X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ask a Pro Life Pagan

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    I have a friend, that in the midst of a pro-choice/pro-life debate (where both parties were actually quite similar in their beliefs, although the person they were debating with *was* in favor of outlawing abortion) made the statement "I contend that we are both for life...the difference is in the life we are for, first."

I think (without trying to put words in your mouth, Corbin...or commandeer your thread, its just something that I was reminded of reading this) that this a nuance most people, on both sides of the media-hyped divide aren't really aware of, and don't think about, when they think of the label. And, to some extent, its still an imperfect statement...but I think it describes more people than not.

Quite simply (at least, I think so...I could be wrong), if you don't think of a fetus as a person (and I don't) you will (more than likely) unilaterally put the needs (medical, emotional and otherwise) of the mother first...while if you do think of a fetus as a person, you would (I assume and welcome corrections here) think that any and all measures should be taken to preserve that life---but reasonable members of both groups would rather see prevention of unwanted pregnancies and support so that individuals that might choose otherwise would keep a child they might feel pressured to abort for economic reasons. Unfortunately, the same people that loudly proclaim the "pro-life" stance are also (in this country) the people that seemingly don't uphold such ideals outside the issue of abortion...and its become a big political mess.

</end foot in mouth>
    *applause*

Love everything about it.

Comment

Re: Ask a Pro Life Pagan

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
      LOL - I don't believe I've ever had to use patience in a conversation with you, Raphaeline. Thank you for your patience with me!

---------- Post added at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 AM ----------

Sometimes, Jembru, when a person has misunderstood you, all it means is that you have been misunderstood.

Here is the answer, as clear as I can make it -

If you look at the end result, my position, and the position of some people who refer to themselves as pro choice look the same. The difference is not in the end. The difference is in the beginning - it's a conceptual difference. The following is a description of this conceptual difference:

Pro Choice - emphasis on the word "choice." This group is focused on keeping the "choice" of abortion open. While I do agree that the option needs to remain open, keeping it open is not where I put my time and energy.

Pro Life - emphasis on the word "life." This group would like to see human fetuses carried to full term. This is what I want, and it is where I put my time and energy.

I am definitely Pro Life. Somebody could argue, I suppose, that I am also pro choice by default, but I would never self-identify as that because it isn't my focus at all.
      That does make your position clear. Then again I'm Pro Life and Choice. I value my life and my right to choose.

meep.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
      X