Graveyard dirt for protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graveyard dirt for protection

Here is a little prayer/blessing I wrote for spreading graveyard dirt in my windows and door thresholds for protection:

May earth where souls who rest abide
    Keep the evil safely outside
    Protect the home where we reside
    And let in light to us inside.
    So mote it be.

Re: Graveyard dirt for protection

I have a question. I had always been taught by Voodoo practitioners that you don't use graveyard dirt unless you're willing to sorta "make a deal". Is this true to your knowledge?
    my etsy store
    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
      I have a question. I had always been taught by Voodoo practitioners that you don't use graveyard dirt unless you're willing to sorta "make a deal". Is this true to your knowledge?
      It's not so much about making deals as it is about showing respect or asking permission.

There's two types of 'graveyard dirt'. One is actual earth from a graveyard or cemetery. My own personal ethics & morals do not condone the use of items taken from a place where the dead rest, but it has traditional uses for protection, adding power to magic & hexing. Depending on what you're using it for you may want to leave an offering in exchange for it, ask permission to take it from the cemetery guardians (Whoever They may be) or 'steal' it. With a lot of negative spells, items are stolen because if you take something under cover of night and with nefarious intent, it adds that energy to the work.

The other type of graveyard dust (also called goofer dust) is an incense blend The ingredients vary, but most traditionally it's got ground dried sage or mullein leaf (gives it that fluffy dustbunny-like texture), frankincense & myrrh (for the Guedde & beloved dead), maybe some file powder (sassafras) or asafoetida. It tends to be stinkier than pleasant.

Personally, I wouldn't use graveyard dirt of either kind for protection unless I was invoking the protection of my ancestors, beloved dead or deities/entities associated with death and dying - but that's my path.
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, perze. I learned something today
        my etsy store
        My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
        surrounded by plush, downy things,
        ill prepared, but willing,
        to descend."

Comment

If graveyard dirt was used for protection, it sure failed pretty badly. Considering all the people around it are dead.

/troll

sawwy
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

If you properly buy it and pay for it, it's protective. You have to put a piece of silver at the grave and/or something symbolic of preparing a feast for the dead...food or even alcoholic beverage or a cigar.

You can also use it for necromatic spells.

And yes, sometimes even curses.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
              If graveyard dirt was used for protection, it sure failed pretty badly. Considering all the people around it are dead.
              I like to think that it protects the dead from the living.

Digging's hard work, and backhoes aren't all that inconspicuous.
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I have a couple of graveyard pine cones from my family's cemetery (used to be on my family's land back in the 1800s). I figure, since the tree grew there, it has just as much protective power as the dirt. If nor more so, since it also has the energy from the tree. I didn't have time to make the relationship with the ancestors like I wanted to, so I didn't take any of the dirt.
                "All four winds blow steady, singing 'hie, the open road is home!'"
                http://hagstones.blogspot.com

Comment

I danced barefoot on my parent's grave. I thought they would get a kick out of it. Better then me crying my eyes out. Figured they get enough of that with the neighbors.
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
                  X