X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The History of the World in 100 Objects

This is so very cool!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mosl...it-series.html

It gives you a nice visual sense of the timeline!
    Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Re: The History of the World in 100 Objects

This is great to listen too, i used to have it on the radio on a Friday evening. the descriptions were excellent and the details of the history was brilliant.

The Ain Sakhri figurine's story was really interesting - it is a crude carving but very evocative of Human relations.

M
    In the end, only you know if you were right or wrong, so tolerate others beliefs, no matter how wrong, they may be right...

Comment

Absolutely beautiful pieces!

I confess that I did not read the text, but I really enjoyed the pictures ;D - enough that I may go back and read it later....
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

[quote author=B. de Corbin link=topic=471.msg6648#msg6648 date=1288030932]
        Absolutely beautiful pieces!

I confess that I did not read the text, but I really enjoyed the pictures ;D - enough that I may go back and read it later....
        [/quote]

you can actually hear some of the clips--I don't know if the whole thing is up or not, but I was listening yesterday while I wrote my paper.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

I will try to find the audio and post it if I find it! I would love to hear it myself!
          Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

Cool! I saw a lot of that stuff when I was there!

Comment

I like it ... The last one was interesting ... Why give people cell phones and a solar charger if there is no electricity and therefore no cellular towers ? ... Better to give them CB radios and a solar charger ... But then that wouldn't be so regulated as cellular service ... And it would work ...
              I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

We've moved rather quickly as a race haven't we?
                "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." - Khalil Gibran

Comment

Very cool, I really like the "Votes for Women" penny and the Jade dragon cup.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X