10 Reasons the Rest of the World Thinks the U.S. Is Nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 Reasons the Rest of the World Thinks the U.S. Is Nuts

The woman that wrote this is very angry,and I think with good reason.

Mr. England, unlike the calves and pigs for which you expressed so much empathy, I am not a beast of burden. I am a woman and I have these human rights.

A quote,and there is much more in the article.

"This week the Georgia State Legislature debated a bill in the House, that would make it necessary for some women to carry stillborn or dying fetuses until they 'naturally' go into labor. In arguing for this bill Representative Terry England described his empathy for pregnant cows and pigs in the same situation."
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: 10 Reasons the Rest of the World Thinks the U.S. Is Nuts

Okay, this country is starting to scare the flipping crap out of me. I'm ashamed to live in the United States anymore. If I had the money, I would seriously consider moving to another country.

Comment

Afghanistan? Saudi Arabia? Mexico? Iran? Appenzell Innerrhoden, Switzerland where women couldn't vote on local issues until the Federal Court forced the matter in 1991?

Fools in government are not an American phenomenon, there are dangerous idiots everywhere. May as well fight the ones closest to home.

Comment

Hm. Interesting.

I wonder why the author of that blog never stated his rational for supporting the bill. I doubt very much that it was "because cows and pigs do it," as the author states...
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Miranda View Post
          Switzerland where women couldn't vote on local issues until the Federal Court forced the matter in 1991?
          I actually wouldn't mind fleeing to Switzerland. Though women's suffrage was extraordinarily slow moving there, they've had women in the Federal Council since the 90s. So, though slow with allowing women to vote, very shortly thereafter they were being elected into office in high-ranking positions. We've supported women's right to vote much longer, but ask people if they want to see a woman president? Forget it.

Hopefully we're nearing the day. The first step, from my perspective in considering the US's MO, is allowing a black man in the Oval Office. We'll see just how long it takes.

What truly amazes me about this issue is that women, statistically a majority since they live longer and are more likely to survive early complications, do not use their voting power to stamp out misogynistic bills. My only possible theory is that they're too busy standing beside their husbands to think of their daughters.

Comment

Originally posted by Siloh View Post
            What truly amazes me about this issue is that women, statistically a majority since they live longer and are more likely to survive early complications, do not use their voting power to stamp out misogynistic bills. My only possible theory is that they're too busy standing beside their husbands to think of their daughters.
            That's funny. The first thought that came into my mind is that they have thought about the issues, and decided that they disagree with you.

I wonder why you would imagine that the only possible reason they could have for disagreeing with your call is that they are slaves of their husbands.

I'll ask K'Roe about it...
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Wow that just goes beyond pro-life. If the fetus is already dead, or will surely die, what exactly are you saving?

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                Wow that just goes beyond pro-life. If the fetus is already dead, or will surely die, what exactly are you saving?

Are you talking to me, DanieMarie? If so, I don't see how your statement connects to anything which I have said so far...

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  Are you talking to me, DanieMarie? If so, I don't see how your statement connects to anything which I have said so far...
                  No I wasn't at all. I just meant 'you' hypothetically....like 'what are you saving people?' I meant the dude in the article.

Sorry...poorly worded. It's been an exhausting day :/

Comment

Originally posted by Siloh View Post
                    Even though I'm technically pro choice and this is very off topic, I tend to find this idea offensive. It implies that women can't disagree with other women about issues. I hate to break it to you, but there is no sisterhood of the hive mind. It also implies that anyone who disagrees with you is weak minded or weak willed in some way. This may be the case of some "following their husband's orders" but I can assure you that even in the most conservative parts of Kansas women are allowed to speak their mind. These assumptions that women who disagree are just enslaved by men and need saving from themselves are just as detrimental to women's rights as some of these laws I believe.
                    my etsy store
                    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                    surrounded by plush, downy things,
                    ill prepared, but willing,
                    to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                      No I wasn't at all. I just meant 'you' hypothetically....like 'what are you saving people?' I meant the dude in the article.

Sorry...poorly worded. It's been an exhausting day :/
                      That's OK. You were probably referring to the bill itself? Because it does not make sense as presented by the article. The article says that "some" women would be required to carry the dead fetus, but I can't find any info on what the conditions would be that would force some women to do so. I've looked... Unless somebody can point me to some real info, I'm going to call this one busted.

Nobody would create a bill like that to try and end abortions. It would be garden teed to backfire, which would be worse that doing nothing.

What I have found is that Georgia is currently looking at a bill to push the end mak for abortions back three weeks, because of some questions regarding fetal development and the ability to feel pain. Michigan is looking at a similar bill. It's a complicated issue, but science is not able to provide the answer, so it does seem reasonable to put a controversial issue up for a vote.

CAelia, that's where I was going too. I'm wondering where the real misogynists are lurking...

Comment

I wonder why you would imagine that the only possible reason they could have for disagreeing with your call is that they are slaves of their husbands.
                        In apology to Caelia, yourself, and to end your wondering definitively now that I've cooled my engines, I have a real problem looking at these issues without looking at myself, who was pregnant by rape as an adolescent and had an abortion against the will of my abuser, who attempted to silence me with the same threats he used to silence me in the past. Rape is awful. Rape compounded with statutory rape is really very sad--the age contributes a lot to vulnerability and consequence in my opinion. Getting examined by a doctor when you have a history of being sexually abused is extremely painful and scary. Having an abortion feels, in my opinion, like getting disemboweled and having your soul spooned from your heart, and the emptiness is profound and visceral. Having an abortion because you were involuntarily and violently impregnated adds another layer of pain, maybe, though I can't speak to the difference in my experience, because it feels like another horrible violation.

However, every time issues of contraceptives and abortions come up IRL around me, the pro-life argument makes having an abortion sound like a tea party, and it's given me the very wrong impression that all pro-lifers are a) men and b) think having an abortion is like picking flowers in a meadow

Because of this experience, I have a really hard time accepting the issue as just another issue, and I take it very and directly personally, which is probably really bad for my discussion skills. So, in short, I get this ridiculous idea of mass enslavement because I've spent the better part of my life under a man's thumb, and I fear it.

I'd like to say that none of the above was meant to shock, nor do I expect stunned or pitying replies. If I weren't largely at peace with this part of my life, I sure as hell wouldn't post it on the Internet. I just wanted to give a real answer, because it explains my rashness better than retracting my offensive remarks. I'm only happy to have found a community where disagreement doesn't mean hatred and where I feel comfortable being myself, even if at the time, that self is fuming at the nostrils and saying rude and unfounded things because of my individual experience.

Comment

I understand where you're coming from. I was raped as well and am very familiar with how protective of my body I can be. In fact you'll find you're in good company here when it comes to rape. I think you'll even find B de Corbin agrees with you that rape shouldn't be viewed casually. My father was/ is abusive (won't go into all of it right now) and only referred to me as property rather than child/ daughter/ any implication I am his offspring, so I really have some perspective of how women get treated as second-class citizens. It's just problematic to let emotions make sweeping generalizations and really doesn't help anyone's cause.
                          my etsy store
                          My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                          surrounded by plush, downy things,
                          ill prepared, but willing,
                          to descend."

Comment

That's OK. You were probably referring to the bill itself? Because it does not make sense as presented by the article. The article says that "some" women would be required to carry the dead fetus, but I can't find any info on what the conditions would be that would force some women to do so. I've looked... Unless somebody can point me to some real info, I'm going to call this one busted.

Nobody would create a bill like that to try and end abortions. It would be garden teed to backfire, which would be worse that doing nothing.

What I have found is that Georgia is currently looking at a bill to push the end mak for abortions back three weeks, because of some questions regarding fetal development and the ability to feel pain. Michigan is looking at a similar bill. It's a complicated issue, but science is not able to provide the answer, so it does seem reasonable to put a controversial issue up for a vote.

CAelia, that's where I was going too. I'm wondering where the real misogynists are lurking...
                            To be honest, I was referring to the article, because this is the first I've heard about this bill. We don't really get wind of every bill that goes through in the US until it gets major publicity, especially when it's at the state level...despite what the title of the article says haha. So I kind of have to go by what's posted until it becomes a big enough issue or I find that I have enough time that I do more digging.

Comment

I agree,most of the state bills get little press unless someone brings them to light. In this election year they do get brought to our attention,but in a non election year,they might not get the same attention.

Another thing is most are not voted on by the public in the states,but passed by the state houses and senate's and only come to light after they are made law.
                              Last edited by anunitu; 20 Mar 2012, 13:59.
                              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                              X