Rituals on Cissbury Ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rituals on Cissbury Ring

I was taking a walk up Cissbury Ring the other day (a hill on the South Downs in Sussex) and noticed a large tree (an English oak) that drew my attention. I felt drawn to it and I wanted to take a closer look. In the shade of the tree there was what I assume to be some form of protection circle made up of small stones in a semi circle, with a curved "gateway" looking break in the pattern along the flat edge of the semi circle. The inside of the semi circle was crisscrossed by larger stones, and nestled at two points along the lines of larger stones were a bundle of lavender and a pouch of seeds (I couldn't tell from what plant they were). A small pouch of seeds was nestled in the branching point of the oak where the main boughs all originate. There was also a symbol painted on to the tree in red: a triangle containing several concentric circles that looked like an eye. However I am not sure the symbol is relevant as I can't imagine a pagan graffiting a tree.

I was certain that this set-up was part of a pagan ritual as I remember similar rituals from back when I was a pagan. Does what I have described ring any bells with anyone? I would really like to know as I am very interested in the anthropological side of paganism and pagan rituals.
Working...
X