X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Modern Day Hunting and Gathering?

It's really nice up there.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Another great haul this week! I have now discovered that if I go to the supermarket at opening time, they sell off what they call 'store seconds', which is basically just slightly misshapen fruit and veg. My best bargain has to be the HUGE bag of satsumas I got for 49p! (I boasted about this to my boyfriend in Japanese and when I told him I bought two bags, I accidentally used the verb for 'wrote' (kaita) instead of 'bought' (katta). He has thus been asking me, in English, to 'tell so and so about the satsumas you wrote in Morisons'...lol).

I also got some oyster mushrooms for 49p and I honestly can't see what is wrong with them. The following day, I got a 39p pineapple because it's leaves had fallen off. They're usually a pound, so are they saying that we usually pay 61p for the inedible leaves?.
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
        Another great haul this week! I have now discovered that if I go to the supermarket at opening time, they sell off what they call 'store seconds', which is basically just slightly misshapen fruit and veg. My best bargain has to be the HUGE bag of satsumas I got for 49p! (I boasted about this to my boyfriend in Japanese and when I told him I bought two bags, I accidentally used the verb for 'wrote' (kaita) instead of 'bought' (katta). He has thus been asking me, in English, to 'tell so and so about the satsumas you wrote in Morisons'...lol).

I also got some oyster mushrooms for 49p and I honestly can't see what is wrong with them. The following day, I got a 39p pineapple because it's leaves had fallen off. They're usually a pound, so are they saying that we usually pay 61p for the inedible leaves?.
        Love this!
        I do know a couple of things that you can do to make food shelf-stable for a while, if you get a good deal. You can make cheese last indefinitely by dipping the whole brick into wax. And you can coat eggs with mineral oil and you can store them outside of the fridge for like 10 months. Something to consider when you can't turn down a good deal on food! (I learned this from the NatGeo show Doomsday Preppers...)

Comment

Originally posted by MyPseudonym View Post
          Love this!
          I do know a couple of things that you can do to make food shelf-stable for a while, if you get a good deal. You can make cheese last indefinitely by dipping the whole brick into wax. And you can coat eggs with mineral oil and you can store them outside of the fridge for like 10 months. Something to consider when you can't turn down a good deal on food! (I learned this from the NatGeo show Doomsday Preppers...)
          WOW! thanks a lot for the hints. That's really useful to know. My mum just had to throw out a dozen eggs that she'd forgotten she had (annoying because I use a lot of eggs when my boyfriend is around). I'll have to let her know that one! I chop up and freeze some things, but I wish there was a way to keep salad leaves for longer. I usually manage to eat it in time, but sometimes I buy it just a little too late.
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

WOW! thanks a lot for the hints. That's really useful to know. My mum just had to throw out a dozen eggs that she'd forgotten she had (annoying because I use a lot of eggs when my boyfriend is around). I'll have to let her know that one! I chop up and freeze some things, but I wish there was a way to keep salad leaves for longer. I usually manage to eat it in time, but sometimes I buy it just a little too late.
            Wet paper towel in your salad container. Keeps 'em fresh.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
              Wet paper towel in your salad container. Keeps 'em fresh.
              I could kiss you! Thanks for this. I'll give it a go as soon as I get home this morning.

Comment

I second what V said about the wet paper towels...I wrap them around each bunch individually.

The only exception is fresh herbs, like basil and rosemary. Those actually do best if treated like flowers; take a mason jar and fill it most of the way with water, then trim the ends of the herbs and stick them in. Take a little plastic bag, put water inside and shake it around until there is just a fine mist of droplets on the inside. Pour anything else out, and stick it over the top. I've had woody herbs like marjoram keep for two weeks or more, so long as I change the water often.
                Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Thanks Dez! I actually popped over here to say that in just one day, putting the wet paper towels in the drawer has actually made my baby gems go crisp again! They were starting to wilt but now.. good as new! And they say magic doesn't exist? ^^ Okay, my cabbage hasn't responded quite as well, but I'm still impressed.

Comment

Thanks Dez! I actually popped over here to say that in just one day, putting the wet paper towels in the drawer has actually made my baby gems go crisp again! They were starting to wilt but now.. good as new! And they say magic doesn't exist? ^^ Okay, my cabbage hasn't responded quite as well, but I'm still impressed.

Yep! I keep all my celery in a container with water, and my kale in a glass of water in the fridge (it goes wilty VERY quickly, and I eat a lot of kale) ...I find my salad never has this problem, but I buy the pre-packaged containers of salad leaves, but only because it's the only way to get fresh herbs/argula/spinach/mix out of season. Spinach is awful this time of year, here.

Mostly art.

Comment

I've come to realise I prefer spinach when it has thick beefy leaves! The bag I have at the moment is like that.. and that is one thing that seems to stay fresh for ages!

Comment

I'm a naturally cheap person, so I do this, yeah. But I also have to admit to having "buy it because it's on sale" syndrome.

Comment

Originally posted by -JT- View Post
                          I'm a naturally cheap person, so I do this, yeah. But I also have to admit to having "buy it because it's on sale" syndrome.
                          That's the danger, yeah. I try to resist buying things that won't freeze, if I already have plenty of fresh salad etc, but sometimes, seeing 3 courgettes for 39p is just too tempting!

My latest thrifty discovery was that tofu from the Oriental supermarket in Newcastle, is far, far cheaper than it is from mainstream supermarkets and health food stores. I was curious about this, and on looking into it, it is actually manufactured in Newcastle's china town by one of the local families. Although cheaper, it is sold in large quantities, so I do have to freeze some of it, which turns it yellowish, but the taste is the same (you know.. that familiar 'nothing' taste we all love).

I fed my boyriend today, and he was full to bursting point. I calculated in my head, that the meal probably cost me less than 30!

I can't wait for the recession to end... If I always live as I do now, just think how rich I'll feel when wages actually reflect the cost of living again!

Comment

Working...
                          X