Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marijuana,should it be legal,and regulated,or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marijuana,should it be legal,and regulated,or Not?

Probably this will become a debate. Marijuana,should it be legal,and regulated. It is a very heavily debated issue. I think it would be better to be legal,and regulated like alcohol. Allow adults to choose if they want to consume it in a responsible manner,and responsible is a key point. Add your take on this issue,and as always let us discuss the issue with reasonable and thoughtful debate,no slash and burn angry flaming.

As an aside,I personally seldom if ever use it. Just not my thing.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: Marijuana,should it be legal,and regulated,or Not?

Yes, it should be legal.

It might be regulated, but it's hard to see how - easy to grow killer weed pretty much any place outside of the arctic.

Don't we waste enough money on trying to control the uncontrolable already?
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Indeed,it is hard regulating even Alcohol,but that it seems more about taxing it than controlling it.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I don't use it. But where I grew up lots of people do. It's everywhere. Some people it affects strongly, most it does not...sort of like alcohol.

I also have seen all the problems its ban has caused. I don't know about everywhere, but in British Columbia it would solve loads of issues with crime if it were legalized. There is sort of an unwritten code where police don't bother with a lot of stuff (mostly possession and growing for clearly personal use are left alone, though not officially decriminalized). But there's still a lot of trade, growth and trafficking that falls under the strongly illegal banner and it's just not worth it.

A lot of Canadians do feel the same way. I think that if we didn't have a conservative government, it would have been legalized or at least decriminalized by now.

In Europe drugs are treated much differently. Possession (unless it's high amounts) is decriminalized. It's also less of a 'war on drugs' mentality over here and more of an attempt to educate and rehabilitate people.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
          Indeed,it is hard regulating even Alcohol,but that it seems more about taxing it than controlling it.
          Yes - I think that regulating for tax purposes would work, because that tax would be on a final, manufactured product which would be fairly easy to tax by taxing the manufacturer. Loose weed & homegrown would still be available for those who want it, I'm sure, but other people would go for the easiest means - buying.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
            Yes - I think that regulating for tax purposes would work, because that tax would be on a final, manufactured product which would be fairly easy to tax by taxing the manufacturer. Loose weed & homegrown would still be available for those who want it, I'm sure, but other people would go for the easiest means - buying.
            Yep totally agreed. I don't think it's that hard. Look how many people bother to grow their own veggies and herbs compared to how many people just buy them in the stores. Or how many people home brew their own beer vs buying it.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
              I don't use it. But where I grew up lots of people do. It's everywhere. Some people it affects strongly, most it does not...sort of like alcohol.

I also have seen all the problems its ban has caused. I don't know about everywhere, but in British Columbia it would solve loads of issues with crime if it were legalized. There is sort of an unwritten code where police don't bother with a lot of stuff (mostly possession and growing for clearly personal use are left alone, though not officially decriminalized). But there's still a lot of trade, growth and trafficking that falls under the strongly illegal banner and it's just not worth it.
              That's not always the case. My roommate was charged with possession when he was a teenager. Though, to be fair, he got pulled over at a random roadblock, and the cops found a half pound on him. But then again, when I was little, I lived in a house for a while that was a large growing operation, and I vaguely remember the house being busted, but nobody ever got arrested. I'd even been in that room once or twice: maybe my ten year old brain is remembering things differently, but it was huge and I don't recall the cops ever doing anything about it.

I think it depends largely on the cop and the size of the offense. Some just can't be bothered, I think.

But yeah. Living in BC, I'm all for legalizing marijuana. I don't smoke the stuff, but it would just make life easier if they legalized it.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                That's not always the case. My roommate was charged with possession when he was a teenager. Though, to be fair, he got pulled over at a random roadblock, and the cops found a half pound on him. But then again, when I was little, I lived in a house for a while that was a large growing operation, and I vaguely remember the house being busted, but nobody ever got arrested. I'd even been in that room once or twice: maybe my ten year old brain is remembering things differently, but it was huge and I don't recall the cops ever doing anything about it.

I think it depends largely on the cop and the size of the offense. Some just can't be bothered, I think.

But yeah. Living in BC, I'm all for legalizing marijuana. I don't smoke the stuff, but it would just make life easier if they legalized it.
                Yeah and I've heard they've gotten stricter lately. They want to make a few examples out of people. I think it's definitely a move in the totally wrong direction.

It's not strict at all in BC, or Canada in general, compared to a lot of places though. That's why I mentioned it. You'd have to have quite a bit to get arrested and though there are some cases where people are arrested for less, from experience it's the exception and not the rule. I've had several friends caught smoking up by the police and the police only even confiscated it half the time.

Comment

I think one of the reasons they've become stricter is that the US/Canada border has become a major smuggling route into the US. Probably political pressure from the United States.

Comment

Not overly attached to either side of the issue. I am annoyed with some state governments who've decided that federal law only applies within their borders if a fed is actively watching but that's not directly attached to legalization. I'd be perfectly fine with watching marijuana legalized the day after a number of people are convicted as accessories to various federal crimes. For now my opinion is that either the US needs to make up its mind and decriminalize it or the US needs to remind some of its states of the difference between a law and a guideline. I don't overly care which happens as long as one of the two does happen.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                      I think one of the reasons they've become stricter is that the US/Canada border has become a major smuggling route into the US. Probably political pressure from the United States.
                      I think that's part of it, but the border pressure is two-way, since we've had an influx of illegal guns come in from the US in recent years, and we only want guns for hunting deer (and other animals) in Canada.

Comment

I'm also for legalizing it as long as it faces some regulation under the ATF. It was something a police officer and I discussed while I was in college, and he reasonably cited concerns of people's access to it with other mind-altering substances. Part of that view stems from his line of work but it carries why I feel it falls under ATF regulations. It also provides more opportunities to study the health effects of it (even with proper paperwork scientists have trouble studying it without hassle).
                        my etsy store
                        My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                        surrounded by plush, downy things,
                        ill prepared, but willing,
                        to descend."

Comment

In Thailand, if you're caught with it, you're imprisoned. Why anyone would smoke up there is -beyond- me. I've seen Brokedown Palace, I don't need to go to prison in Thailand.

Mostly art.

Comment

Yeah I don't get that....it's soooo not worth the risk! I've read stories of people getting caught and arrested there (and places with similar laws) and all this outcry about it, and while I don't agree with the laws, I kind of do think 'come on...did you -have- to?'

Comment

I don't care if it's legalized. That'd be nice but since it isn't actually legal in ANY country, I'd just settle for decriminalization. That seems a far easier and attainable goal.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Working...
                              X