• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Cleansing, Blessing and Protection

A home is built with peace and love,
    not with wood or stone;
    A home is a place where happiness lives,
    and memories are sown.

Ah, moving time. That blessed and glorious time of year for the changing of the apartments that comes with military life…or in this case, the end of military life (this is from my blog, of 16 Aug 2009). After six years of indentured servitude to the United States Navy, I am once again a free agent–well, almost…technically I owe two years to the Individual Ready Reserve and could feasibly be recalled to active duty. But I can wear my nose ring, dye my hair and have funky colored fingernails if I want to, so its all the same to me.

The hubby (escaping from the Navy 3 months prior to myself) and I have moved back to my childhood and family hometown, and into a decent and cheap (which is good since I’m unemployed, and he’s still looking for a job where he won’t be out of work half the time) town home. Being that we are in a somewhat stressful family situation, and that the previous tenants left under somewhat auspicious circumstance (she left him for another guy or some such), called for an unusually (for us) thorough home cleansing and blessing (the house feels much better now).

Touch the lintel and touch the wall,
    Nothing but blessings here befall!
    Bless the candle that stands by itself,
    Bless the book on the mantle shelf,
    Bless the pillow for the tired head,
    Bless the hearth and the light shed.
    Friends who tarry here, let them know
    A three fold blessing before they go.
    Sleep for weariness – peace for sorrow
    Faith in yesterday and tomorrow.
    Friends who go from here, let them bear
    The blessing of hope, wherever they fare.
    Lintel and windows, sill and wall,
    Nothing but good, this place befall.

from http://www.neworleansmistic.com/spel...singprayer.htm
    As a pragmatist, I believe in doing what works…and in my experience, home cleanings and blessing work. Personally, I recommend that anyone that moves into a new space, particularly if they rent or are moving into a place of high turnover (dorm room, BEQ or barracks, etc), performs a home cleansing and blessing–REGARDLESS of religious preference. This isn’t just a Pagan thing. I also recommend that the home should be re-cleansed and blessed after any major fight, bout of illnesses, etc, and if someone is living in long-term digs (yeah for you homeowners!!) on at least an annual basis (spring cleaning anyone?).

So why bother? Well, pardon the UPG, but bother because it makes the space yours. Home cleansing clears the air–metaphysically, philosophically, whatever mechanism floats the boat. It allows the slate to be wiped clean, while the home blessing allows the blueprint for going forward in the space from that moment on.

May this home be a place of happiness and health, of contentment, generosity and hope, a home of creativity and kindness. May those who visit and those who live here know only blessing and peace.

one variation of the Birkat Habayit
    Cleansing the home starts with actually cleaning. Pick up the broom and sweep. Bust out the bucket and the mop, the rags and the spray bottle. Liberally use elbow grease. Visualize your home clean and clear of negativity, anger, impatience, selfishness, arguments, and all those petty moments and feelings that might have accumulated, whether it be from your occupancy of the space, or from prior occupants as you clean. I would recommend natural cleaning products–lavender, lemon, cedar, rosemary, tea tree and peppermint are some of my favorite essential oils for cleaning products and are easily used with good ole Dr. Bonner’s, baking soda and vinegar…however, if you are not familiar or comfortable cleaning with these, use what makes you feel the space is clean (despite my preference for natural cleaning products, I spend enough time in the pool, that for me the smell of bleach is mentally the most divinely cleansing aroma I can think of, so when I feel that I need the big guns, I go for it).

Once your home is physically clean and mentally cleansed (or in conjunction with the physical cleaning and mental cleansing), feel free to banish/remove/purify/etc (choose the terminology/methodology that best suits your beliefs) the house of stagnant, unwelcome energy/feelings/vibes/juju/entities/etc, in a manner that is keeping with your religious preferences and theological opinions. Smudging, ringing of bells or chimes, sprinkling of salt or herbed water are all ways to cleanse and purify the space of negativity or undesirable energies. Personally, I am fond of a good smudging with some sweetgrass (smells better than sage) and a energetic bell ringing (performed by the munchkin–Sophie loves to make noise).

After the home is clean and cleansed, invite good *whatever* (spirits/energy/juju/etc that you are a fan of) into your home. A house blessing/protection spell, ritual, prayer, whatever–from KISS to big elaborate ritual can be useful in this regard. We generally keep it short and sweet, and tangible. We sharpie under cabinets and window sills, in door jambs and closets and appropriate blessing verse. “Let love and laughter bless those that live here, May peace and passion dwell in their hearts.” in the main rooms, and “May the hearth and heart of the home bring sustenance to the body and soul” in the kitchen. Another favorite, to fill the home with good energy is a house warming party (if you just moved in), or a gathering of your favorite people in general, to fill the home with positive energy (make sure you don’t invite drama-types).
    Last edited by thalassa; 22 Jul 2015, 03:18.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Home Cleansing, Blessing and Protection

(from the pre-crash cache)

House Protection Spell Bottle
    Since the earliest spell bottles were created for protection, it seems fitting to begin with one made for this purpose. Ideally, such a bottle will be walled up in a new home under construction, or placed under the floorboards. If this is impossible, simply place it in a position of importance somewhere in the home.

Items needed:

1 glass jar with cork stopper or lid (a small canning jar is fine)

1/2 to 1 cup salt (depending on size of the jar)

3 cloves garlic
    9 bay leaves
    7 TBS dried basil
    4 TBS dill seeds
    1 TBS sage
    1 TBS anise
    1 TBS black pepper
    1 TBS fennel
    1 bowl

In the morning, ideally on a bright and sunny day, assemble all items.
    Place the salt into the bowl and say:
    Salt that protects, protect my home and all within it.
    Add the cloves of garlic to the bowl and say:
    Garlic that protects, protect my home and all within it.
    Crumble the bay leaves, place in the bowl and say:
    Bay that protects, protect my home and all within it.
    Add the basil and say:
    Basil that protects, protect my home and all within it.
    Add dill and say:
    Dill that protects, protect my home and all within it.
    Add the sage and say:
    Sage that protects, protect my home and all within it.
    Add the anise and say:
    Anise that protects, protect my home and all within it.
    Add the pepper and say:
    Pepper that protects, protect my home and all within it.
    Add the fennel and say:
    Fennel that protects, protect my home and all within it.

Mix together the herbs and the salt with your hands. Through the movement of your hands and fingers, lend energy to the potent protective items. Visualize your home as a shining, safe, guarded, secure place of sanctuary. Pour the mixture into the jar. Seal tightly and place in your home with the following words:
    Salt and herbs, nine times nine
    Guard now this home of mine.
    It is done.

from http://www.everythingunderthemoon.ne...tion-spell.htm
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

My own thoughts on making a house a home is blood, sweat, and sacrifice.
      Blessed are the rich, for they possess the earth and its glory.
      Blessed are the strong, for they can conquer kingdoms.
      Blessed are they with strong kinsmen, for they shall find help.
      Blessed are the warlike, for they shall win wealth and renown.
      Jones, George Fenwick
      Honor in German Literature

Comment

This is great!
        I happen to move a lot too, being active duty military. It's a pleasure to meet another active duty Pagan!
        The Past is our Cradle, not our Prison; there is Danger as well as Appeal in its Glamour. The Past is for Inspiration, not Immitation; Continuation, not Repetition.

Its a long way back to Eden, dear. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Comment

[quote author=weareoceansaway link=topic=54.msg2015#msg2015 date=1286953004]
          This is great!
          I happen to move a lot too, being active duty military. It's a pleasure to meet another active duty Pagan!
          [/quote]

unfortunately, the forum ate the rest of the post!! I am now doing my last two in the IRR, and using my awesome post 9/11 GI Bill ;D
          sigpic

Comment

Keeping him out of the room would probably just be the simplest thing to do.

Comment

I tend to cleanse my home when I clean for Yule celebrations, spring clean, summer and autum. By doing this I get rid of all bad energy and negativity during the differnt season of the year

Comment

This is an awesome thread to know about since I am moving shortly! I will definitely give it a good clean and possibly mark some areas off, but maybe not in a place where it can be seen if we ever decided to sell the place.
                Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

This looks like a better place to put this than starting a new thread...

I don't quite know where it came from, but on the way home from work this morning I was hit with the sudden urge to completely cleanse and bless the flat. I've mentioned before that I speak to the flat and leave offerings for the spirits that inhabit it with us. The last time I did a proper top to bottom spiritual cleansing, was during the Autumn equinox when I was still sharing the flat with Michelle. I'd wanted to move in with JP at the time, but we couldn't find anything as perfect for our needs as the flat I was already occupying. So while doing my usual autumn cleaning, I added salt and sage to the water and said a chant, asking the spirits of the flat to help JP and I take over ownership (Michelle was in a relationship at the time, so it was very possible). Sure enough, the following spring, Michelle came to me to say she's moving out and asked if I'd like to take over the tenancy. The landlord was in agreement, and was even so kind as to let us pay the rent in arreas, rather than the usual system of a month's rent up front, because he knew it was sudden and we were struggling to get the rent and deposit together.

The downside was that the flat hadn't been decorated since before Michelle moved in, whereas it would have been refreshed between tenants. We're gradually painting and papering what we can, as we can afford it, but there's a little way to go yet.

It has it's drawbacks and shoddy craftmanship (like the plug sockets being too low so some adaptors don't fit, or the toilet being too far back so that the seat doesn't stay up unless you hook the lid under the system, but I like the flat. JP on the other hand, isn't so keen. There was a period whereby the light in the toilet would only work for me. It would get stuck if JP tried to turn it off or on, but I would speak to the flat and sure enough, it worked for me. It was then, that I thought I should start leaving offerings, and I started speaking to the flat quite often, like some crazy woman. The toilet had been poorly decorated. Someone had just put backing paper up, which ran horizontal, and had been painted with cheap paint over and over. We put up new paper (which needs replacing because it had a rough back so wouldn't adhere properly), and replaced the carpet with laminate tiles (who puts carpet in the toilet??). The flat seemed to appreciate the effort, and the dodgy light has worked for both of us every time since then (although I still say 'thank you' whenever I switch it off, partly out of habit and partly out of respect).

Still, I never once thought to do a full spiritual cleanse. The book I'm reading at the minute does mention house cleansing in the first chapter, so it was probably the book that planted the idea. It came so suddenly though.

I'm usually desperate for my bed when I get home, but I was super-charged with energy. I opened all the windows wide, tidied and did the dishes, and then filled the kitchen sink bowl with hot water and Inca sun salts. I washed down everything with it.

Usually it takes me a few hours to clean the whole flat, but I managed to wipe down every surface, even the ones that I usually skip because they're not visible, in under 40 minutes. I was chanting softly as I went, and changed the water between rooms. Then I hoovered, and emptied the bag straight away, before going around with incense so the smoke could reach into those places too high or too hard to reach with the cleaning cloth.

Finally, I set up a hearth candle on the fireplace that I can light each day as a blessing for the spirits. I invited them to join me in a glass of wine, pouring some into the offering dish and some into my glass. I spoke to the spirits a while before wrapping up and heading to bed.

I got home at 8:20am and was in bed before 10. This is a record for me. The flat really does feel lighter. For a while I've been complaining that no matter how much I clean and tidy, I can't rest and the flat still feels dirty. I thought it was just that the paintwork needed a touch up, but I did that and still felt the same. So I blamed the carpet (which I can't do much about) and figured I just have to live with it. Yet now, I think the feeling I had was that it was spiritually dirty. Our lives had stagnated in that place and we've become stuck. Now that I've regained control of my mind, I think it's just the right time to refresh and get the energy moving again not only in our flat, but generally in our lives!
                  夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

We just bought our first home. It was a forclosure that needed some work. The previous owners were pretty terrible people from what we hear so I'm glad I found this thread. It will come handy I think.

Comment

I just wanted to swing by an add a cute little story to my home cleansing and blessing saga. At the time of the cleansing, I couldn't find my little hand cymbals that I used to use as part of my home cleansings, so I just clapped my hands a few times in every room. This morning I was looking for something else (a tiny pewter owl that seems to have vanished.. wait.. boo, I thought I'd remembered where it was while typing, never mind), and I came by the cymbals. I decided to go around and purify the energy with them. Dolly had been asleep on her tower, but came down and followed me around, watching intently as I went; just like the curiosity she'd shown the other day. It seemed like she enjoyed the sound those chimes make!

Originally posted by Draconis Incendium View Post
                      We just bought our first home. It was a forclosure that needed some work. The previous owners were pretty terrible people from what we hear so I'm glad I found this thread. It will come handy I think.
                      This flat was once rented by a pair of British nationalists who were apparently quite racist and unpleasant. They had every wall in the flat painted red white or blue, so I am glad to have cleared away any negativity they'd left behind. I think the flat still remembers though, and carries a feint energy of them. It's probably because the paint was never removed, simply painted over. So I think I'm going to start cleansing and blessing the flat a little more often from now on. In fact, I know I should be doing this anyway.
                      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I give the kids noise-makers during home cleansing. They are very enthusiastic...
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                          I give the kids noise-makers during home cleansing. They are very enthusiastic...
                          I can imagine that would add quite some oomph to the ritual! I try to be cheerful and lively as I work, but there's nothing can quite match the energy of children enjoying themselves. I just have to content myself with a kitty's curiosity!

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I just thought of something I'd wanted to ask about. I've been thinking of using glass baubles around the flat, particularly in the hallway, as witch balls. Actually, I've been wanting to do this for quite some time, and I did have one up at my mum's. Has anyone else done this? Is there anything I should take into consideration first? I'm not even sure they were ever meant for use in the home, or if they were typically hung outside the building.

I know Tylluan has some authentic witch balls, so maybe she's the one to ask.

Comment

Bangs broom handle on ceiling...Knock of the racket you young wipper snappers...I'll give you something to cast out...!!!
                            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

So the plan for our house cleansing is coming together. The materials are almost all gathered. We have our white sage, supplies to hand make a beeswax candle, pure white beach sand from Pensacola Beach gathered under a full moon, and an heirloom silver bowl. We are a family of differing faiths so the ritual is complicated but interesting also.

Comment

Working...
                              X