Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Crystals) I am having trouble understanding this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Crystals) I am having trouble understanding this...

How are stones used?

I understand they all have different uses, but how do you *use* them?

I am sure everyone uses them differently, I just don't understand at all.

Thank you.

Re: (Crystals) I am having trouble understanding this...

They're used pretty much the same way as many tools are used. For spellwork they can be anointed with oils, made into jewelery, added to charm bags, attached to wands, arranged on altars, hidden in appropriate places, carried in your pocket or bag, buried, used to etch symbols into candles....

The only limits in spells are the caster's creativity and imagination.
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

Comment

A friend of mine keeps a collection on her altar and she wears different stones for different problems. Like when she's really stressed she wears a hematite bracelet to relieve the stress (?? not sure if that's the actual stone, sounds right though, its black).

I used to carry around a chunk of amethyst when I was upset, or a bunch of those mancala stones, the ones also sometimes found at the bottom of fish bowls. The amethyst was comforting because I'd had it since I was very young, and the noise of the mancala stones clanking was very soothing to me.

Basically, it's one of those things where you can make what you want of it. Of course, you can find specific uses for specific stones online, some places have very nice lists.
      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

[quote author=tigersgrowl1093 link=topic=487.msg6590#msg6590 date=1288018965]
        How are stones used?

I understand they all have different uses, but how do you *use* them?

Thank you.
        [/quote]

Some people feel that various stones or metals (and plants, animal products like claws, teeth, & fur, perfumed oils, colors, basically any object with unique colors or natural origins) have certain properties, associations or 'vibrations'. Stones and crystals were very popular during the New Age trend that began in the late 70's, early 80's.

Rose quartz is said to be a 'love' stone - for one, it's a soft pink color, which resonates with the heart chakra (green stones also resonate to the heart chakra). It's supposed to 'heal the heart', mend wounds between friends and lovers, help people grow closer, that kind of thing. You could wear a rose quartz if you wanted to learn to be more compassionate and loving, or give it to a friend or loved one who had suffered a hurt.

Hematite, because it's a dark color, is often used as a 'grounding' stone. It resonates in a way that closes the chakras (especially the root or base chakra, home of sexuality and passionate anger) down, thereby shutting off your spiritual energy flow. It helps you reconnect with the earth, which is a heavy, practical element. Black stones like hematite, black tourmaline, black onyx, etc. also 'absorb' negativity. I've been known to take a decent sized piece of black 'rainbow' obsidian (it's black with iridescent rainbow colored rings in it) with me to work when there's a lot of gossip and backstabbing going on. I don't know if it actually helps or if people see the egg sitting on my desk & just don't want to be beaned in the head with it.

Like Clive and Shahaku mentioned, you can make what you want of it. Some people 'feel' the energy of stones more strongly than others. You can wear them in jewelry, carry them in a pocket as a 'touchstone' or worry stone, you can grind them into powders (gotta be careful with that since most stone dusts will at the very least irritate your lungs if inhaled, and some are toxic) and add them to colored waters (you let sunlight shine through the glass and it transmits the energy of the color & powdered stone into you through magical association), etc.

A couple of books you could pick up for more info might be:

The Crystal Bible (there's 2 volumes) - I've got this one currently sitting on my shelf. My husband is a rockhound, and it's proven to be a great field guide due to the high-quality photos.

Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem and Metal Magic

Love is in the Earth

There are also countless websites out there with crystal & gem dictionaries/encyclopedias.
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

scientifically each stone is composed of a certain configuration of minerals. same thing with herbs, they have certain chemical compositions... its from studying minerals and natural chemicals that we actually evolved it into modern medicine. also, each different object depending on how its created (composition and creation process) does have its own vibration, its also been proven that such as a certain frequency of sound can actually physically move objects. it is possible that a vibration of a crystal could effect a certain type of tissue and therefore help certain ailments. also that the minerals or chemicals contained within could react with whatever the ailment is to help it.
          "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

Sorry if I repeat anything that has already been said

Crystals have been known to have powerful healing properties for anyone that uses them, although that statement is partially true, it's not entirely believable. It's mostly about finding crystals that are linked in with your personalised vibration, or their vibrations may link with certain symptoms. For using crystals when healing, some find it best to wear the crystal in a form or jewellery. Personally I'd wear a necklace because it's more centred, but any other jewellery is absolutely fine. Another way of using them for healing purposes is to meditate with them, imagining they're vibrational energies getting to the core of the problem and healing it. Some people find that simple contact from a crystal to the area needed is just as effective, for this you may need to lie down, depending where you intend to use the crystal. Bathing with the crystal is another alternative, but this works best with people who's star sign is in the water element. Crystals can also be used in elixirs, but this can be dangerous depending on the type of stone you are using as some are in fact poisonous.

[quote author=tigersgrowl1093 link=topic=487.msg6590#msg6590 date=1288018965]

[/quote]

Personally, I just use contact. It's simple and effective, and is often the most comfortable way to do it.

Crystals can also help align the different chakras (energy points) in your body. They have corresponding colours and i'd strongly recommend, the contact method when using this, because you can put the crystal at each point and it's energies will focus there. Not anywhere else like it might do if you used an elixir or any other method.

Hope this helps

x
            "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
            - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

One word of caution here ... Just because all the books and "authorities" say that a certain stone will help a certain cancer don't use a 2 ounce rock on your aunt Mable's football size tumor and expect instant 100% recovery ... Everything must be tempered with a dose of possible alternate outcomes ... But as others have said, there is "something" about stones that works ... How, who knows ...

Exit the cynic ...
              I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

[quote author=magusjinx link=topic=487.msg7815#msg7815 date=1288304909]
                One word of caution here ... Just because all the books and "authorities" say that a certain stone will help a certain cancer don't use a 2 ounce rock on your aunt Mable's football size tumor and expect instant 100% recovery ... Everything must be tempered with a dose of possible alternate outcomes ... But as others have said, there is "something" about stones that works ... How, who knows ...

Exit the cynic ...
                [/quote]

I think a certain amount of cynicism is healthy and practical. It's not a good idea to use anything as a one-time cure-all: it won't work.
                Stones/crystals are tools, but they're not the only tools.

Personally, I consecrate my stones, then keep them in. A charm bag. When I feel the need of one, I take it out and hold it in my hand. The feel of the stones often helps me with problems.

Comment

Working...
                X