Brighid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brighid

I've decided to take up Druidism--of which an experienced friend is willing to teach me--and I'd like for Brighid to be my patron(ess?). However, I don't know how to go about asking her to do that, much less establish any sort of connection with her. Do any of you know how I can reach her?

Re: Brighid

Looks like you posted in March and have had no responses. I'm kind of new here so take my advice for what it's worth.

I've felt a connection to Brigid for over two decades, though my initial contact with her was as a Catholic saint. As a Catholic, we prayed to God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, Mary, and all the saints. As an artist and a lover of metalwork, I came to appreciate her long ago.

My path has taken me away from Catholicism and definitely closer to Brigid.

I would think that you would reach out to her in prayer. I would also suggest reading and learning as much about her as you can, as that will help you to know her better. Meditate on her and focus on her.

I will defer to those more experienced and/or knowledgeable than my self, as I have only recently embarked on my Celtic path. Nor am I a druid and not on a path of Druidism. I am, however, of Irish descent.
    Last edited by Celtic Tiger; 18 Jun 2012, 10:51.

Comment

Start making or doing things that are associated with her and pay attention to the bits of inspiration that come.

When I'm smithing I find that Govannon nudges me to push further and learn more by doing, while Brighid gives nuggets of inspiration that lead to "what if I try X....." moments. It may just be my personality type, but I also find that neither one of them (especially Govannon) is very receptive to prayer or supplication but would rather be honored via deeds and good craftsmanship.

That said, Brighid does have sides other than being the goddess of blacksmiths, so you may develop a different sort of connection.
      Re: Living History Blog
      Ancient Celtic Clans

Comment

I would start by doing some research... If you've already done a little bit, do some more. Dig in deep and learn all that you can, from mythology to things that correspond with Brighid. I am also personally very fond of her, but I haven't yet tried to contact her either. After I finish my in-depth research, I plan on setting up a modest ritual with things that correspond to her, and things that she likes, and simply speaking to her... Pray and welcome her into your life! Best of luck to you in making a strong connection with her. Blessed Be!

Comment

I seem to have an attraction toward Brigid myself, not sure why yet though

let's see what happens

Comment

I don't believe that one can "choose" a patron per say. It has been my experience that the Gods and Goddesses will choose you, or come to you as needed. When you are attuned to a certain environment or aspect of reality then you begin to enter their realm. When I was in combat Morrigan would send me her Ravens. On black wings would come news of ill tidings and warnings to be weary. Brighid, the bright, the motherly, the inspiration of those who need it came to me after I left those bloody grounds. She enveloped me in her embrace and gave me the warm reminders of home. The Gods and Goddesses are one, one entity, and they show you the face you are willing to see. If you guide yourself in her direction she will welcome you. Don't be surprised though when the others enter your life.

- - - Updated - - -

Another quick note, Druidry is essentially a dead practice. This is more a lesson in terminology and guidance. A Druid is a priest of sorts, and like priests one needs a parish, a flock, a community to serve. If you have that at hand, and can become a spiritual teacher and guide for a people than you can become a Druid. I am here in Detroit, and have been all over the world. My Dog Tags said Celtic. Be a good Celt first. Understand the meaning of it, the history of it, the true nature of the faith. The Celtic religion is more than these "Druids" and their liturgy and ceremony. You can have that on your own. Don't seek a title. When you seek a title you give yourself and end. When you have reached that, then what do you do. Be an explorer, be an open mind. A Celt know that the world around them offers secrets that can only be seen by those who are open enough to see them. Your experience should be to open your mind to the beauty and horror of the world. See the contrast in things. Let your emotions swell. Let your hear become the open channel for which all things can be seen and felt. Don't become a Druid. Be the root that tangles through the Earth in search for life. Be the Sparrow that soars and sees the vastness of it all. Be the Star that explodes and brings life to the worlds. Most importantly, be yourself - because everyone else is taken.

Comment

Originally posted by laoch briste View Post
              I don't believe that one can "choose" a patron per say. It has been my experience that the Gods and Goddesses will choose you, or come to you as needed.
              This is certainly common, but it's not the only way. There are plenty of pagans who chose to worship and work closely with a particular deity, and had success with that. Heck, one of my two 'patrons' is a deity I chose, because I felt there was a large gap in my practice. Hasn't ever been an issue... There are also those who believe that initial spark or desire to worship a particular deity actually comes from that deity, too.
              Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Originally posted by laoch briste View Post
                I don't believe that one can "choose" a patron per say[sic]. It has been my experience that the Gods and Goddesses will choose you, or come to you as needed.
                I would largely agree with that because of the nature of word "patron". Although pagans tend to use it to mean "favorite", "favored", or "deity regularly honored", in fact the patron is the one who chooses to "support, protect, or champion someone or something" not the supplicant.

Now, that's not to say you can't have a favorite deity or one you regularly go to, but just because you do doesn't automatically make them your patron.
                Re: Living History Blog
                Ancient Celtic Clans

Comment

Working...
                X