr Sandisson
    "A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be." Albert Einstein
    Five Boroughs Hearth

Feb 2013
    Religion
    Ir

I've been reading for decades and I have no idea. I suspect there's some illusion and expectation bias involved.

Jun 2013
    Religion
    witchy eclectic runaround like Joe Campbell

I read cards for a living, but nothing in the poll fits.

Without, in the sense that I'm diciphering something on the table in front of me.

Within, in the sense that it's a mental process.

Why it works, I have no idea,

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Pagan - and heading North for a while...
    Phrase
    I am grounded, I am humble, I am one with everything.

Mostly within, I guess cos I believe we have the answers (in regard to readings about ourselves, and that's all I really do). Beyond that, I don't really know or care, so long as it works.
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

Apr 2013
    Religion
    If you want to know, ask.
    Phrase
    Two roads diverged in a wood and I took the one less travelled by. Now where in Hades am I?

I went with the half and half.
    I do online tarot readings now and then, and something from the outside must have an influence over the deck because there is no way I could get something that precise about people I have never met and know very little of if it was merely random or all from the inside.
    On the other hand, my main tool of interpretation is my logical/analytical powers and my ability to see patterns between the cards and not so much 'the cards speaking to me'. So something from with in too.

Sep 2013
    Religion
    Wiccan

I think half and half. I'm learning to use tarot right now, just a beginner but so far having good luck. I've read them wrong though sometimes only to realize what it meant later. I know though that the future is always changing. So far i'm working on a card a day and some simple small spreads to learn here and there. I also have a pendulum but i've noticed that is really tricky. I can easily make it move the way I want it to, without even wanting to do that. I find that easier looking at it directly though so I look far above it while asking the question and wait a bit then look at it but even then sometimes. I think it may be completely from within but I don't always want to hear want I want to hear because sometimes that isn't what I need to hear...does that make sense?

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Modern Constructionist Germanic Heathen with Shamanic Tendencies
    Phrase
    You know what it takes, so do it.

I voted Primarily From Within because while the information IS all around us (the universe) and many external things can influence a situation (people, entities, energy flows) the ability to perceive what is there (divination) comes from the Reader's own awareness and ability to apply meaning to what is seen.
    "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Canaanite Polytheism with a dash of Catholic eclecticism

I put my vote for 50/50. In my experience, there's a lot of questions (for my personal path) that I do know already. It's just a matter of getting clarification from the gods through divination to clarify exactly what I think I'm doing. Or, as is usually the case, getting my ego out of the way so I can hear the truth and finally do something with it. :3

The divination method isn't always the same for me either. One day it may be me humming or singing a tuneless made up song, then turning on the TV/radio/meeting people who are doing the exact same thing, or are talking about a topic I've had on my mind a lot. Very rarely do I get the clearest answer through formal divination so far (runes, tarot).

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Ecletic Pagan
    Phrase
    There is no mastery--only constant improvement.

My answer is similar to turningtides'. Some I know I hear from the entities I work with, some I know are just my own thoughts becoming clear, and some, I'm not sure whether they're coming from within or from the divine.
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Jan 2014
    Religion
    Solitary Witch

I chose 50/50 since I believe that divinity talks to us through our subconscious and it can be very difficult, if not impossible, to completely divide the two. Where the answers come from though, always feels very external to me. I tend to use divination for anything; confirmation on whether or not I should do a ritual or spell, whether I'm making the right life choices, just asking if there is anything I should know or be considering, etc.

I don't really have any ritual or procedure that I follow; just a little meditation and trying to feel connected before I do it. Nothing all that special.

I like both the tarot and runes; I go through phases as to which I use more. I've tried crystal/fire/water gazing, and I struggle with it and don't use it that often. I haven't thought about it in a while, but that is a skill that I would like to develop.