Friday the 13th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday the 13th

Is this date really unlucky? And if so, is it more unlucky for some religions etc than others?

For example, I know some Christians believe that 13 is unlucky because at the Last Supper there were thirteen people including, of course, Judas. There is also the mass arrest of hundreds of Knights Templar on Friday 13, 1307.

I believe the Norse also regarded 13 as unlucky; something to do with Loki being the thirteenth guest at a feast held by Odin.

But are there any beliefs regarding 13 or Friday the 13th among Celtic Pagans?

Re: Friday the 13th

Never heard the Loki thing.

The one I always heard was that a witch's coven was 12, so plus the devil made 13
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

13 is lucky in several other faiths
      Circe

Comment

I'm not particularly superstitious, but I do think that the fact other people are, makes this day a little more 'incident prone' than others (funny, how I brush off the statistics for Friday 13th, and yet accept the very similar statistics for the Full Moon, as a definite cause and affect relation.. gotta love how humans pick and choose belief this way).

I'm going for my usual bargain fruit and veg this morning, but then I will sleep through most of the hysteria. Thank the Goddess for night shift!!
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Oh I forgot about the 13th! Hmm as a Satanist...nope. Still just a day. I'm booooring. But I'll have some fun with it!
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
          X