Duck Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duck Day!

My wife is in second heaven because we just got back from town, and she has a new load of ducklings. Six more, to be exact.

Here they are in their little travel box -

This little fellow is showing off his fauxhawk -

And here's K'Roe, showing how happy she is with a rather perturbed looking duckling -

(notice how they both have the same look in their eye...)
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Duck Day!

They're so cute!

But, oh, that plotting gaze...

Comment

are these laying ducks,or are they fattining for Christmas ducks?
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Congratulations! They're adorable. I'm off to look for ducklings (in the wild, not for taking home) on Monday. I collect a magazine aimed at under tens, and like to do all the suggested activities in it. One of them this month, is to spot some lambs and some ducklings, so we're off to Jesmond dene! I know it sounds silly, but it just gives us ideas for things to do and keeps like fun and active!
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Siloh View Post
          They're so cute!

But, oh, that plotting gaze...

http://www.asofterworld.com/index.php?id=136
          That's especially funny because if you've ever raised ducks, that's exactly what they're like. A satelite could crash to earth ten feet away from them, and they'd skuttle over to look for worms in the pit.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

D'awww! D'ucks!
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
              are these laying ducks,or are they fattining for Christmas ducks?
              Either the former, or neither.

Currently we have 11 males and 1 female. We have no eggs, the female isn't happy (horny males will literally kill her), and the males are lonely. Not good for anybody, but they're really my wife's pets. Ideally you'd want either no males, or if you want ducklings in the future, you'd want a ratio of at least 1:3, males/females.

Since we have 11 males and 1 female right now, we need to get at least 32 females out of the six ducklings we bought.

Wish us luck!

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
              Congratulations! They're adorable. I'm off to look for ducklings (in the wild, not for taking home) on Monday. I collect a magazine aimed at under tens, and like to do all the suggested activities in it. One of them this month, is to spot some lambs and some ducklings, so we're off to Jesmond dene! I know it sounds silly, but it just gives us ideas for things to do and keeps like fun and active!
              Doing silly things is the reason we do the things that aren't.

Or something. I think if I work on that sentence I can make it better.

Uhmmm... It is not for their own sakes that serious tasks are undertaken, it is so that we may not always need to be serious that serious tasks are so seriously undertaken. (no good. Too pompous - and I think I'm loosing the thread of what I was trying to say anyway).

Comment

Your wise words worked for me anyway Corbin.. we work hard to play hard, or something? Ah whatever, lets just enjoy the ducks. Does your wife get males to save them from the chop? If so, that's very sweet. Also, didn't you used to keep bees? Or am I confusing you with another forum member?
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                  Your wise words worked for me anyway Corbin.. we work hard to play hard, or something? Ah whatever, lets just enjoy the ducks. Does your wife get males to save them from the chop? If so, that's very sweet. Also, didn't you used to keep bees? Or am I confusing you with another forum member?
                  Yup - or maybe "don't run with scissors."

Well, sometimes. Come fall, she'll be offered a free birds by everybody whose relatives thought ducklings would make a good pet. Wifey will take females by preference, but you can't turn down some little kid's pet that has to go. We get a lot of animals this way

We get a lot of males because we get straight run ducklings, which means "not picked over for sex" (I think it actually means "not picked over carefully for sex." Males have only a fraction of the value of females). The usual procedure is to buy straight run, raise them 'till you can sex them, then eat the males. Eat the females later as they stop laying. We just keep them all.

Yes - I'm the bee guy (Madness also had bees). This year, I think the bees will be on hold... Wifey and I got some big Homestead renovation work to do.

Comment

I'm finding myself a little jealous! I wish I had the space and time for more pets. The closest I ever got was volunteering at city farms and riding stables as a kid, then working at an animal shelter after graduation. One day though... One day... (sigh).

I have a soft spot for bees. That's why it stuck in my memory that you had them. I'm really worried about them here in the UK (I know they're having problems in the US too), because they came out early due to the heat wave last week, and now we're having snow. This is going to have massive implications. If I could, I'd keep them, just for the sake of assisting their survival.

Comment

Hopefully the local bees will be OK. The cold will set them back a bit, mostly because it may kill early blooms they need for food - the bee grubs need pollen to grow, so once the weather settles, they'll be fine. But the fruit harvest will suffer.

I'll pick out one of the ducklings to be Jembru's duck. You can have a duck foster pet. Pic to follow...

Comment

Glad to hear they are pets. As a child one Easter we got a Chick,and if you don't have the room(like a farm or some land) that is a bad idea. Chickens do not make good house pets. It ended up going to a farm(Mom and dad said it was a NICE farm where the chicken would live in a heaven like place) being older I know that chicken ended up being dinner,but that is the adult realization that we eat them.
                        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post

I'll pick out one of the ducklings to be Jembru's duck. You can have a duck foster pet. Pic to follow...
                          How did I miss this? You'd do that? Awww, thank you! I eagerly await the photos! x

Comment

LOL - wifey had them swimming in the bathtub last night. It was hilarious because they LOVE to completely submerge and swimm underwater like penguins, which is pretty funny to see.

I have one picked out for you, Jembru. It (not sure if it's a he or she yet) has a black patch on the breast, so it's easy to pick out - the ducks should be mostly white otherwise.

Comment

Kyaaa, ducklings! It made me smile when I needed a little fluff today. Also, at the local bookstore, there was a female mallard duck chilling out next to the doors. They usually have their mate nearby, so I hope she found who she was looking for.

Comment

Working...
                              X